SX550J-G Class & The Tank 25mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Pedersen

Mar 13, 2020
The setup itself is perfect, I just need a few pointers in a couple of areas.

I installed the SXi software and by mistake I installed the SX550J-B instead of SX550J-G and I have no idea how to redo it. Every time I try to install -G it just hangs untill the 5 min abort timer. I tried removing all files in the usb_driver folder, at no result.

Another thing, what kind of coils would you use in this setup? I have no idea. I have a friend who knows his stuff with coils, I just need to know wich is best for this particular setup around 140watt with lots of kick and flavor.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
The setup itself is perfect, I just need a few pointers in a couple of areas.

I installed the SXi software and by mistake I installed the SX550J-B instead of SX550J-G and I have no idea how to redo it. Every time I try to install -G it just hangs untill the 5 min abort timer. I tried removing all files in the usb_driver folder, at no result.

Another thing, what kind of coils would you use in this setup? I have no idea. I have a friend who knows his stuff with coils, I just need to know wich is best for this particular setup around 140watt with lots of kick and flavor.

Not sure which file you are talking about or which OS you are on, post both and maybe i can help

If Windows, the process to remove a program is to do it from the control panel or settings depending on your version of windows.

This *may* not remove driver files or registry entries however, depends on the uninstall routine, if this isnt done well or at all then yes you can have trouble with orphaned registry entries or driver files

But remove the program entirely, then reboot and try installing again would be the normal logic

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
@stylemessiah, ccleaner can be used very carefully after using add and remove programs to remove orphaned files and registry entries.

But you have to be very careful.

Not necessary to warn me about CCleaner, ive been in IT for 30+ years, and if i had $1 for everytime someone hosed their windows with CCleaner i could have retired years ago :)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Im on Windows 10 with SXi-v2866-Setup-20180611-1443-English installed. I'll try the uninstall and use ccleaner after and see how goes :)

Thanks for all your replies <3 I'll check out steam-engine.org and I'll repost what I find out with the Firmware for my SXMini G Class Black and Golden edition

Okay, ive downloaded it and installed, obviously i cant go any further without a yihi mod.

The installer they use is a good one and does a proper job of cleaning up on uninstall

Djlsb did a firmware update tutorial ages ago, that may be useful

Theres also this upgrade PDF from Yihi

http://www.yihisxmini.com/Upfile/file/20170527/14958755503906126.pdf

Im starting to wonder if maybe the point youre having the issue is where youre trying to flash the firmware update and this is where you mean you used the wrong file?...i hope this isnt the case, because uploading the incorrect firmware to a device is universally known, whether its this device or android etc, as bricking your device (not ideal) - theres two kinds of bricking, a soft (usually recoverable) and hard (less recoverable). No idea if this is where youre at, or whether the Yihi even allows you to upload the wrong firmware to it...i hope not, i dont know the procedure to recover from that

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I dont see where youre getting the B and G from that package, doesnt exist when i install it

So, thinking youre actually talking about firmware, I downloaded the latest firmware file

SXmini G Class V8.101-New UI-20171229.rar

Upon extracting that theres the main folder:

And under that folders:

SX550A-V8.101-SXmini-Logo-20171229
SX550J-B-V8.101-SXmini-Logo-20171229
SX550J-C-V8.101-SXmini-Logo-20171230
SX550J-G-Class-V8.101-SXmini-Logo-20171229

And theres the only reference ive seen to -B and -G files, perhaps you extracted the wrong folder or youre pointing the firmware upgrade file dialogue at the wrong folder?

Watch the video above and tell me the time in that closest to where youre having issues

• Love
Reactions: Marper

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I opened the SXi software and under connection and install driver I by mistake took the -B and not -G and now I have no clue how to change it. Everytime I connect it to my PC it shows as: SX550J-B

Okay, approaching it as a registry issue (thought he uninstaller will remove main program files and main registry entries, there may be randomly named device keys in the registry that the uninstall program wont know about), try this:

Close the SX software....then

1) Visit nirsoft and download Regscanner

Search Registry tool for Windows

Pick the version for your Windows version, for most PC's made in the last 5 years, the Download RegScanner for x64 link will be the correct download

Note: some antivirus's may report and try and block thigns form Nirsoft, so you may need to temporarily disable your AV to use this. Its 10000% safe, its just some utilities from Nirsoft do allow you to do things like recover passwords etc. Rest assured that tonnes of IT people use Nirsoft utils day in day out...

2) Open downloaded zip and run RegScanner.exe

3) In the Find String box, type SX550J and then press Scan at the bottom

4) When the scan is complete:

If theres a result in the window, try right clicking the result, and from the menu that appears, click Delete Selected Keys/Items

Repeat for any items that appear.

Then try the Connection again

If theres not a result in the window, start over with a new scan (File, then New Scan) and type yihi into the Find String Box, then when scan completes:

a) click in the results window and Press CTRL + A or choose Select All from the Edit menu

b) Click the File menu, then click on Create Delete .Reg File and save it somewhere easy to find

c) Open the newly created file from b) and copy and paste the contents into a PM to me, and ill have a squiz through it to see what may be causing the issue. If i find it then i can easily send back the file with only the reg entries that need to be removed, which you can then easily merge and remove....and hopefully solve it the plan b way :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mordacai

Dan Pedersen

Mar 13, 2020
Okay, approaching it as a registry issue (thought he uninstaller will remove main program files and main registry entries, there may be randomly named device keys in the registry that the uninstall program wont know about), try this:

Close the SX software....then

1) Visit nirsoft and download Regscanner

Search Registry tool for Windows

Pick the version for your Windows version, for most PC's made in the last 5 years, the Download RegScanner for x64 link will be the correct download

Note: some antivirus's may report and try and block thigns form Nirsoft, so you may need to temporarily disable your AV to use this. Its 10000% safe, its just some utilities from Nirsoft do allow you to do things like recover passwords etc. Rest assured that tonnes of IT people use Nirsoft utils day in day out...

2) Open downloaded zip and run RegScanner.exe

3) In the Find String box, type SX550J and then press Scan at the bottom

4) When the scan is complete:

If theres a result in the window, try right clicking the result, and from the menu that appears, click Delete Selected Keys/Items

Repeat for any items that appear.

Then try the Connection again

If theres not a result in the window, start over with a new scan (File, then New Scan) and type yihi into the Find String Box, then when scan completes:

a) click in the results window and Press CTRL + A or choose Select All from the Edit menu

b) Click the File menu, then click on Create Delete .Reg File and save it somewhere easy to find

c) Open the newly created file from b) and copy and paste the contents into a PM to me, and ill have a squiz through it to see what may be causing the issue. If i find it then i can easily send back the file with only the reg entries that need to be removed, which you can then easily merge and remove....and hopefully solve it the plan b way :)
Can't seem to PM you but I got the file for you. Btw, it had alot of results in regscanner but none could be removed

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Can't seem to PM you but I got the file for you. Btw, it had alot of results in regscanner but none could be removed

Try emailing it to me if you like: adrian.m.miller@gmail.com

About to go to bed soon (its 3:35AM), so may not look at it till i get up again in about 6 hours...

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Since you installed the wrong version of the firmware on the mod, you might have to contact YiHi or a dealer to get it put to right. I am not aware of any factory reset/bricked mod mode that will allow you to force the correct firmware to install. It's nothing to do with your computer or the files on it preventing the other firmware from loading, a clean installation of the SXi software won't fix the problem as it is with the mod itself.

The software should not of allowed you to choose the wrong firmware, a simple check would have told it what device was connected, but YiHi is not know for their programming skills. o_O

Just my :2c:, hopefully you can get it sorted easily.

• Agree
Reactions: lupinehorror

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Since you installed the wrong version of the firmware on the mod, you might have to contact YiHi or a dealer to get it put to right. I am not aware of any factory reset/bricked mod mode that will allow you to force the correct firmware to install. It's nothing to do with your computer or the files on it preventing the other firmware from loading, a clean installation of the SXi software won't fix the problem as it is with the mod itself.

The software should not of allowed you to choose the wrong firmware, a simple check would have told it what device was connected, but YiHi is not know for their programming skills. o_O

Just my :2c:, hopefully you can get it sorted easily.

I think we got to the bottom of it and it seems he's not getting as far as the firmware upload, its a problem with load the correct usb driver, so not a bricking issue as i worried it might be...

Reactions: TrollDragon

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
For those playing along at home....

I got the scan results, showing any registry hits for sx550j, via email

When you install a program, some parts are set by the installer in a static path for files, and in static locations for most registry entries. But for drivers (and some other things) their classes, enumerated devices registry keys they get assigned random keys or GUID keys, to stop any entries being duplicated or overwritten (collison)...for example the bold part of the following reg key is a (random) class GUID

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}\0000

As these are generated randomly by windows when the drivers are installed, after the main program is finished being installed (the YiHI driver installer is post-install), the main Yihi installer doesnt know anything about them, so it cant remove them if you uninstall the program....it will remove the static files and registry keys just fine. When he tried reinstalling and it didnt work, i first suspected either he had bricked his firmware, but with his next post i suspected he had dynamic registry keys for the drivers files that were confused and was trying to use the same incorrect driver when he tried connecting to the mod. With the incorrect driver installed and them being dynamic theres only a few ways to get rid of them. This way is the safest ive used for a remote attempt at fixing, without resorting to teamviewer, which is my 1st choice normally, if i know the person...

Then for the ENUM keys we have USB Vendor ID's (VID_XXXX) AND Product ID's (PID_XXXX) for their uniqueness

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_1980&PID_0001\!GL907095DJECE9----------------

After a couple of decades of the windows registry, you learn to identify Vendor ID's (VID_xxxx)....the most obvious one is 8086, which is Intel, chosen as they of course made the original 8086 Chips used i the original IBM PC....

Also added to that are the references to the oemxx.in files which are randomly created driver inf files - if you install drivers for your video card or audio, it may have a name in the driver package like atixxxx.inf, but when its installed into the windows inf folder, it gets an oemxx prefix, again to avoid overwriting each other

So with the registry scanner report, i went through and confirmed that it was what i thought and he was getting stuck with the same driver being presented, i sent him a .reg file to delete the relevant registry keys and to stop the driver installer referring to the previous incorrect oemxx.inf files as well

Fro a 1900 line report file with all the subkeys and values, it could be reduced to delete the root keys for the offending branches

Downloaded and merged as admin, it will remove those root keys, a reboot and retry of the driver installer will hopefully do the job...

Fingers crossed

Note: the following reg file is PC specific due to the reasons above, random oemxx.inf references and random class GUID's

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}\0000]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_1980&PID_0001\!GL907095DJECE9----------------]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}\0000]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_1980&PID_0001\!GL907095DJECE9----------------]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem12.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem13.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem14.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem15.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem16.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem17.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem18.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem19.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverInfFiles\oem20.inf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_03734a3f37cced8d]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_2a28a9700ae2eb76]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_6804040c1baec2ea]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_82526a288190945e]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_8491565fed726405]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_c41dbfcfc2c9601b]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_c670180b3415a5cc]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_eb9b44bd9e128b32]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\sx550j-b.inf_amd64_f869a72afbff747b]

Going to bed, 5am here...ill check in in about 6 hours

Edit/update:

Lying in bed realised depending on his user level, he may not get permission to delete those keys even form an admin command prompt, so got up and wrote some batches and sent a zip containing a semi auto solution using NSudo to absolutely get the permissions necessary

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I tried doing the reg thing and rebooted, reinstalled the usb driver, same result, has to abort after the 5 min timeout. It still shows up as SX550J-B down at the usb devices connected to PC

Check your email, i couldnt sleep and realised you may not have the permissions even as admin (i.e. i anticipated the failure you just referenced), so i got back up and made and sent you a semi auto solution to get around that...sent in email with plan b...

Check your email

Definitely going to bed, 6:30am now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread