Not open for further replies.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Hey everyone

I have a question for you DIY enthusiasts.........

I understand that when I purchase a bunch of new flavors, it is smart to mix up a small batch of each so that I can taste them individually and understand what I am working with before mixing a juice with multiple flavors.

My question is... .... does everyone vape each flavor individually on a new Wick and take notes on the flavor, or are you tasting by tongue) the flavors? I'm thinking that rather than having to vape a flavor, pull the Wick, pulse the coil, install a new Wick and repeat...... maybe I can simply taste the flavors with a drop or two on the tongue and make notes and recipes that way. This is all with just pg in the flavors, not with nic.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If I'm making a recipe that I get from others, I don't taste test the flavors in it individually. I usually just do what's called the 100DTT (100 drop taste test)...starting with a lower % of each flavoring, first. Then I adjust or "tweak" it from there (taking notes of changes I make as I go along), until it's exactly the way I want it to taste and vape. I'll then use those notes to reflect any changes I made in flavoring % in the recipe. When I then make a larger batch of it, following that revised recipe... it will be the way I wanted it, to suit my own tastes.

Go down to the 7th section - "Using Bills' 100DT Taste Test Method"

Bill's Magic Vapor's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

However, if you're making up your own recipe from scratch, I think most who DIY would suggest taste testing and vaping each flavoring individually that you plan to use in it. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've tasted one or two flavors. I don't think the tongue sensation is that close to the vaporized flavor. If there's alcohol in the flavor you get a burning sensation on your tongue that overpowers the flavor.

I like the 100 drop (5 ml) test. Create your recipe in a calculator and use the drops column to determine how many drops of each ingredient. Those little 5ml or 10ml needle tip bottles work well for testing.

Dang! JC had the same idea. After I posted I saw JC's post of the same method. Great minds think alike, I guess.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have Tons of Flavors that I have Never mixed individually and then Vape Tested. They were bought for the purpose of Blending with other Flavors.

Things like Butterscotch, Praline and Crème, Almond, Vanilla, etc. None of those I wanted to vape on their own.

Same with some Fruit Flavors like Pear, White Grape, Mango, Dragon Fruit, etc. Stand Alone Fruit Flavors are (to Me) Very Hard to come by. And for the Fruit Flavor(s) I like, they seem to work better in Pairs or Multiples.

Doing a Test Batch and then Tasting a Drop on your Finger is a Great Way to get a Rough Feel for what a Flavor(s) will tatse when Vaped. You won't be able to pick up all the Subtle Notes and Aftertastes. But it gives you a pretty Good Idea of what is going on without having to do a complete New Cotton/Coil build.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I have Tons of Flavors that I have Never mixed individually and then Vape Tested. They were bought for the purpose of Blending with other Flavors.

Same with me, which is why I said above, "However, if you're making up your own recipe from scratch, I think most who DIY would suggest taste testing and vaping each flavoring individually that you plan to use in it. Just my opinion though."

I don't do it either, but IMO, based on what I've seen many post on here...they'd suggest doing it. :thumbs:

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm hoping I can use pg as a base and mix up a small bottle of each new flavor, then taste a drop of each to get a feel for the flavor, then mix a cocktail of the juices I think will go well together and then taste that... All on the tongue.
Kind of like mixing a cocktail. It's the whole changing cotton each time I want to taste a new juice I would like to avoid.

I suppose I could even mix the flavors with water for the tongue taste test initially.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Same with me, which is why I said above, "However, if you're making up your own recipe from scratch, I think most who DIY would suggest taste testing and vaping each flavoring individually that you plan to use in it. Just my opinion though."

I don't do it either, but IMO, based on what I've seen many post on here...they'd suggest doing it. :thumbs:

I think a Lot can depend on how far along one is in Doing DIY.

When I first started DIY, I was kinda in the make Each Flavor Individually camp and then blend the Finished e-Liquids to make a Multi-Flavored Blend. But as I branched out and Bought More and More Flavorings, and as my ability to do DIY got better, this seemed More and More Tedious.

It can Also Depend on what Outcome one is looking for.

If I'm trying to make an Exact Clone of some Retail e-Liquid one has tried, have Pre-Made Individual Steeped Flavored e-Liquids is going to save you some time and Effort on the worked up side. Because you can just Mix/Vape/Adjust.

It's all kinda a Trade Off.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
. It's the whole changing cotton each time
I don't wick my coil taste testing in a rda, just put a squirt on the coil. Gives me a good enough sense of the flavor and where I might want to take it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Depends on what I'm tasting for. If I want to know what that flavor tastes like alone I will taste it alone. If I just want an idea of how strong a flavor is I can guess with the knoweledge the wick has other stuff on it.
Also mesh wicked gennies burn pretty clean and that's what I'll usually taste with.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will taste test flavors (but TESTER FLAVOR MIXES, not just a drop on the tongue, that would be somewhat useless I think, personally) but I don't really do it to try to see how the flavor IS, more like an initial taste the first week or so to get a general idea that nothing is going HORRIBLY.

It has some usefulness, but it's nowhere near the same as actually vaping the flavor. The thing is, with many of my testers I will wait about 4 days, then 8 days... After that I vape them. I can't "tell" that much with my tongue and to me it's not a real "test" as how they will perform vape wise, it's more a "did I make something vile" type of thing, I'm looking out for stuff like bitterness, fading (somewhat) etc.

My tongue is so happy I vape now, it has SOME usefulness but it's not really a substitute for actually testing, which I usually do around two weeks. I just kind of do it to alert myself to any possible "vomotous" mix I may have created. LOL, it's good to be prepared.

If I'm confident in a mix and/or have made it before, I tongue test it to make sure I have not inadvertently done something weird, but I usually just vape it once it's steeped. Etc. It does get easier, honestly.

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
That new joyetech riftcore duo tank might make a good tasting atty. it uses two plates that dryburn back to new with a pulse and it’s wicked by laying a chunk of cotton between the plates. Would be easy to change flavors and have a clean atty. just a thought

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
For me, since i stopped smoking, ive got a nose like a bloodhound. I generally smell the flavors before i use them. I also cook a lot and can tell by smelling what something is going to taste like. If im making a juice recipie i found on the internet, i follow what was already used but if im making my own recipie, i will smell each flavor and decide what percentage i want to use based on the aroma. Yeah, i know, im weird like that lol

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I must be weird like that too. I can smell flavors pretty well.

I also there is this odd "generalization" thing that happens when you, well I, mix for a while.(Same with cooking). I still taste the odd new flavor here and there if I am totally new to it/it's profile, but I will often mix a reasonable amount of mixes without doing a tester size. The only one I haven't been able to fix so far is chocolate milk, (IDK what I was thinking I don't even LIKE chocolate milk). It tasted like chocolate milk only I also used a hair too much condensed milk. I like that flavor but I learned my lesson about percentages.

I didn't even try to "fix" that one. I've been able to fix most failed mixes, but that one I vaped about a ml of it ,and just threw out the entire thing, it was vomitous.

I usually expect ONE mix to suck, and if I'm on the fence I will mix a smaller amount (say 50 ml instead of 100). But, for the most part, I either like, or can fix my mixes. And I've started to like things I swore I never would, like menthol. But, for the most part if a mix fails, I can fix it SOMEHOW.

I did a lot of recipe reading and did do a lot of single flavor profiles when I began, however. Reading up as you buy flavors (reviews and descriptions) can help, too.

Anna

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Thanks everyone.

I really like these two ideas :

With no Wick, drip juice onto the coil for a quick taste

And

Add a few drops of flavor to a shot glass of water swish and spit