Tank too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Hi guys. I've been vaping at 30w on an OBS Engine with a couple of SS317L 28 gauge stainless steel coils that I built at 0.6 ohms. Now that I've got a mod capable of higher wattage and low resistance for my OBS Engine, I removed the coils and put the twisted coils in that came with it. I don't know what metal the twisted wire is, although Mike of Mike's Vapes thinks it's kanthal. The resistance is 0.15 ohms.

I put it to 60w, fired it, it sounded aggressive and then burnt my mouth. Absolutely not vapable, like putting my mouth over a volcano. I put it down to 30w and same thing. I had it set to regular wattage power, I wasn't in temp control, although my temp control was still in SS from my last coils. So I didn't know what I was doing and just set it to TI and to NI and eventually it said 'atomiser short'. The glass was really hot, like burning hot. So I'm going to rebuild with my SS.

So does anyone know what I did wrong?

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I guess that my guess is that guessing what kind of wire you're dealing with ain't a good idea.
Sounds like you may have gotten the tank so hot that you may have fried the insulators (atomiser short). I wouldn't take another stab at putting any build in that tank until after a full tear down and inspection.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Sounds like you may have gotten the tank so hot that you may have fried the insulators (atomiser short). I wouldn't take another stab at putting any build in that tank until after a full tear down and inspection.

I fear you're right. The coils are intact, nothing broken but still saying atomiser short. I don't think there's spare insulators in the box. How on earth am I going to use this tank now. :(

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
The internet may help you with the latter. YouTube will likely have a disassembly video somewhere

I've looked, I can't find anything apart from some german video replacing an insulator for a Kangertech sub tank. I can't believe there's such little information on this and nowhere to buy replacements.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've looked, I can't find anything apart from some german video replacing an insulator for a Kangertech sub tank. I can't believe there's such little information on this and nowhere to buy replacements.
I looked too and I couldn’t find an obs manufacturer site even. Hopefully there is some contact info in your manual

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Isn’t the positive pin pressed in? Don’t own the tank, just referencing what I’ve seen on the interwebs.

Yeah, seems to be pressed in. Here's a pic I just took of it.

20181019_015622.jpg

Would I need to get a tool on that and just hammer it out?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, seems to be pressed in. Here's a pic I just took of it.

View attachment 774477

Would I need to get a tool on that and just hammer it out?
You’re probably SOL. Pressfittings often require special equipment. New atty time if it turns out to be the insulator I suspect

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’m not going to give you any wrong advice but I am leaning toward that the insulator is not replaceable.

Will assume you have checked for any lose debris in the bottom of the deck. Wire clipping could cause a short. Give it a good clean and put another build in it and see what your mod says.

Reactions: bombastinator

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Well guys, I just went back to the RTA and it's working now. Th insulator doesn't seem to be broken. I've got just one of the coils in. Thing is, when I press the fire button at 20w, the coil glows instantly very bright as though it was on high wattage. I just tried putting the wattage down to the lowest it will go to and it still glows as bright and as fast. I've no idea what's going on but that ain't right. But I'll build my own SS and see what happens.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well guys, I just went back to the RTA and it's working now. Th insulator doesn't seem to be broken. I've got just one of the coils in. Thing is, when I press the fire button at 20w, the coil glows instantly very bright as though it was on high wattage. I just tried putting the wattage down to the lowest it will go to and it still glows as bright and as fast. I've no idea what's going on but that ain't right. But I'll build my own SS and see what happens.
That makes me suspect the mod

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread