Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
So I finally decided to try temp control with my subtank mini. I have the ni drop in coils but had trouble setting all the right variables. I could set it to temp and ni but then played a guessing game. I finally got it to work at 471f. I was scared I'd scald my mouth but it's perfect! Even cooler than the watt setting .
I'm really happy with the temp control and have decided I'll only use the SS wire when I build my kanger subtank and toptank's rbas so I can use them in temp. mode. Why didn't someone tell me earlier how much better temp control is over watts?
Just shows you never stop learning.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I like TC because it's smoother. I couldn't DTL until TC. And it's been working on my STMs since TC was invented (and copied so it became cheap enough for me to get).

471°F !!!!! Something is wrong. Maybe the mod isn't reading it right. That should be very hot/burnt.
I used to be 420°F until the news about heat and VG so I dropped to 360°-390°F. The other day I messed up and thought 4 instead of 3. By the 2nd puff I realized what I'd done.

SS fits in the STM RBAs nicely.

Some of those people don't like TC for some reason.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm using a Smok procolor. Figured out part of the temp problem The batteries were almost dead. Put in fresh batteries and it's set at 390 now with a great vape. On my Aurora I set the temp at 300 and it's great! Guess I won't use the procolor for temp mode.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'm using a Smok procolor. Figured out part of the temp problem The batteries were almost dead. Put in fresh batteries and it's set at 390 now with a great vape. On my Aurora I set the temp at 300 and it's great! Guess I won't use the procolor for temp mode.

Generally when I have to go lower than my usual the mod is reading high. Even a high room/summer temperature can do it. Even less than .01Ω is enough to throw it off.
My Cylon and Legend both can be too hot/cold with an initial reading, reset and they're fine, even though what's on the screen is the same numbers that were there before.
I'm often setting my coils in front of the AC or I stick them in the freezer for a bit.

And the most aggravating for too high of readings is mods that click 3 times to lock in the coil, so it bumps power to the coil 3 times causing it to be too warm

Too cold is easy, warm up the coil by firing it then reset it until it gets where it should be.
How do I know? Steam Engine as long as I didn't clip an unknown amount of wire.

Or you can set it to where it tastes good.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I finally got up the nerve to try titanium coils with the clr in an eGo mega 2 tank. Best tasting vape yet. So naturally I bought some premade coils and used them in other tanks. None of the other wires even come close to giving this type of vape(imo). They are a bit different to work with ie. Cannot dry burn them but cleaning is possible with a small brush and being careful with it. Paired with rayon and this is one coil that will last a long time.I can go a month to a month and a half before switching out the rayon. Of course that is juice dependant.

To be fair I have not tried the ni coils or wire. SS and kanthal are ok, but sometimes taste funny to me. My 2nd favorite wiring/coil is nichrome. That is what Kanger uses in the coils they send with the Subtank Mini RBA and are my standby.

:)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I was wondering what type of coils came in the kanger rba. Thanks for letting us know. I have a few kanger subtank mini rbas and another subtank mini on order so it's good to know I can use them in temp. mode.

The RBA itself has a Kanthal .5 ohm coil preinstalled. If you want to use with TC you would have to change it for SS or other TC Wire

The Toptank Mini Kit I got had the RBA plus a single SS coil included. The extra coil in the kit has changed over time as they make changes to the set in the box they pack.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I didn't get an extra coil in the top tank mini rba I ordered. :(
I was told the subtank mini rba and the toptanks mini rba were the same and interchangeable. Ft charges twice as much for the top tank mini rba so I only got one and the remainder are subtank mini rbas. I have 50ss pre-made coils just waiting for the other rbas to show up. I wonder if I have enough ;)

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I didn't get an extra coil in the top tank mini rba I ordered. :(
I was told the subtank mini rba and the toptanks mini rba were the same and interchangeable. Ft charges twice as much for the top tank mini rba so I only got one and the remainder are subtank mini rbas. I have 50ss pre-made coils just waiting for the other rbas to show up. I wonder if I have enough ;)
If you're like me, you never have enough, lol.

You're good for now. Give the pre-made coils a try. They will last you a long time. Somewhere along the way, you may want to explore rolling your own so you're completely in control of your vape. Simple SS coils like that are very easy to roll with or without a coil tool once you decide you're ready to try it.

With the Coil Master tool, you can spin perfect single wire coils like that out in seconds and wire is very inexpensive given how many coils you can make out of a spool. Sometimes I use the Coil Mater tool these days and sometimes I don't. It's a great way to start making your own when you're ready.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I'm really happy with the temp control and have decided I'll only use the SS wire when I build my kanger subtank and toptank's rbas so I can use them in temp. mode. Why didn't someone tell me earlier how much better temp control is over watts?
Just shows you never stop learning.

This is to me what is so Cool about using SS Coils. That you can Switch from Watts to TC if you want. And you Don't have to Keep Track of what RTA or RDA has a Non-TC Coil in it.

SS is, to Me, the Best of Both Worlds.

Now in my RTA's, I prefer Wattage Mode over TC. But this is just what I Like. Just like I run NiChrome 80 a lot in some of them. But that is just My Preference.

IMO, Everyone should try TC with a Decent Mod to see what they Like the Best.

• Agree
Reactions: Anise

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I was told the subtank mini rba and the toptanks mini rba were the same and interchangeable.

They are interchangeable. I don't know about the same. With the different revisions I have all kinds of different air flows. I think there were 3 revisions of RBAs, original, opened channels and set screw barrel with holes.

But looking at FT I think the 2x price difference is authentic vs clone.

Reactions: Beamslider

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
So are the RBA sections really NOT interchangable between the STM and the TTM?

I have a bunch of STM RBAs, but the TT I recently bought didn't come with one. I ASSumed they were interchangeable.

They are interchangeable. I have RBAs from my originals in my TopTank and vice versa.

I don't know when the final revision of the RBA happened to know if it was with the TopTank change. It was a function revision not a fit revision.
The only fit change from STM to TopTank I know of is the glass.

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread