Terrible issues with Old mod and now with new mod - Please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamRJ

ECF Veteran
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Hi,

Been a long time since I used this forum, but I need some help and advice please.......

So basically I used the Aspire Revvo Skystar mod for about 3 years or so and it was great but I had issues with that mod and the arc coils......

Basically what happened with that was coils I got from amazon and some proper e cig shops over the last few years for it just was dud when I primed them etc. I always primed the coils and let it sit upside down for 10 mins...... This did not work all the time and I kept getting burnt taste and no flavour when I replaced the coils and this kept happening and sometimes even in the space of 30 mins I replaced coil put a new one in and primed it and waited for 10 mins, reduced power to low Watts and bang burnt taste. So then switched coil again a few mins after putting that new coil in and again the coil did the exact same thing. This happened so often. And that is why today I then went and bought a brand new mod and tank which I will explain later in my post.

Another issue I had with the Aspire Revvo Skystar mod was the screen was a touchscreen and I actually had to buy a new mod replacement exactly the same 2 times, so I was on my third revvo skystar mod, this 3rd one I only had for like 2 months. Reason why I had to replace that mod 2 more times was the touchscreen DIED. Totally DIED so I was unable to actually change any settings or the watts or the time etc etc. It was really annoying. But now I am having issues with the coils again and no flavour and burnt taste. Every coil I put into it is just not working and giving burnt taste and no flavour. So now I just gave up and just went and bought a brand new mod and again having the exact same issue with this new mod and coils too............ :(

So now because of that it made me just go to a local vape shop and bought a brand new kit. The new mod tank I got was the GeekVape L200 and it has a Zeus Tank with Z1 coils...... I bought a pack of 5 replacement coils for it too.

But now I am not getting any flavour with this mod what so ever and I am getting the same burnt dry taste and again NO flavour. I am tearing my hair out here. Cos I am getting no flavour what ever I do. I then switched the coil that was pre installed with this mod I bought today with the second one it came with in the box. The one that was pre-installed said it should have been vaped at 70-80 watts. But when I tried it at that watts it was totally burnt taste so I lowered the watts and it stopped the burn taste but there is no flavour what so ever yet I get a lot of clouds.......

So I then switched it to the second coil that is the Z 0.25ohm one and that says it is 45-57watts.... But again I primed it and again I got burnt taste and no flavour........
    I have not opened the pack of 5 coils yet because I do not want to keep burning them out. Is there something that I am doing wrong. Is it my juice I am using?

In case people wants to know my juice here is the info.

I make my own juice. I use a base mix of 80VG/20PG then add 10ml 100% VG 18mg nic shot to a 60ml bottle so 10ml nic shot and 50ml is base mix. I shake that well each time and before I use it I let it sit for at least 1 or 2 days. Then I use 30mil bottle and add about 20ml of the mix into the 30ml bottle from the 60ml bottle and then I add the flavour into the 30ml bottle. I usually just add like 84 drops of flavour. I am using capella flavours.......

So that is basically my setup and my issues. So if anyone can please help and advice me on why or what is wrong or what I am doing wrong then please kindly help. I would greatly appreciate it a lot.
    I am losing my sanity trying to get a damn vape that has flavour right now its now been 2 days and I have basically been trying and wasting loads of coils and it is just not making any difference what so ever.

Thanks in advance

RJ :)

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @DreamRJ

Try one of your new coils in the Zeus Tank. There is a possibility the ones that came with the tank are bad (it happens!!!).

Sufficiently prime the coil.

Do not start vaping at the recommended wattage - - - start low and work your way up to the wattage you prefer.

I sincerely doubt it's your juice - - - more than likely it's the Zeus Tank.

You are not the first to mention no flavor with the GV Zeus Tank. Others have the same problem.

I would suggest researching and purchasing a better quality tank.

DreamRJ

ECF Veteran
  • Dec 28, 2017
    @DreamRJ

Try one of your new coils in the Zeus Tank. There is a possibility the ones that came with the tank are bad (it happens!!!).

Sufficiently prime the coil.

Do not start vaping at the recommended wattage - - - start low and work your way up to the wattage you prefer.

I sincerely doubt it's your juice - - - more than likely it's the Zeus Tank.

You are not the first to mention no flavor with the GV Zeus Tank. Others have the same problem.

I would suggest researching and purchasing a better quality tank.

Ok thanks for the reply, Firstly I will just answer your post then will give an update on the ongoing issues I had......

I will use the new coils at some point and yes I will also make sure to "Sufficiently Prime The Coil" and wait 10 mins and then turn the watts right down, but I always did that anyway......

So now I just wanted to give a update.......

It might have been the juice or the flavour I had in my old batch of juice...... or a mixture of the juice and the coils might have just been dud ones and yes I know it happens, but getting 3 to 5 dead coils in the space of an hour is not good.......

Anyway so before I went to bed last night I made a new batch of juice with a different flavour Green Apple and left it over night...... I am still using the second coil that came with my new mod and yes I was not getting any flavour but I did get a kinda sweet taste so I just left it in until today and waited for the juice in the Zeus tank to go down to low level then I used the new Green apple juice I made and I got FLAVOUR.

I did put a lot extra drops in that flavour though and maybe also because I left it over night it had time to bed in etc.

But the second coil does seem to have survived somehow even though it was not giving flavour with the other juice I had. I dont even remember what flavour that was now cos I threw the concentrate bottle in the bin. Cos I buy the 50ml Capella concentrate flavours from rainbowvapes and they come in a stupid flat shaped bottle so I always transfer them to a round bottle with a small nozzle so I can then count the drops etc..........

But I did put a lot more drops in this batch I made last night. I usually did like 84 drops of flavour but in that batch I made last night I put 120 drops in... So yeah it has made a difference and I can finally get the flavours.

I also noticed I cant go any higher than 40 watts with this Z0.25ohm coil because when I do it then gets a burnt taste......... So I am currently fine between 35-38 watts..........

The pack of 5 coils I got to was the Z1 0.4ohm ones which state they are meant for 50-60watts. I am just going to ignore that info because that is obviously WRONG.

I will just try the 0.4ohm when this coil I am currently using dies and then do it starting at 20 watts then slowly go up in watts and maybe try stay at maybe 46 watts ish on those coils.....

But for now at least I am OK finally.........

But damn I was like so unhappy and frustrated cos it is kinda expensive buying the coils etc and I forked out a big chunk last night on the new mod too.

But yeah I will keep this thread updated with ongoing updates if I remember to. :)

Thanks

RJ :)

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Anyway so before I went to bed last night I made a new batch of juice with a different flavour Green Apple and left it over night...... I am still using the second coil that came with my new mod and yes I was not getting any flavour but I did get a kinda sweet taste so I just left it in until today and waited for the juice in the Zeus tank to go down to low level then I used the new Green apple juice I made and I got FLAVOUR.

I've been DIYing my juice for many years. All juice requires time to steep. The flavor one experiences off a freshly mixed batch will not be the same as with a miscible mix. PG, VG, nicotine and flavors need time to homogenize.

Not steeping your mixes is likely the reason for not experiencing the flavor you expected with your Zeus Tank.

It's a very easy fix. Mix several juices, give them time to steep, as you start getting low mix more. That way you would always have juices that are well steeped. Just a thought!!!

I also noticed I cant go any higher than 40 watts with this Z0.25ohm coil because when I do it then gets a burnt taste......... So I am currently fine between 35-38 watts..........

The pack of 5 coils I got to was the Z1 0.4ohm ones which state they are meant for 50-60watts. I am just going to ignore that info because that is obviously WRONG.

I will just try the 0.4ohm when this coil I am currently using dies and then do it starting at 20 watts then slowly go up in watts and maybe try stay at maybe 46 watts ish on those coils.....

But for now at least I am OK finally.........

But damn I was like so unhappy and frustrated cos it is kinda expensive buying the coils etc and I forked out a big chunk last night on the new mod too.

But yeah I will keep this thread updated with ongoing updates if I remember to. :)

I think manufacturers stated coil wattage ranges are perhaps questionable at best. Getting a burnt taste over 40w could mean the coil isn't able to remain saturated or keep up with juice flow in order to meet desired higher wattages. Maybe the juice flow holes in the coils are not large enough, the wicks run dry and you end up with dry hits (burnt wick)??? Or perhaps the Z coils are poorly designed??? IDK, just tossing out my thoughts.

I use rebuildable RTA's and RDA's. Those allow me a wide range of customization. Wire type, wicking type, build types etc. Rebuildables are a huge cost savings versus the ongoing cost of drop-in coils.

Have you given any thought to trying rebuildable atty's??? I'm fairly confident that your vaping experience might be more positive and to your liking if you were to use a rebuildable atty.

It's nice to hear that you are OK for now.

Good luck!!! :greengrin:

Last edited:

DreamRJ

ECF Veteran
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Have you given any thought to trying rebuildable atty's??? I'm fairly confident that your vaping experience might be more positive and to your liking if you were to use a rebuildable atty.

It's nice to hear that you are OK for now.

Good luck!!! :greengrin:

I don't wanna get into making my own atty's, and yes I will make more batches of juice later tonight :)

Thanks for the info and advice tho :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't wanna get into making my own atty's, and yes I will make more batches of juice later tonight :)

Thanks for the info and advice tho :)
    Not talking about "making atties". Just making the coils (or buying them pre-made)
    You can buy any sort of pre-made coils from Fast Tech, and they are as easy to install as those EXPENSIVE drop in coils.
    I'm 81 years old, and if I can wrap my own coils, anyone can.
    It's just a matter of which would you rather do. Wouldn't you rather buy 50 pre-made coils from FT for the same price as one of those drop ins??

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Not talking about "making atties". Just making the coils (or buying them pre-made)
    You can buy any sort of pre-made coils from Fast Tech, and they are as easy to install as those EXPENSIVE drop in coils.
    I'm 81 years old, and if I can wrap my own coils, anyone can.
    It's just a matter of which would you rather do. Wouldn't you rather buy 50 pre-made coils from FT for the same price as one of those drop ins??

Keep in mind that FT is out of the vape business.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread