TCR ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Valyrian is the most recent addition to the Uwell Crown sub-ohm tank lineup. I don't use one but I use the original Crown tank.

TCR is Temperature Control (TC). Instead of wattage/power mode on your battery device, you need to switch over to TC. Instead of watts you'll use joules.

The coils used with the Valarian are Kanthal, so you can not use TC with this tank. Use wattage or power mode. Your battery device must be able to go to 120 watts to be in the recommended wattage range of its coils.

"The 0.15 ohm Valyrian A1 Kanthal Quad Coils features a wattage range of 95-120 watts." -Uwell

Can You Explain Temp Control Vaping to an Old Fart ? | E-Cigarette ...

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi brand new to this, I got given a valyrian vape, no book, what is TCR? And what is the best temp and watts??

TCR stands for Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. It is a setting for temperature control.

A simple explanation: Temperature control, is certain alloys change resistance on a consistent manner. Since many metals change resistance at predictable manner, it can be used to tell the temperature of the coil in a fairly accurate manner based on the change of resistance from room temperature. The Coefficient rating is the difference in resistance based on heat = X temperature. This is why when you get a new temperature control wire, you must determine it's base resistance at room temperature. Since each version of stainless is a different mix of metals, not all metals are listed. Other settings are known, like solid titanium or solid nickel are not a mixture of metals, so the coefficient is already known. For Stainless Steel, there are different mixes of Stainless Steel, but since most vaping wire uses Stainless Steel 316L, it is assuming that SS is using 316L.

When a mod uses temperature control, it provides a heafty load of power until the resistance reaches what should be whatever resistance that wire would be at the temperature you set at. If you use Nichrome or Kanthal, those don't change resistance as much as Stainless, Titanium, or Nickel, so it would simply keep providing a heafty load... constantly. Since the wire would never reach the resistance change, it would just burn your coil.

TCR setting is if you wanted to use a wire other than 316L, Nickel, or Titanium.. or a wire that the mod doesn't support. If you know it's Coefficient rating, you can plug that rating in and use it in temperature control. Here's a list of some Coefficient ratings I found.

Ni200: 0.00620 (Nickel)
Ti01: 0.00350 (Titanium)
SS316L: 0.00092 (Most Common SS wire)
SS316: 0.000915
SS317L: 0.00088
SS317: 0.000875
SS304: 0.00105
SS430: 0.00138 (shouldn't be dry burned very very hot as it becomes brittle at very high temperatures but a standard dry burn is no problem)
SS410: 0.00155
NiFe30: 0.00320
Tungsten: 0.00450
Platinum: 0.00392
Gold: 0.00340
Iron: 0.00500

The list did have Nichrome on it, I removed it from the list, since there are different versions of it. There is Nichrome 80, 60, and 40.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I should also add, Kanthal and Nichrome theoretically could be used in Temperature control, but since they are Alloys (mixtures of metals), the amounts of metals might change from one batch to the next, and have a different Coefficient rating. The only reason SS is used, is The type of steel (I.E. 316, 316L, 317, 317L, etc) is pretty much a standardized ingredient list of metals that should be used.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
A simple explanation: Temperature control, is certain alloys change resistance on a consistent manner. Since many metals change resistance at predictable manner, it can be used to tell the temperature of the coil in a fairly accurate manner based on the change of resistance from room temperature. The Coefficient rating is the difference in resistance based on heat = X temperature. This is why when you get a new temperature control wire, you must determine it's base resistance at room temperature. Since each version of stainless is a different mix of metals, not all metals are listed. Other settings are known, like solid titanium or solid nickel are not a mixture of metals, so the coefficient is already known. For Stainless Steel, there are different mixes of Stainless Steel, but since most vaping wire uses Stainless Steel 316L, it is assuming that SS is using 316L.

When a mod uses temperature control, it provides a heafty load of power until the resistance reaches what should be whatever resistance that wire would be at the temperature you set at. If you use Nichrome or Kanthal, those don't change resistance as much as Stainless, Titanium, or Nickel, so it would simply keep providing a heafty load... constantly. Since the wire would never reach the resistance change, it would just burn your coil.

TCR setting is if you wanted to use a wire other than 316L, Nickel, or Titanium.. or a wire that the mod doesn't support. If you know it's Coefficient rating, you can plug that rating in and use it in temperature control. Here's a list of some Coefficient ratings I found.

Ni200: 0.00620 (Nickel)
Ti01: 0.00350 (Titanium)
SS316L: 0.00092 (Most Common SS wire)
SS316: 0.000915
SS317L: 0.00088
SS317: 0.000875
SS304: 0.00105
SS430: 0.00138 (shouldn't be dry burned very very hot as it becomes brittle at very high temperatures but a standard dry burn is no problem)
SS410: 0.00155
NiFe30: 0.00320
Tungsten: 0.00450
Platinum: 0.00392
Gold: 0.00340
Iron: 0.00500

The list did have Nichrome on it, I removed it from the list, since there are different versions of it. There is Nichrome 80, 60, and 40.

Here's a much simpler explanation from a much simpler guy::confused:
Temp control mods keep the coil from getting hotter than the temp you set.

Some choose this method for flavor control, or because they don't want their vape too hot.
Others choose it to add a level of safety (harmful compounds can be released at higher temps).
Others (like me) choose it to get a more consistent vape, while adding that level of safety is bonus.
You might like it if you get a tank that uses coils compatible with TC.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi brand new to this, I got given a valyrian vape, no book, what is TCR? And what is the best temp and watts??

Hi Kyliegota. Welcome to the ECF.

When the Coil Wire gets Hot, the Resistance of the Coil Increases.

So if a Mod knew how much increase there was in Resistance from Room Temperature Coil to some Higher Resistance, it could Calculate how Hot the coil became. But the Mod would have to know How Much Resistance Change there was for each 1 Degree of Temperature Change.

That is what the TCR Number is.

And since Different Metal Alloys change resistance at Different Rates, each Metal Alloy will have a Different TCR Number.

A TC Mod will have Built In TCR Values for common TC Alloys like 316/316L SS or Ti or Ni200. So most of the time you don't need to do anything. Just select the type of Wire your Coil is and away you go.

But what happens if you Mod doesn't have a Built In Value for say 410 SS? And you want to use 410 SS Coils in TC Mode?

If you know what the TCR is for 410 SS and if your Mod has a Custom TCR Setting/Memory, then no problem. You just enter the TCR Value for 410 SS into the Custom TCR Setting/Memory of you Mod and things should work fine.

And later if you want to use a 316/316L SS Coil, you just switch to 316/316L on you Mod and now the Mod knows to use the Built In 316/316L TCR Value.

Most people don't use Custom TCR Values because Most people are Using either 316/316L or perhaps Titanium as a TC Wire type. So they just use the Built In values your Mod comes with.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would not worry too much about TCR for now given your tank only has kanthal coils. If you have no user manual, you'd probably find the information on the manufacturer's website. You could also watch a video review or two on YouTube. I find reviews helpful less so much for the reviewer's opinion, but many of them give a good demonstration of all the mod's capabilities. You don't have to do that right now, but if you do start using TC capable wires, you can take a look then and figure out how to best set up your mod.

The good news re: starting in wattage mode is that you will start to get a general sense of how your mod performs and what wattage ranges and resistances you enjoy. That information will be of use later, as most vapers tend to setup their TC (with whatever wire and coil) using a similar wattage range for the "ramp up" wattage into TCR--this will help get you to the "vape quality" you like, until you reach the upper limit of your temperature that you set, at which point the mod will halt using as much wattage sent to the coil, causing your temperature to remain steady and not exceed unsafe temperatures.

Best of luck,

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Here's a much simpler explanation from a much simpler guy::confused:
Temp control mods keep the coil from getting hotter than the temp you set.

Some choose this method for flavor control, or because they don't want their vape too hot.
Others choose it to add a level of safety (harmful compounds can be released at higher temps).
Others (like me) choose it to get a more consistent vape, while adding that level of safety is bonus.
You might like it if you get a tank that uses coils compatible with TC.

Yup... simple explanation. :) I usually tend to go a bit in depth, because if you run into a problem, you should have an idea of how it works, and will be able to fix the problem. It also reduces any confusion and answers future questions. A simple explanation like that might have him looking for the TCR setting of Nichrome.. not realizing there is none, and even if there were, there are different types of nichrome. Same with Kanthal, etc. It also explains what would happen if you do the wrong thing, put in a wrong setting, etc.

I've seen some pretty weird stuff happen in the vape industry. Shortly after "clapton coils" were becoming popular, one guy walked in to the vape ship with his dripper. he had "clapton" coils.. "made of REAL guitar string, not that home made string". It was a true facepalm moment, since fery few people, including me, know what guitar string is made of as well as the inhalation properties of Cobalt or whatever is in the wire.

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yup... simple explanation. :) I usually tend to go a bit in depth, because if you run into a problem, you should have an idea of how it works, and will be able to fix the problem. It also reduces any confusion and answers future questions. A simple explanation like that might have him looking for the TCR setting of Nichrome.. not realizing there is none, and even if there were, there are different types of nichrome. Same with Kanthal, etc. It also explains what would happen if you do the wrong thing, put in a wrong setting, etc.

I've seen some pretty weird stuff happen in the vape industry. Shortly after "clapton coils" were becoming popular, one guy walked in to the vape ship with his dripper. he had "clapton" coils.. "made of REAL guitar string, not that home made string". It was a true facepalm moment, since fery few people, including me, know what guitar string is made of as well as the inhalation properties of Cobalt or whatever is in the wire.
Yeah, I just got the feeling ("brand new to this," 1st post), that she really meant to ask what temp control was about - especially after Baditude pointed out that the tank wasn't even TC compatible. All good & very useful info you gave, but I just had the feeling she was looking for something a little more basic.

Guitar strings? o_O I guess if he'd heard of Elton coils, he'd have used piano wire! :eek:

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread