Tesla Punk 86W VW MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Punk 86W VW mod from Teslacigs. The Tesla Punk 86W VW mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from sourcemore.

PUNK 86W

Introduction

Teslacigs in my opinion manufacturer some excellent vaping devices, best known for their Punk and Wye series of mods the Punk 86W is their latest in the former series. The Punk 86w has the carved Steampunk look that we have been accustomed with but is a venture into the regulated tube mod market. The Punk 86w is a simple device which is only suitable for vapers using Power modes as their are no TC features. With a top wattage of 86w and featuring both variable Wattage and Bypass modes let's give the latest Punk a little look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x Tesla Punk 86W MOD
1x USB Cable
1x Battery Safety Card
1x QC Card
1x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Punk 86 came in cardboard with sleeve packaging and on opening the top tray proudly displayed the 28mm in diameter steampunk themed tubular device. I received the Stainless Steel version, it's also available in Antique Copper, Gun Metal and Antique Brass. Aesthetically the Punk series in general are either to your taste or not, i personally love the busy carved cogs design. The carved design dominate the look of the device which as mentioned is 28mm in diameter but both top and bottom battery cap taper to 26mm. On the front of the device we have a Round Gun Metal coloured fire button towards the top and towards the bottom small round Gun Metal navigational buttons, below these is a small rectangular screen, The buttons and screen are curved to the contours of the device and the fire button both looks and feels very nice but has quite a rattle which is unfortunate as the build quality in general is very good. Towards the top to the rear is the micro USB port and the base which is the battery cap has printed safety marks and venting holes. Up top the Gold plated, spring loaded 510 has a raised rim around it to protect the main surface of the device and will also stop e-liquid getting to the 510, the perimeter of the top of the device also has a raised rim so no gaping will be visible. With it being a tubular device it's ergonomically sound and has a solid feel without being over heavy.

Punk 86 Specs and Features:

Size: 28 x 104mm
Material: Brass+SS
Cell Type: Single 18650 cell(not included)
Output Mode: P(Power) / B(By Pass) mode
Output Wattage: 7-86W(in 0.5W increments)
Max Output Voltage: 8.5V
Max Output Current: 30A
USB Charging: 5V/1.0A
OLED Screen: 0.49 inch
Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm
Exquisite carving appearance
Multiple protections ensure safe vaping
Thread: 510
Colours: Antique Copper, Gun Metal, Antique Brass, Stainless Steel

Fitting The Battery

The Punk will only accommodate an 18650 battery,of course a 21700 would be much better but with the PCB running up the front of the device the tube would need to be 31mm in diameter to accommodate one which will be quite some girth which would put off many. The bottom of the tube has a cap which screw off, the threading is top notch, then simply pop your battery in negative up and screw the cap back on. Orientation is brightly marked inside the tube but i still wish a negative symbol in White was printed on the underneath of the top-cap. There is no battery rattle whatsoever but when testing for this, the rattle from the fire button is very evident.

The Display

Being a tubular device the Punk 86 has a small screen but it's bright and sharp giving all the information you need. To the left we have the battery status bar in a vertical position, central is the wattage, then to the left is the mode. The bottom of the display has resistance to the left and to the right the voltage.

Navigating The Punk 86

The Punk 86 is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, when on pressing the - and + buttons together locks and unlocks the device, when locked the device still fires. The Punk 86 is a very simple device having just 2 power modes, variable wattage and bypass, to change between the modes is 3 clicks of the fire button. Obviously when in Bypass you have no control over wattage as the device takes whatever voltage is available from the battery but shows both voltage and what wattage is being outputted. when in variable wattage mode as usual just adjust wattage using the - and + buttons, press the fire button and vape. The device does have multiple safety protections which is standard with regulated devices and although i personally wouldn't charge my battery in the device unless it was my only option it does support on-board charging.

Protections

Low Voltage Protection
Low Resistance Protection
High Resistance Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over Vape Protection (10s)

Performance

I really enjoyed using the Punk 86, it feels great in the hand, looks amazing (in my opinion) and performed well at my preferred wattage's. I spent a lot of time with this one with it being a simple device concentrating on vaping at different wattage's with different tanks and atty's and the performance is a mixed bag. If i had just used the Punk 86 at my preferred 30-50w wattage range i would be singing it's praises and at these sort of wattage's it's an enjoyable device that performs well with fair battery life. Without access to data i can't say for sure if the device does the full 86w but with a fresh battery it's in the ball park seeming at least 80w but as the battery started running down it began to struggle and battery life really plummeted. When i tried it in bypass mode again it performed well with a fresh battery and obviously as it's giving you the wattage it's outputting it is doing the wattage it says but once the battery hit about 3.7v the voltage plummeted in next to no time. Using the device at the higher end of it's claimed wattage once the battery had run down a bit 65-70w seemed to be it's max output as it did struggle. After saying that when using up to 60w which really is what i imagine is the upper limit most people using a single 18650 device would want to vape at the device was cracking, firing instantly with no misfires. The device will accommodate up to a 26mm atty with 24mm, 25mm and 26mm atty's all looking good apart from i wish there was a Punk themed RDA and RTA to match the design.

Conclusion

If you vape around the 30W to 60W range, which i would imagine would be most people who would be looking at a 86w tube mod you will not be disappointed with this device as it performs great. If however you vape at higher wattage the Punk 86w does suffer with low performance and quick battery drain.

Apart from fire button rattle build quality very good
Feels great in hand
Steampunk design (objective)
Comes in 4 colour options
Nice threading on battery cap
Very simple to use
Performed well with fair battery life up to 60w
Fires instantly
On board charging (not recommended)
Accommodates up to 26mm atty's without overhang
Bright, sharp display

Cons

Fire Button Rattle
Will only accommodate 18650 battery
Once battery isn't fresh struggled to hit higher wattage's and poor battery life
No TC ( obviously only a con for TC users)

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Tesla Punk 86w VW Mod for the purpose of this review.

PUNK 86W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread