hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but I’m unhappy with what Tapatalk is pulling on me and figure that it must be happening to others.

I bought the Tapatalk app a long time ago from the App Store and recently have received a message from them that my purchase of the app is no longer good and they now want me to pay for a yearly subscription. I’ve never had this happen with any other app I’ve purchased. Also, all of a sudden after receiving the message, it takes two attempts to post a picture. The first time it always comes up and says there’s an error and then if I try again it works. I see this as a ploy to try to get me to pay the yearly subscription. Am I wrong in being upset about this? I feel like I paid for a product and now they got greedy and want me to pay yearly for something in my opinion that I already own. Any and all opinions on this are welcome. I know I could stop using it but post mostly from my phone and it’s easier for me to see and use instead of an internet browser.

Reactions: FranC

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not well-versed in the smartphone thing, but is there a possibility that your app has been compromised and that this is malware attempting to get a subscription fee from you, as well as you payment details?

This type of behavior is very similar to when a PC gets compromised.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I'm not well-versed in the smartphone thing, but is there a possibility that your app has been compromised and that this is malware attempting to get a subscription fee from you, as well as you payment details?

This type of behavior is very similar to when a PC gets compromised.

No, I was able to send a message through the app the first time I got the error message trying to post a picture and they responded. They said they were aware of the problem and were working on it but didn’t answer me if it was doing this because I hadn’t paid for the subscription. I think it’s on purpose to get more people to pay.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I don't use tapatalk, but some time ago I was interested in it and started to look into it. I don't remember why I never got into using it. I think it had something to do with that I don't use too many forums and of the three or so that I use I think I used my phone once to access it.. I just had a brief look at their end-user FAQ and saw mentions of a VIP subscription and a Tapatalk Pro version. I don't know for sure though if there's a free version and a paid (or subscribed) version, or if it used to be free or 'pay for once' and there is now a subscription only version.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Most sites now are responsive and handle mobile devices very well. ECF has handled mobile devices with ease since our switch to XenForo nearly 6 years ago. 99% of my ECF access is by phone now using Chrome.

Thanks. I’ve been using TT for probably 8 years or more. I’ll see how I like it on chrome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread