Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
hey all. I did a dual twisted coil yesterday on the Kennedy rda of 2 ss 316L 28 g 6? Wraps at .3ish ohms.

The mod - a Therion dna 75C- gives a Temp Protect warning when in TC mode and obviously doesn’t fire.

However it works great in Wattage mode.

I took it apart to check connections and make sure the legs were trimmed down. Everything looks fine. But it still won’t work correctly in TC mode.

So I was wondering if it’s something about the ss and tc having a difficult time calculating the resistance due to the twisted wires. Or something like that.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Try setting lower Wattage used in TC. Up the original boost but lower wattage. SS twisted should work fine in TC and I have used it without issue. Needs to be spaced coils and OHM read at room temp to start off. If it 3 OHMS though not going to work. TC works better below 1 ohm and most mods won't do TC above 1.2 ohm or so.

Did you mean .3 OHM and not 3 OHM?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
It’s gotta be .3 I think based on the description of the coil.
Does the same coil work in power mode?
Maybe it’s a short somewhere you’re not seeing.
I use twisted ss in tc without issue but I use a spaced coil so maybe that’s it.
Also I must say DNA chipped mods just don’t do tc as good as say Smoant, Tesla, or Voopoo. They are much more accurate and smoother vape as opposed to the jumpy, uneven, inaccurate vape the DNA chip is notorious for.

I’m sure that last bit won’t cause any disagreement.
In reality I’ve never used a dna in tc but I just thought it funny so for posterity sake my dna comments are just a trolling effort and are not based on any real experience with that particular chip.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
BD2BE2B0-B1CF-43DE-9FC5-A794179463BD.jpeg
6DB5729D-AD27-4B43-B7B7-6A40AC994F5D.jpeg

It’s gotta be .3 I think based on the description of the coil.
Does the same coil work in power mode?
Maybe it’s a short somewhere you’re not seeing.
I use twisted ss in tc without issue but I use a spaced coil so maybe that’s it.
Also I must say DNA chipped mods just don’t do tc as good as say Smoant, Tesla, or Voopoo. They are much more accurate and smoother vape as opposed to the jumpy, uneven, inaccurate vape the DNA chip is notorious for.

I’m sure that last bit won’t cause any disagreement.
In reality I’ve never used a dna in tc but I just thought it funny so for posterity sake my dna comments are just a trolling effort and are not based on any real experience with that particular chip.

I thought it might be a short as well so I took out the wicks and checked to make sure everything was tight and not touching things that shouldn’t be lol ;)
Actually that’s a good idea. I’ll try it on my Vaporesso Revenger X. I love the way the TC is done with their mods.
Yes it works fine in Power mode. Maybe it’s the DNA being wonky. Thanks. I’ll play with it tomorrow.

Try setting lower Wattage used in TC. Up the original boost but lower wattage. SS twisted should work fine in TC and I have used it without issue. Needs to be spaced coils and OHM read at room temp to start off. If it 3 OHMS though not going to work. TC works better below 1 ohm and most mods won't do TC above 1.2 ohm or so.

Did you mean .3 OHM and not 3 OHM?

Sorry about that Beamslider - yes I meant .3 ohms.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've had clapton work fine and clapton be wonky in TC. I think it helps to have them broken in so it's not trying to get any internal coil shorts. One of the wonky ones was shorting on the deck in use, since taking it apart and making it smaller it's been acting fine unwicked.

I've also had wicking cause TC problems with duals. Way hot, take the wick out it acted fine, rewicked and the tank, mod, build deck has been fine since.

That does look like the outside coil is hotter than the others.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I've had clapton work fine and clapton be wonky in TC. I think it helps to have them broken in so it's not trying to get any internal coil shorts. One of the wonky ones was shorting on the deck in use, since taking it apart and making it smaller it's been acting fine unwicked.

I've also had wicking cause TC problems with duals. Way hot, take the wick out it acted fine, rewicked and the tank, mod, build deck has been fine since.

That does look like the outside coil is hotter than the others.
I was gonna say the same thing. That left side does look like it’s a hotspot. Unfortunately that’s all I got, maybe see if it is in fact running hotter there. Best of luck getting your build worked out, only other suggestion is to toss that coil and build another, maybe that one is just cursed

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd (guess) maybe with the DNA mod you need your coils to be pretty close to identical to get TC working well, it's possible that wattage (or your other mods) may be slightly more forgiving, but I don't do exotic builds and never have, so I'm not of much use there. If one coil IS getting warmer than the other, faster, I could see having a DNA mod have a fit about that, I guess. I mean, they are more precise.

So, it just may be a matter of practice, I think I would find getting two coils similar enough and ALSO twisting them might be a bit of a difficult endeavor. But, that's about all I've got. There is no reason they shouldn't work due to coil material or being twisted, it may just be a matter of tweaking things.

If it were me I'd try a SINGLE coil twisted build on your DNA to see how it does in TC mode, and that may give you your answer, which may simply be "I need to get my coils a bit more balanced," etc.

Good luck Fidola! :)

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I decided to see if it would work on other mods so I tried it on a different Therion and a Revenger X. It worked fine. So I’m thinking it’s got to be the DNA settings on that mod.

A bit later I’ll hook up to Escribe and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread