Tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathanial

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2011
Michigan
I don't really seem to get along with dripping, or cartridges, I feel rather stuck. I've tried several different cart mods, and nothing really seems to work or feel right for me.

I've read about a tank, which seems like it would work well for me. I hate contiously dripping, and topping off carts, so this seems ideal.

I have a Riva 510 starter kit I got from Liberty Flights, can anybody suggest where I should go from here? What all should I get to get started with a tank? Any personal experience?

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
I suppose it's a little different for lots of people but I find my ego t is great. I hardly use it at home or driving now that I have a reo. But I do use it at work. I find it to be a simple useable unit for all day use. I use the 1000mah batts with regular or lr atty's. If you are after the ultimate in simplicity and ease of use a reo would be a great choice. I currently have a woodvil and am waiting for Monday when the grands go on sale. Hope that helps if you have any direct questions on either there is a wealth of info available on this forum or feel free to pm me. Hope that helps some good luck

Nathanial

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2011
Michigan
cartomizers - I recommend Boge - the 3.0 for a standard hit or th e 2.0 for a hotter hit

or if you really want a tank get an Ego tank atty and a tank and put it on the Riva

almost everybody hates carts and many don't like dripping

hm, I completely forgot about cartos. I suppose if I ordered one, I'd probably need to pick up a syringe too, right? How long do they generally last, and what's the maintenance like?

Also, I've looked into the REO's, but $150 is a bit pricey for me right now :p

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
You do not need a syringe for soft-cap stuffing-type cartos like Boge - you carefully pop out the mouth cap and drip juice into the stuffing. Fill totally the first time (about 1ml or 18-24 drops) and after cleanup, if it's the first fill of a blank, lay it on different sides for about 15 minutes to make sure every bit of stuffing is damp - else you may singe it.

You DO need a syringe for any reservoir type cartos (different syringes for different types)

And you need more than one carto. cartos are disposable. If you keep a Boge damp and straighten the air channel gently if if needs it, you may get 1 or even 2 weeks out of a Boge carto.

Last edited:

Nathanial

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2011
Michigan
Great, thanks, I'll check into a carto as well. I plan on heading into a local vape shop on Monday, and will take a look around. I've found myself liking dripping more than cartridges, but it's too much of a pain to drip at work while having a vape break. I'll figure something out, love vaping, just hate this stage of trying to find that perfect balance of what suites me.

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
I used a tank for a few weeks. Coming from a joye 510 that I used for over a year (with a regular ol' 510 atty/cart), it was bliss! I will say, there is a learning curve. After about a week of trial and error, I figured out how to get consistent hits out of a tank system with no leaking. To get started, you'll just need a tank atty or two and some empty carts (assuming you have juice). LR attys hit harder, but their lifespan is less.

Some of my findings/tips/tricks:
Tank attys require frequent blowing out. Two carts full of liquid, then the atty would need to be blown out.
Dont fill carts up all the way, leave an air pocket.
Like any atty, let it cool down. Two hits back to back was ok, but no more.
I found that tanks are best for long, steady hits... about 5-7 seconds.
Tanks go through a lot of juice. A full cart (1ml) lasted me about an hour when vaping heavily. Medium vaping, about 2 hours.
A lot of juice gets wasted from having to blow excess juice out. Also, tanks can flood an atty quickly. Flooded atty=less flavor/vapor.
Tank carts will leak around the top cap (70/30 pg/vg juice). After using a tank once, I dried it out, sealed it up with RTV sealer applied with a toothpick, then let it dry for 24 hours. After sealing up the cap, it became necessary to fill carts with a needle. This was manageable, but sort of a pita. Also, I had to go to the pharmacy and buy a needle... haha.
SOME tanks will also leak around the spike. To prevent this, put the tank on the same way each time. Dont let your spike make a huge, gaping hole in your cart. Dont take your cart on/off too often. Lastly, use clear carts. This will allow you to 1) make sure your cart isnt leaking (see how fast its draining) and 2) see how much juice is left!

Why did I not last with the tank? Like I said, it was milllesss better than my 510 starter from over a year ago... but I tried dripping using a cisco lr 306... and I was sold. The tank would not longer satisfy me. But then again, I always vape 24mg and came from a pack (sometimes more) of strong menthols per day. Hope that helps!

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
As pointed out earlier cartomizers aren't too bad. Some flavors are actully a little bit better through them :)
Boge and SLB are both worth trying. Pretty good QC on them and they usually last through several refills or days and days of 'topping off'.

I've fallen in love with the CE2.

CE2 type cartomizers are good to me in terms of the way they vape and taste.
These use a ceramic atomizer near the top with silica like wicks that hang down into the juice. No poly filler in these. The draw is very easy. They come in clear/tinted plastic versions, and black or stainless metal versions. Stock sizes hold from .9ml to around 4ml. Prices range from $5 a five pack up to $30 (Giantomizers) a five pack.

CE2 Strengths: Easy draw, very good flavor, consistent vape every hit, long lasting atty, no poly-filler, easy to mod into much larger tank systems if desired.

CE2 Problems: The clear ones, the outer sleeve can come apart or crack leading to a big mess if you're not careful (this is mainly a problem with strong cinnamon and some fruit juices that can eat at the plastic making it brittle), while the metal ones are harder to see when they need to be refilled. These stock from the package require either a syringe or needle tip bottle to fill. Some thicker juices might require that you tinker with the seal rings near the top to get the wicks working optimally.

All in all, the CE2 is worth trying. Especially if you want something that can easily evolve into a really big tank. If you like to mod, it's really easy to pop the guts of these into some kind of DIY bottle or syringe. Or, you can buy mods like the Stormy tank or MAP premade from $10 to $40.

Many places carry these and run out often. I do know the following sites have had stocks of CE2 stuff for the past week, so between the 3 you should be able to find nearly every size and resistance of CE2 being built:
GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more (Really good selection of regular and xl 'fluxomizers').
Clouds Of Vapor Ecigs (also has Giantomizers and MAP tanks).
Myvaporstore.com | The Electronic Cigarette Super Store (Clearomizer XL).

Also check out the Stormy Tank thread.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Tank carts will leak around the top cap (70/30 pg/vg juice). After using a tank once, I dried it out, sealed it up with RTV sealer applied with a toothpick, then let it dry for 24 hours. After sealing up the cap, it became necessary to fill carts with a needle. This was manageable, but sort of a pita. Also, I had to go to the pharmacy and buy a needle... haha.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to use RTV for this. It's not intended to be food grade and you have no idea what it's letting loose in that juice. I would use food grade silicone or aquarium sealer. Those both have to be non-toxic.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I don't really seem to get along with dripping, or cartridges, I feel rather stuck. I've tried several different cart mods, and nothing really seems to work or feel right for me.

I've read about a tank, which seems like it would work well for me. I hate contiously dripping, and topping off carts, so this seems ideal.

I have a Riva 510 starter kit I got from Liberty Flights, can anybody suggest where I should go from here? What all should I get to get started with a tank? Any personal experience?

I'm a big fan of the tanks. Like anything- it's not for everyone. But in my case it's been a win.

Buying a single atty and giving it a try- if you already have 510 compatible stuff (eGo/Riva batteries) doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Nathanial

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2011
Michigan
I'm a big fan of the tanks. Like anything- it's not for everyone. But in my case it's been a win.

Buying a single atty and giving it a try- if you already have 510 compatible stuff (eGo/Riva batteries) doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Well my paycheck came through and after the bills are paid, I have a good amount of money I can set aside for e-cig supplies, so maybe I'll just try both :)

So I'm looking at an atomizer and a tank, right? Also cozzicon, I'm currently watching your e-cig series on YouTube, it's kinda funny you ended up finding my thread :)

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Well my paycheck came through and after the bills are paid, I have a good amount of money I can set aside for e-cig supplies, so maybe I'll just try both :)

So I'm looking at an atomizer and a tank, right? Also cozzicon, I'm currently watching your e-cig series on YouTube, it's kinda funny you ended up finding my thread :)

Not unlikely though. I try to set aside time here in the newbie forum to help out a little.

Hope the vids are helpful.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Picture28.jpg

None of them are real fantastic. 2ml capacity on the new dual coil cartomizers was a perfect end to my search.

Picture37.jpg

New smoktech cartos on all the great mods.

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I used a tank for a few weeks. Coming from a joye 510 that I used for over a year (with a regular ol' 510 atty/cart), it was bliss! I will say, there is a learning curve. After about a week of trial and error, I figured out how to get consistent hits out of a tank system with no leaking. To get started, you'll just need a tank atty or two and some empty carts (assuming you have juice). LR attys hit harder, but their lifespan is less.

Some of my findings/tips/tricks:
Tank attys require frequent blowing out. Two carts full of liquid, then the atty would need to be blown out.
Dont fill carts up all the way, leave an air pocket.
Like any atty, let it cool down. Two hits back to back was ok, but no more.
I found that tanks are best for long, steady hits... about 5-7 seconds.
Tanks go through a lot of juice. A full cart (1ml) lasted me about an hour when vaping heavily. Medium vaping, about 2 hours.
A lot of juice gets wasted from having to blow excess juice out. Also, tanks can flood an atty quickly. Flooded atty=less flavor/vapor.
SOME tanks will also leak around the spike. To prevent this, put the tank on the same way each time. Dont let your spike make a huge, gaping hole in your cart. Dont take your cart on/off too often. Lastly, use clear carts. This will allow you to 1) make sure your cart isnt leaking (see how fast its draining) and 2) see how much juice is left!
<<SNIP>>

You are my hero! I got my eGoT about a week or 2 ago. I had one atty that seemed to lose flavor (vapor still good) and I was dreading the whole cleaning process. Finally got a video about taking it apart, etc. In all my posts and all the threads I read, no one mentioned blowing out the atty!!!! I just did and it is back to vaping like brand new! You saved my Saturday from cleaning attys that are only a week +/- old!!!

+1 on the long, steady drag
+1 on the use a lot of juice. I didn't blow that much out. I have blown more out of a flooded atty. I don't know if the tanks use more liquid or if its just so much easier and I love the flavor that I vape them more all day than messing with dripping or cartos.
- I have had zero leakage problems (I guess save for the above issue. But it was also my first atty and I had some issues getting the first tank in there right. Maybe the hole on that tank is a little larger b/c no problems with my others.
+1 on the LR attys. They do increase the TH a little. Don't know about the life b/c I haven't had mine long enough to tell. But I got a bunch for $6. So even if their lifespan is a little less, I think I will save using them.

Now that I blew out that one atty and I don't worry that my attys are failing after a couple days use I love my eGo T even more (if that was possible - LOL). I also ordered the 510 tanks and attys yesterday. The review done by VT Vapor said the flavor and TH was even more than the eGoT's. We'll see. It is just attys and tanks - not too expensive.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
I have heard that tank attys last only 1 week,and gave up this option....

Used my reg tank atty for a month before getting lr tank atty's and been using them for a month. I alternate between two atty's. I was off work for those two months and vaped non stop all day was using about 8-10 mls a day on my ego t so I call bunk on those that say the tank atty's only last a week or so +-

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Used my reg tank atty for a month before getting lr tank atty's and been using them for a month. I alternate between two atty's. I was off work for those two months and vaped non stop all day was using about 8-10 mls a day on my ego t so I call bunk on those that say the tank atty's only last a week or so +-

+1 to that. I have 2 regular attys that have been in use for almost 2 weeks and going strong. I chain vape. I have 1 LR atty that is about a week old. And I haven't done anything other than refill tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread