Tesla Invader Mini Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
Ok.. so i bought this Tesla Invader Mini Mod from an online vendor. It came today..and im quite diisapointed to say the least. Its listed as a Mech mod, with mosfet protection and battery protection.. i cant find any reviews or videos on this thing anywhere.. which is wierd.. anyway.. went to screw an rda on it and it hangs over the side of the mod, EVERY RDA I HAVE HANGS OVER THE EDGE.. its very irritating and an eye sore in my opinion.. the mod itself is sleek and sexy lookin lol but an overhanging Rda just kills the look entirely.. so i go to fire it expecting to be blown away with vapor and power....totally not the case... its like vaping at 10 watts... wth?... this thing in supposed to be a POWERHOUSE according the the description..but no... i put fresshly charged sony vtc4s in it too.. then i tried my frshly charged Lgs..still.. like vaping at 5-10 watts.. so im just wondering if anyone out there has this "Mech Mod" and are having these problems? I tried verious different rdas ranging with coils from .2 - .8 ohms and theres no power.. no vapor..

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
The other teslas are potentiometer devices arent they? The first site i found the mini on listed a .1 resistance limit which makes it seem like there is some sort of board/potentiometer on the device.. the pictures didnt show one though. Is it maybe on the bottom or inside the battery sled?
nope, nothing.. its states in the description that there is no adjusting of any kind on the mod, its purely mechanical, you get the power out of what coils your using and battery...so im at a loss.. this is my first mech. But i know enough about it to know its not functioning properly lol
Ive contacted Directvapor where i purchased it, but havent heard anything yet..it does have a chip board in it.. but theres nothing to be tweeked

KennedyKills

Jul 3, 2015
WI
Yeah i see they have a much better breakdown of it on 3fvape.. its a spring loaded 510 so it shouldnt have issues contacting your 510. I guess as long as your leads are solidly connected and batteries are fully charged I'd recommend not using it until someone with more experience than myself or your vendor gets back to ya. Sucks to get a new shiny that doesnt work right!

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah i see they have a much better breakdown of it on 3fvape.. its a spring loaded 510 so it shouldnt have issues contacting your 510. I guess as long as your leads are solidly connected and batteries are fully charged I'd recommend not using it until someone with more experience than myself or your vendor gets back to ya. Sucks to get a new shiny that doesnt work right!
I know! I was so excited for this mod..and now im just like :(.. my coils are perfect, well within the device and battery limits, deff has a good connection, and my batteries are almost brand new and fully charged.. somi have no clue..and now im sad all day...

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I just got one in the mail today and other than the overhang, it is working as I expected. Did you ever get yours performing the way you wanted or are you still having trouble?

The biggest thing I found is that the connection seemed a little hard to make with a few RDAs at first but it's been working just fine after that little hiccup, which basically seemed to resolve itself.

I got this as a backup knockaround mod so my expectations were admittedly pretty low but it's honestly hitting pretty hard for me. Not to rub it in or anything; I can certainly try to help if you're still having problems.

Reactions: MintyDripper

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
I just got one in the mail today and other than the overhang, it is working as I expected. Did you ever get yours performing the way you wanted or are you still having trouble?

The biggest thing I found is that the connection seemed a little hard to make with a few RDAs at first but it's been working just fine after that little hiccup, which basically seemed to resolve itself.

I got this as a backup knockaround mod so my expectations were admittedly pretty low but it's honestly hitting pretty hard for me. Not to rub it in or anything; I can certainly try to help if you're still having problems.
Well, when i first got the mod, i went to put some batts in and noticed that the Mosfet/wiring box with the positive connection wasnt even screwed down all the way.. it was rattleing all ove ther place.. so i had to remove the sticker and tighten it down a little.. right off the bat i was like..uggh.. but thought nothing of it cause it wasnt That Big Of A Deal..but Then first few days, it wasnt firing hard at all, no matter what build i threw on it, it just kept hitting like i was vaping at 10watts. I did notice however, that the enitre 510 connection looked off.. like it was coated in some kind of yellowish gloss. And i was right.. dont kno what it was but after a few days it wore off and got to a normal metal look and the mod fires like a champ! Great little mod but i am still having issues.. the battery connection bay is so tight it ripped my sony vtc4s trying to get them out, then it ripped my efests going in... and my fire button is crooked, ones side is sunk into the mod so its got a crunch sometimes when i fire it. Seller issued RMA so im sending it back for inspection/repair or replacement. But i love the mod, absolute "beast in a little package" as the despcription says..but calling it little or mini? i dont know how they can call this a mini, its at least 3mm taller then my MVP pro. Anyway, im rambling.. long story short, mine had issues lol. But hopefully ill be getting one that was properly assembled.. where did you get yours from?

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I got mine from DirectVapor for $19.99 and again, it's pretty brand new but everything seems fine except for the tight battery bay and lack of ribbon. I may try to install a ribbon... but my bay isn't awful awful either. I managed to get my Samsung 25Rs out OK but it was definitely tight.

Like I said I had a few firing issues at the beginning but once it "settled in" for lack of a better term I had no other real issues. First I tried it with my Shuriken and then my Velocity; both fired a little spotty. I tried it with my Mutation XV4S and it was also spotty. I left the Mutation on and tightened it a bit and then it was totally fine so I think it may have been the connection. I honestly can't remember if I tried the Shuriken or Velocity again after that but I think so. The Mutation has a slightly longer pin too.

For the price and for its purpose, like I said my expectations were low. It definitely sounds like you got a particularly cruddy one though. I like Teslas pretty well... I have a Tesla Two (with a broken 510... mostly my fault but it still takes atties with long pins) and I got an Invader III new Tesla Three in the same package as the Invader Mini. The Invader III battery bay is also really tight but has a ribbon.

If it weren't for the stupid 22mm overhang the Invader Mini would be really awesome. It's still OK, if you get a decent one evidently. It would have been nice if they had included a ribbon and could have shaved off a few inches but otherwise mine's doing all right. I used it with a .14 build and Samsung 25Rs all day and was really impressed by the battery life.

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
Yea i got mine there too. And same here with that overhang uggghh, if it werent for that this would be one of my fav mods. I am very impressed with this mods battery life too, those 4 mosfets are awesome and work well. I drained my LG HG2's down to a sliver of energy (from 9am - 11:45pm) and didnt even notice powerloss or overheating, with dual 24g 2.5mm coils at .22 ohms. Which is pretty awesome, since i can usually notice powerloss on my Tc100 and thats more regulated, and heats up with low builds..This is my first tesla product, but i love them and will be getting more shortly. For $20 i might get another one of these in the grey or blue. I havent brought it lower then .18 but it fires it very fell, with no overheating or anything. Overall a great mod, just seems like it was assembled quickly without doublechecking.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Depending on what you're looking for, Tesla makes a number of other similar mods that probably don't cost much more and may be a little more aesthetically pleasing. There was another Invader that took 26650s and 186650s (either/or) and I don't think had the overhang, but is obviously bigger. I haven't used it much yet but the new Tesla 3 is unreg and seems really nice and hefty, and the Invader III has the potentiometer but also seems well built. The Tesla II is probbaly closest to the Invader Mini but maxes out at 100W (that might be OK for you?) but also has an internal battery. Just some thoughts. I happen to own those all now besides the 26650-capable invader but they're all kind of in the same family. The Invader III is a little different but IMO it hits more like a mech once you set it. Still, for the price the overhang on the invader mini isn't that big of a deal and performance is pretty impressive for what it is.

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
Yes, for what it is, its well worth the buy. But Ive been eyeing the tesla invader 3 with the potentiometer for days now.. have it in my cart with some vtc5s just waiting.... haha. I love the look of it, and how its only got the button and meter, besides the blue led. Ill never use 240w tho lol. I usually stay below 80 unless im cloud chasing or something. Most of my regs are 100w except my Rx200. Im looking for a good solid "safe" tube mech tho. Made the mistake of buying a cloned 4nine off ebay and damn near blew up in my hand.. arcd like crazy, zapped my hand through the tube threads, and got very hot all the way to the bottom. I Opened the mod and theres about 5 arc marks(looks like lightning) all the way down to the button. And i cant figure out why.. rda pin was great and where it should be, not battery rattle. As soon as i hit the fire button it does it. Every time. Im note sure what this 4nine is made of tho..it was sopposed to be a black copper mod. But its not, and i dont think its SS either. its hard to tell, it actually looks like the bottom half could be SS(its deff got weight to it) but the 2 top tube extentions are something else.. and the magnet connections are questionable.. not sure what the connections are.. needless to say i havent used it since the day i got it a few weeks ago. The inside of the tube is coated in black paint too, and where the arcs happened it is very shiny silver now. Kinda blue tinited too.. weird

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yeah, I don't know nearly enough to guess what's going on with that tube but I surely know enough to commend you for not continuing to use it. I wouldn't use it again unless you can get someone with a solid electrical background to look at it and possibly do some heavy modding. It sucks when that happens, but it happens.

For the most part, I stay away from tube mechs. The builds I usually like putting on unregulated mods either sort of push it with one battery or else are completely unacceptable for a tube, and being that's the case it's not worth shelling out a ton for a single-18650 mechanical and then have to build higher than I really want. There are probably? some reasonably priced authentic tubes but a lot are pretty expensive for what you're really getting and I never do clone devices, for exactly the reasons outlined above. I have a complicated relationship with clones as many people do and certainly some people have well-loved and absolutely functional (if not wonderful) clone devices... I just don't ever go that route for mods. Sometimes RDAs. ANYWAY, really sorry that happened and I hope you can either get it sorted or simply get something else so you can forget about that tube.

With the caveat that I only received it yesterday, I would highly recommend the Invader III. I absolutely love it so far. I'm not sure if it's psychological because it's so simple but I swear it hits more like a mech than a regulated device. It's not a mech, of course, but idk. It doesn't hit exactly like a mech but it doesn't seem to hit exactly like your typical regulated device, either. I've got a .3ohm dual clapton on there just past "II" which I believe puts it around 4.2-4.4 volts and and it's absolutely singing. It would be nice if numbers/marks on the potentiometer really meant anything, but eh. If you do get it, just FYI according to Vaping Bogan the roman numerals on the potentiometer are: I: 3.6V; II: 4.0V; III: 4.6V; IV: 5.4V; and V: 6.5V.

I can't remember if the Tesla Two [Sub Mod] had a floating 510 or spring loaded... at the time I only had two atomizers and the Twisted Messes was the main one I used, it has a fairly long pin. I know I mentioned this above but the TM fit pretty flush on the Tesla Two and I didn't feel like I was cranking it down but eventually the connector got stuck in a recessed position and now only fires with the Twisted Messes or a few other atomizers. That's the only thing I'm a tiny bit worried about with the Invader III (or most other Tesla Mods with spring-loaded connectors, frankly, including the Invader Mini) but hopefully the III has a sturdier connector and I know to be careful now.

So yeah, knowing that I can't speak yet to its longevity, I absolutely love the Invader III. It has some good heft to it, seems really well built for the price, does what it claims to do as far as I've seen and can tell, and has a hit that's kind of in between a regulated and mech, to me. It probably works best with RDAs and RTAs but a) it doesn't sound like that's a problem for you and b) I don't really see why it wouldn't work with some good subohm tanks but I just usually prefer to have more info/finer control with those.

Ed: Just FYI, the Invader III does seem to have a slightly short 510. Most of my atties don't screw all the way down and I'm not interested in cranking because of what happened with the II. Doesn't really bother me but worth nothing in case it bothers you.

Last edited:

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
On mods with no center pin/direct to battery contact, you wanna make sure the pin on the atty extends out enough not to short out.
WILL WORK
image.jpg

WON'T WORK
image.jpg

Reactions: MintyDripper

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
On mods with no center pin/direct to battery contact, you wanna make sure the pin on the atty extends out enough not to short out.
WILL WORK
View attachment 592463
WON'T WORK
View attachment 592461
Yes, i know this very well. Ive done quite a bit of research and saftey reads before i ventured into getting this 4nine mech mod. Like i said, everything was adjusted accordingly.. almost every rda i have has a protruding 510 or adjustable 510 so they should not have a problem. I think its the button/magnets.. the button itself has no delrin..just a magnet inside "copper" which i dont think is actually copper..looks brass/ss.no idea. And the magnet/spacer that attatches to the battery is questionable too.. dont think its copper either.. and it moves from side to side on the bottom of the battery when the other magnet tried to push it. i have no idea why its arcing and trying to blow my hand off.. but i think its just a reeeally bad clone. So its just a paperweight now lol, only paid $5 at auction so not a big loss..

MintyDripper

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2015
Anyway, wayy off topic now lol. Now my invader mini is getting hot at the bottom(where the two screws are) everytime i let off the fire button... it doesnt get hot while im vaping..but as soon as i let off the fire button i feel an instant heat at the bottom of the mod..something is deff not working here, i think one of the mosfets failed maybe? Im just having horrible luck with mods lately.. ugghh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread