The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

taming the cricket

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by lupinehorror, Nov 10, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lupinehorror

lupinehorror numpty wrangler Verified Member

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    recently got a noisy cricket mech mod. two 18650s in series.
    fierce? looked up fierce in the dictionary and there was a picture of the cricket staring back at me. couldn't find anything acceptable with the two builds i tried. so here's the third. 2 10 wrap 26AWG kanthal contact coils both coming in at 0.5 ohms separately. hoping that combined they'll be able to tame the cricket just a tad.
    anyone here built for one of these mods? if so what did you go with?
    (oh and the bit of paper is for my reference so they don't get mixed up in the bag o' many coils)

• Like Like x 2
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't, but those coils look nice, I can't remember if it's series or parallel, but 0.5 ohms (I am assuming that is the total of the two) sounds like a decent place to start, you've got some safety built into your build at that resistance... Good luck,

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Assuming a 2mm internal diameter, that build will have a total of 0.5 ohms, each coil being around 1 ohm.
    0.5 ohms on the NC1 is 17 amps and about 140 watts which to me is quite a lot.

Try bumping the internal diameter up to 2.5mm and add another two wraps to each coil for a total of 12 on each - 0.73 ohms, 12 amps and 96 watts.
    Or a 3mm internal diameter with the same number of wraps - 0.84 ohms, 10 amps and 84 watts.

These wattages are approximate, voltage drop and battery sag will mean the output will be slightly lower.
    I'm not sure what wattage you are shooting for, but the last one I listed is what I use.
    The NC1 does not need to be savage, it's determined by what resistance coils you use.

I modelled these builds in steam-engine

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    hot...good

• Like Like x 1
  5. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    safety first. always. more mechs than regulated it seems. simple man...simple tastes etc
    these are 22AWG. they work but fine tuning required...wind on...

• Like Like x 2
  6. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    You said 26G in your OP
    Like I said, that is going to be a savage build

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fozzy71

Fozzy71 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I have 4 of these (and 4 nemesis clones) that I bought for my stash last year and have never tried. I really should give a mech a try now that I have a clue what I am doing, if I have a mech safe tank or dripper.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    i did another build with 22 after reading your post. lot less savage now though it's still nothing to be trifled with :2cool:
    i would normally use a dripper on my mechs but running the avocado 24 on this.

• Like Like x 3
  9. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    while i was at it i replaced the frosted glass on the avocado 24 with the clear one and fitted two new o-rings

• Like Like x 2
  10. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    had forgotten how much i like the avocado 24! also very convenient for vaping out and about. hadn't used it for a month or so. liking having it back in rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    Love the Avocado 24 - it's one of my favorite genny-style RTAs.

As far as taming the Noisy Cricket - I sold mine. Way to much voltage for me, and no matter what I built for it the vape was too hot. To each their own, but series mech mods are not for me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    i've found that they aren't really for me either. shelf piece .

• Like Like x 2
  13. 3vilpsychos

3vilpsychos Full Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Im getting into larger 24+ but not that damn stream crave. You know, that hurt rta that looks like Bender from Futuramas penis.

I have the avocado 22 myself. The only build that is halfway decent in this atty is coils with 2.5 or smaller.

I thought it was the same with all 22, but my indestructible can handle any size coil or thrown at it. I think Its got something to do with the dome top, and sleeve create hardly any space when fully constructed.

I am looking forward to getting the nc2. But honestly for the opposite. I want to be able to build parallel, and series. But more parallel.

I would love to see more parallel squonk mods. These single battery mods suck. You cannot get any battery life if you vape at .9 or lower.

It seems to me that single battery mods useless. I get 3 times the battery life that I get from 1 battery from 2. I think it has something to do with battery stress, and sharing the load.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Sustained vaping above 40 watts on a single 18650 is a pipe dream.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moezso

Moezso Full Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Vaping 24g kanthal dual coil in a kennedy 22 clone on the cricket now, 3mm id 16/17 wraps, around .8 ohms. It's warm but not too hot, gets in a nice groove when the batteries fall to around 3.7 volts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moezso

Moezso Full Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Just wound up a 3x28g ka1 + 38g ni80 fused clapton in my mutation x v5, 4mm id, 7.5 wraps, .69ohm. Flavor for days and clooouuuddd ciiitttaaayyy. Also like to report 7.4 volts off the deck while firing with 2 fully charged vtc5a's, 8.3 off the batteries, that's pretty low voltage drop for a 12 dollar mod.

• Like Like x 1