Not open for further replies.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Chinese QC is the real problem IMO, stevegmu. Not just this stuff by any means. The Evods I bought are FastTech's Evod clones. 4 work great, one has multiple issues - it leaks from the side at the viewing window, the coil burnt after about 6 drags, and it threads on crooked. At about $2.50 a piece, I expected an issue or two here and there. Luckily every issue was with one tank.

What really gets me, and maybe it's just me, is that I'd rather spend $10 a piece and have each one be perfect than spend $2.50 a piece and have to QC them myself. I'm far more hung up on the wasted $2.50 than the $10 well spent. Yeah, at a rate of 1 in 4 I'm still ahead money-wise, but I think you know what I mean.

The best price to performance ratio of Chinese made goods comes from when American (or other foreign) companies have their own people in the factories everyday overseeing the production and QC. But I'd gladly pay more for a made in USA product if I could afford it. I'd like a ProVari for this reason, but I can afford $200 for a mod before batteries and delivery devices.

I ordered a couple of Kanger branded delivery devices from a USA vendor. I wonder how much better they'll be. My Protank is very solid, so I hope the stuff coming in will be equally good.
Ditto :) I've never had a QC issue with a Triton tank other than the tips as noted which actually goes back a number of years :) and is an easy fix with a more threads tip BUT boy o boy have I ever with the Kanger T2s which the Triton tank is based on. Note that Kanger's name is not present on any T2s I have ever seen and the T2 is wildly cloned/knoced off. I'm willing to guess that a lot of B and M's and Web sites have no clue if it's the real deal or a clone. Got 8 T2s and 4 refused to fire! Another batch one was working OK and then it died. Went to clean a bunch of them after I got them which is always a good idea and bingo, removing the plastic sleeve also removed the little part that is a press fit into the post. Fiddle and futs all I want but just threw a few away after stripping the parts I might need. Only about 50% had the better more threads tips. Note that all these T2s were obtained from US vendors web sites. On the other hand, the Kanger ProTank 2 which has Kanger's name on it is built like fort knox :) and so far is a fantastic tank and an out of body vape experience bar none. The same can be said for my experiences with the iClear 30 which of course has Kangers name on it. EDIT: My takeaway and outlook is to always have multiple backups and assume that things will break. Yes, it can be expensive so just build up your stash gradually. Five years from today or sooner after the bubble bursts QC will be much better but in the meantime I prefer to assume that every piece of gear that I own will (not if) break. LOL

HTH
:)

Last edited:

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
The iClear 30 is made by Innokin and not Kanger as far as I know.

As far as branding, Kanger doesn't stamp all their products. People on ECF have stated that they've ordered Evods directly from Kanger, and some were stamped Evod BCC and others weren't.

There's just no consistency, and that to me is by far my biggest complaint about vaping in general. For these manufacturers, it's all about cranking out as many units as possible and grab the most cash as possible. While every business is out to make as much money as they can (isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?), I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a product that I know is going to work right. Every product has defects that slip through, but the rate of defects with vape gear in general is astonishing.

Now I've strayed somewhat. The point of the thread is I'm tired of paying money for stuff that doesn't work right. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and buy something that genuinely surprises me if I get a defect rather than asking myself how many I need to buy because I'm going to have to throw away 1 in every 4 or 5 (or less).

Smoking was so much easier. In 20 years, I can't recall a single defective pack lol. Maybe a lighter or two didn't last as long as I wanted it to, but that was about it.

Bob Lion54

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Louisiana, USA
Smoking was so much easier. In 20 years, I can't recall a single defective pack lol. Maybe a lighter or two didn't last as long as I wanted it to, but that was about it.
Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! I've had a defective pack once or twice.

One time, I was smoking the first cig from a new pack and the thing tasted... odd. It was nasty. I put it out and took a look at the pack. The tobacco that sometimes finds it was to the top of the filters didn't look right. It was smaller and sort of imbedded in the top of the filters. Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't tobacco at all. Nope.

It was bugs. Bugs. Little, tiny, dead bugs.

They got in with a tiny hole in the pack on the side near the bottom. I shudder thinking about it now. I think I'll take a defective tank over that happening again. *shudders*

As far as QC goes, I'd expect it to get better and worse as the industry grows. There will be some higher consistently quality stuff coming out from companies that will establish themselves as the better hardware companies. We'll also get lower end companies that sell cheaper stuff that simply won't be as consistent. We have that now, but I expect the divide between the quality stuff and the cheaper stuff to widen in the next few years and I also suspect to start seeing smaller companies crop up that will make good stuff but are less known.

To use an analogy from the computer world, at the moment, I think we as vapers have Logitech and Microsoft but we have yet to have an Asus come along.

Last edited:

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA

One time, I was smoking the first cig from a new pack and the thing tasted... odd. It was nasty. I put it out and took a look at the pack. The tobacco that sometimes finds it was to the top of the filters didn't look right. It was smaller and sort of imbedded in the top of the filters. Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't tobacco at all. Nope.

They got in with a tiny hole in the pack on the side near the bottom. I shudder thinking about it now. I think I'll take a defective tank over that happening again. *shudders*

As far as QC goes, I'd expect it to get better and worse as the industry grows. There will be some higher consistently quality stuff coming out from companies that will establish themselves as the better hardware companies. We'll also get lower end companies that sell cheaper stuff that simply won't be as consistent. We have that now, but I expect the divide between the quality stuff and the cheaper stuff to widen in the next few years and I also suspect to start seeing smaller companies crop up that will make good stuff but are less known.

To use an analogy from the computer world, at the moment, I think we as vapers have Logitech and Microsoft but we have yet to have an Asus come along.

Haven't had a defect like that. Wow. Just... Wow.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I feel a follow up is deserved...

I think the issues were due to a bad batch of coils or maybe more so wicks. I replaced all the coils on my tanks and have been vaping Menthol Ice and Mystic (straight and mixed) for a few weeks now without a single issue. No dry hits, and no burnt lips. Most of the old coils were from the same pack or two. I threw them all out and opened a fresh pack.

Just felt like Halo deserved credit where credit is due.

dejena

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Seattle, WA

Oh boy, I just gagged...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread