gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I was browsing some YouTube videos and found this:

http://youtu.be/JlpFzCJAn-4

Is it that easy? Or is there something I'm missing? Where can I find that multimeter he used?

I'm a complete beginner. Only been vaping for a month (check the sig :p) and I thought recoiling (such as RBAs) took some insane amount of tweaking and such.

Edit: I also just noticed I have two topics in a row on the forum. Sorry.. I will start posting replies to topics instead of posting them for a while.. :p

Last edited:

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Even easier if you use the T3S instead...

I have an mT3s I just picked up yesterday and have 5 T3s's arriving in the mail. Very excited to know its this easy to rebuild.

Do you guys have some links to low priced wick/coil? The only thing I've ever heard thrown around here was "kanthal".

Will rebuilding my own heads improve flavor/vapor too? :D

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
Rebuilding ProTank or Evod it's easy and will provide superior taste to stock.
Make sure you buy quality 2mm Silica and Kanthal AWG32 to get you started.
You will also need a torch to burn the Silica.
This way all the shmutz is gone and taste will be perfect. Takes a little practice to get it right but is not hard at all. use a sawing needle placed roughly in tge center of the Silica rope and wind your coil nicely around it. After you place the coil in and it work put a few drops of juice on it before you add the flavor wick. This way the main wick is soaked properly and you won't get nasty rubber taste from gasket.
Start vaping at lower voltage for the first time to allow the coil to break in then slowly increase the voltage to where you want to be.
Advance Variable Voltage device is paramount because it usually have a but in ohm meter.

Good luck and keep rebuilding. I can't even remember last time I bought a coil and I change my evod heads every 2-3 days cause I can afford it and juice always taste fresh :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
A butane lighter is sufficient torch. It burns off any residual oils from manufacturing, and helps to stiffen the wire so it holds shape better.

Recoiling is pretty simple, although, yes, small! :) Good lighting is a plus.

If you don't have a power source with an ohm checker, a cheap DVM is necessary. I recommend checking the coil both before and after putting the head back in the base. Before, so you know it's starting out good, and after because sometimes you can twist the leads in the base and create a short.

Most use Kanthal A-1, and many reference Ebay, although places like RTD vapor have 10 ft spools, and places like Madvapes and others have smaller amounts.

I tend to use cotton yarn for the flavor wicks. When I need to dry burn, I just toss 'em and replace, after the cleaning on the main coil. And do a full recoil as needed.

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
It is easy indeed! I rebuild all of my bcc's, I used to use silica...then I found organic cotton, now my silica just sits tucked away in my desk :laugh:

As far as where to buy the silica and wire I'd recommend Ebay. You can also buy kanthal in large quantities from Temco extremely cheap. I used a vendor called lightningvapes on Ebay to get my kanthal and silica, if you wanna go that route.

For checking ohms there are a couple of options: 1.multimeter (as long as it's digital, you can get a cheap cen-tech from harbor freight),2. a device that reads ohms (a PV), 3. An ohm meter which you can get from Madvapes or search around on E-bay (not sure where else they are sold). I'd also recommend some wire cutters (fingernail clippers also work) and some needle-nose pliers (it's a small area to work in so a small pair preferably).

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
A butane lighter is sufficient torch. It burns off any residual oils from manufacturing, and helps to stiffen the wire so it holds shape better.

I disagree with that. Butane lighter will not get anywhere near the temperature needed to clean Silica and will leave smog after you use it because it does not burn clean.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Uh, my wire doesn't have any silica. Butane lighter, as I said, is fine for the wire. Yes, you were torching the wick, I was treating the wire.

I find using the wick as is, untorched, hasn't given me any noticeable taste. Others, perhaps with a more sensitive palate, do notice a flavor for the first few draws. Some just wash it thoroughly. In any event, if you do want to clean it, why not just dry burn the new coil and wick after assembling to the base? After all, that's what many of us do after cleaning, anyway, and it seems to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread