Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Teenagers' use of e-cigarettes fell sharply last year, while overall tobacco use declined to a new low, according to data that some antismoking advocates said could signal a turning point in the decades-long effort against youth smoking.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's annual report on youth and tobacco found that 11.3 percent of high school students used e-cigarettes in 2016, compared with 16 percent the year before. That's the first drop since the CDC started keeping track of e-cigarettes in 2011.

Teenagers’ tobacco use hits a record low, with a sharp drop in e-cigarettes

=========================================================
But a lot of states and localities like here in California are using teenagers as an excuse to ban flavors and increase taxes

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Oh the ANTZ will probably try to claim "victory" saying their anti-vaping propaganda is why the teen rate dropped. When in reality vaping for some teens was really just a fad like fidget spinners for 12 year olds.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
They are reporting a 26% decline in vaping in one year. If they reported the same decline in smoking it would be global front page news and everybody would want to know how that could happen. The tobacco control people hate this. It doesn't fit with their agenda. Kids care about clouds, not nic, not flavor. Vaping is not as habit forming as smoking so, curiosity satisfied, they lose interest in their cloud toys, same as their other toys. Next year vaping decline will level off and smoking decline will accelerate.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I won't even ask How Accurate the 2016 Numbers are?

Because then I would have to Ask How Accurate the 2015 Numbers were.
I agree.

I don't recall seeing many kids vaping in 2015, saw a few more in 2016 and now see many high school kids vaping in 2017 (I live a few hundred yards away from a large high school).

I would be suprised if the 2015/16 numbers are accurate and would be astonished if youth vaping didn't increase substantially from 2016 to 2017. Not a bad thing if it is replacing smoking.

Reactions: Jingles

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's a lot easier to quit vaping from what I hear, but don't forget with each year, kids are turning into "adults" who (at least statistically, year by year) are uncounted. Most teens start playing with nicotine products as they get older, but if in fact less children are taking up either habit, I'd love to believe those numbers. That would be fine with me. If less kids are taking up *either habit* then yay. But, I'm a cynic, with the whole FDA thing, it's in the government's best interest to say numbers are going down, then using their "regs" as the reason why. The FDA is pretty naiive, they're going to think that if they limit the sales to minors, minors are not going to try, and sometimes succeed, to obtain whatever they want.

Though, I remember as a teen being given one of those "anonymous surveys" and being, like, "Um, I am going to LIE, this is none of anyone's BUSINESS." So, I don't really pay too much attention to those statistics at all. I don't really trust statistics and/or self-reported data from teens, I mean if they're going to lie to their parents (and yes, I did) are they going to be like, "OH, yes, I shall self-report everything" on a government survey?

No, no they will not. Though, I do work with teens and I do see at least some of them declining in their desire to investigate smoking products. I think that's great, but I also think that if you can vote, get drafted to war, etc., as an adult, you should be perfectly free to engage in activities that are legal, even if they're not perfect. It's not statistics themselves that lie, but they can sure be manipulated based on the agency collecting and tabulating them. That is what I don't trust, and the whole "X number of teens are self-reporting doing/not doing whatever?" I don't trust that either. The government will need to start tailing teens and investigating garden sheds, in the dark of night, to try and get any kind of accuracy in their data. Also, what's next, how many calories do you take in a day?" Well, I guess that data could actually be accurately measured by a teen weigh in (what a TERRIBLE IDEA).

Anna

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
It's a lot easier to quit vaping from what I hear, but don't forget with each year, kids are turning into "adults" who (at least statistically, year by year) are uncounted. Most teens start playing with nicotine products as they get older, but if in fact less children are taking up either habit, I'd love to believe those numbers. That would be fine with me. If less kids are taking up *either habit* then yay. But, I'm a cynic, with the whole FDA thing, it's in the government's best interest to say numbers are going down, then using their "regs" as the reason why. The FDA is pretty naiive, they're going to think that if they limit the sales to minors, minors are not going to try, and sometimes succeed, to obtain whatever they want.

Though, I remember as a teen being given one of those "anonymous surveys" and being, like, "Um, I am going to LIE, this is none of anyone's BUSINESS." So, I don't really pay too much attention to those statistics at all. I don't really trust statistics and/or self-reported data from teens, I mean if they're going to lie to their parents (and yes, I did) are they going to be like, "OH, yes, I shall self-report everything" on a government survey?

No, no they will not. Though, I do work with teens and I do see at least some of them declining in their desire to investigate smoking products. I think that's great, but I also think that if you can vote, get drafted to war, etc., as an adult, you should be perfectly free to engage in activities that are legal, even if they're not perfect. It's not statistics themselves that lie, but they can sure be manipulated based on the agency collecting and tabulating them. That is what I don't trust, and the whole "X number of teens are self-reporting doing/not doing whatever?" I don't trust that either. The government will need to start tailing teens and investigating garden sheds, in the dark of night, to try and get any kind of accuracy in their data. Also, what's next, how many calories do you take in a day?" Well, I guess that data could actually be accurately measured by a teen weigh in (what a TERRIBLE IDEA).

Anna

Most every school already takes height and weight data for each student. Intervention and what forms based on the data are being explored now. A School Nurse-Delivered Intervention for Overweight and Obese Adolescents

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It happened to me, but only in Australia (I grew up all over the world.) It was SO HORRID, they did the dreaded caliper test weigh ins, along with a bunch of PE stuff we had to do, and this one poor chick was indeed horribly obese, and had the WORST time. She was the last to complete running a mile. There were many middle school girls who were saying HORRIBLE things, out loud, as she ran panting up and covered in sweat. Some chick said, "Why is she sweating so much?" To be fair to the PE teacher who coached this girl and encouraged her the entire way, she looked at that teen and said, "She has to work a lot harder than you!" in a very angry tone. Actually, I think that ended up a success as the PE teacher (gotta commend her for this one) worked with that girl over the summer and she came back reasonably buxom but in great shape and having lost about 100 lbs. So, I guess this can be a good thing, handled correctly.

I do hope the public school system can manage to handle this one correctly. The weighing and calipering all took place *in front of each other* though. That is just cruel, IMO. I'll have to check out the link, thanks :) Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread