Tesla Punk Mini 85W Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Punk Mini 85W Box mod by Teslacigs. The Punk Mini 85W Box mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Lily Pan from the Healthcabin.

https://www.healthcabin.net/tesla-punk-m...17554.html
https://www.healthcabin.net/tesla-punk-m...17625.html

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Tesla Punk 85W Box mod (Battery not included)
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Punk 85W is the single battery version of the duel battery Punk 220W and like it's bigger brother is a real looker. The Steampunk design possibly makes both versions of the Punk the best looking device's available. The device has some weight to it but it's that expensive reassuring weight you get with a very solid well made device. The device i use mainly when i'm out and about is the Sigelei Evaya 66W Stabilised Wood TC Box MOD because i feel the size and weight suits my hands perfectly as a very ergonomic device and the Punk 85 matches it. Both sides of the device as a perspex covering through which you can see 2 different steampunk designs, one of these designs include a honeycomb grill which is used for LED's to shine through. I received the rainbow version, the device is also available in Gun Metal, Brass and Antique Copper, all versions look equally gorgeous. The front of the device houses the screen centrally, has a very nice round fire button at the top and up and down buttons towards the bottom, underneath the navigating buttons we have the micro USB port. The Spine of the device is featureless, the bottom is the battery door which has etched safety stamps and finally moving to the top of the Punk 85 we have a raised 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510 sitting centrally. I have seen a review of this device that mentioned fire button rattle on the sample versions, i received the retail version and can confirm there is no rattle from the device whatsoever, in fact the build quality is very impressive.

Punk 85W Specs:

Measurements: 44mm x 30mm x 86mm
Output modes: VW/TC Ti/TC Ni/TC SS/TCR
Taste modes: normal, soft, hard, user
Power mode output range: 7W to 85W
Temperature mode output range: 200F to 600F or 100C to 300C
Temperature control resistance range: 0.05ohm to 1.0ohm
Power mode resistance range: 0.1ohm to 3.0ohm
Maximum output current: 30A
Unit:1Set
Colour: Gun Metal/Brass/Antique copper/Rainbow

Punk 85W Features:

1. Retro punk style design with translucent panels
2. Made from zinc alloy with ABS and PC
3. OLED screen with horizontal menu
4. Uses a single 18650 battery
5. Bottom sliding cover to access
6. Micro USB 1A charging system
7. High quality buttons
8. 510 threaded connection
9. Three memory slots

Using the Punk 85W

The battery door on the base of the Punk 85 is very good as it's held in place with both a catch and magnets so it's not going anywhere, the only thing is the door comes completely off so make sure you don't lose it, the Punk 85 takes a single 18650 and orientation is clearly marked. To turn the device on or off is 5 clicks of the fire button and before we get into the main user interface there are a couple of combination key press features. Pressing fire and down together locks the device but still allows the device to fire and up and fire pressed together brings up the LED options. All the information you need is on the screen and the display is nice and bright, top left we have the resistance, underneath this we have voltage (this changes to wattage in temp control), under this we have the preheat within a rectangle and beside this your mode within another rectangle. Going back to the top of the screen to the right of what's already been described is the wattage (this changes to temperature when using a temp control wire). Underneath this we have an elongated battery status bar with the status also being shown as a percentage. Finally bottom right is a square with an "M" inside, this means nothing is chosen but this can be changed to M1, M2 or M3, and are your memory slots. The user interface on the Punk 85 is really good, it has everything you need on a device yet no fancy menu system to enter simply move around the screen and make your changes. 3 clicks of the fire button highlights the resistance, from here simply use the left and right buttons to highlight different things, when you reach what you want to alter press the fire button then alter or scroll through the options it gives you before pressing fire again to set. Resistance you can lock or unlock, Preheat gives you the choice of, norm, hard, soft or user, if you pick user it brings up your 10 second curve that can be set (if curve is set, while vaping the curve graph is displayed). When choosing the mode it comes up with the choice of, KA, NI, TI, SS and TCR, KA is for Kanthal but forget that it just means you will be in wattage mode and your coil doesn't need to be Kanthal at all. Choosing one of your TC wires will obviously change the wattage display to temperature but now where it did display the volts displays wattage that can be altered for temp control. Finally we can highlight and select M to select or alter and then select one of your 3 memory slots. The device like i said has all the features yet altering or choosing anything can be done so quickly, the user interface has to get top marks.

The LED's

As mentioned the LED options can be accessed by pressing the up and fire buttons together. The LED's on the Punk are done really well, not up there with the Joyetech Espion Infinite but out of all the devices with LED's i have used the Punk comes in a very good second. The lights are behind a honeycomb grill and sections of the grill light up with the Led's. It's the way the grill lights up and the simple way they are done that works so well on the Punk 85, just 3 colours Green, Red and blue and the choice of 5 different settings for how the lights are displayed plus the option of turning them off. If you like LED's leave them on they only come on when vaping with no other options and really take very little power so you won't notice any difference with your battery life.

Performance

If you don't vape at high wattage's and 85W is enough for you i can't think of a 100W device or lower that i have tried which performs better than the Punk. It fires instantly and hit's true, very accurate and it does the 85W no problem from what i can tell. I loved using the curve feature and the way the interface works really is top notch. My 25mm Zeus looks great on it which give's about half a mil spare all the way round the plate so 26mm will sit flush on the plate. The battery life is what you would expect from a single 18650 and the device is firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

If 85W is enough power for you i haven't used a device in this wattage range that performs better and it also looks gorgeous.

Very good Build Quality
Feels fantastic in the hand
Battery door fits very securely
Looks gorgeous
Centre 510
Temp Control
Custom Curves
Excellent user interface
LED's done very well (can be turned off)
Battery life what you would expect
Firmware upgradeable

Dislikes

If being really picky, the battery door could get lost

I would once again like to thank Lily Pan from the Healthcabin for supplying the Tesla Punk Mini 85W Box Mod for the purpose of this review.

https://www.healthcabin.net/tesla-punk-m...17554.html
https://www.healthcabin.net/tesla-punk-m...17625.html

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi battery door broke and only a week and test it does not return emails so looks like I’m out of luck,, it did work great though for the first week
Hi Mate, the battery door comes off to put the battery in so a bit confused. Tesla not responding to emails is a poor show. Have you contacted where you bought it from or did you get it direct from Tesla. If i was in contact with Tesla i would have words on your behalf but the device i reviewed for vendor so probably would be ignored like you.

• Agree

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
I know the door comes off mine is broke it will not go back on, and my vendor has no warranty they say to contact Tesla Tesla will not respond to my emails but thank you, I would pay for a new door but they don’t respond so I can do anything
have you tried messaging them on social media?

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Yes
Nothing
No response
The only thing i can suggest is posting about it on their Facebook page even mentioning they just don't respond to emails or messages, keep posting they won't like others reading it so will probably start dialogue to stop the posts. It is disgusting their lack of customer service.

• Agree

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
The only thing i can suggest is posting about it on their Facebook page even mentioning they just don't respond to emails or messages, keep posting they won't like others reading it so will probably start dialogue to stop the posts. It is disgusting their lack of customer service.
I tried that but outsiders can’t post on their website or their Facebook page but thanks for the info

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've always had really good experiences with Teslacigs. I'm having a hard time understand how the door isn't working (it won't slide in? It's somehow "deformed"? What exactly is the issue?)

With that said, (and I am a teslacigs fan) I'm not quite sure why your vendor is refusing to honor the warranty for you, unless theirs is out of date, and Teslacig's is longer?

I would continue to try and get in contact, but you also shouldn't have to accept that outcome. While it penalizes the vendor (and I might email the vendor too, informing them that teslacigs is non responsive and seeking their aid) I would probably consider a charge back if everyone's being unresponsive. I would try again, and contact the vendor again, but if the issue isn't resolved in a few days, well, you'd have informed the vendor you are getting no response and need assistance with this matter, I kind of feel like you would be well within your rights to initiate a charge back and etc.

I hope you get it sorted out. I wish they'd released this punk FIRST. LOL, the 2 battery model I had to sell, it was so heavy and boxy that it hurt my hands. I bet I would have been much happier with the one battery version.

I hope you get it resolved.

Anna

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
I've always had really good experiences with Teslacigs. I'm having a hard time understand how the door isn't working (it won't slide in? It's somehow "deformed"? What exactly is the issue?)

With that said, (and I am a teslacigs fan) I'm not quite sure why your vendor is refusing to honor the warranty for you, unless theirs is out of date, and Teslacig's is longer?

I would continue to try and get in contact, but you also shouldn't have to accept that outcome. While it penalizes the vendor (and I might email the vendor too, informing them that teslacigs is non responsive and seeking their aid) I would probably consider a charge back if everyone's being unresponsive. I would try again, and contact the vendor again, but if the issue isn't resolved in a few days, well, you'd have informed the vendor you are getting no response and need assistance with this matter, I kind of feel like you would be well within your rights to initiate a charge back and etc.

I hope you get it sorted out. I wish they'd released this punk FIRST. LOL, the 2 battery model I had to sell, it was so heavy and boxy that it hurt my hands. I bet I would have been much happier with the one battery version.

I hope you get it resolved.

Anna
Thanks for the info actually the door just broke in half it does slide in but it just snapped

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is there a reason you think they banned you? Teslacigs, I mean? What was the tone and tenor of your requests? I hate to think Teslacigs would behave this way. I still think maybe taking it up with the vendor and just leaving it at "I contacted on x, y, z date with no response and now I can't email, either," and seeking their aid with the warranty would be of use. If the vendor won't help, I'd still say a charge back would be the best idea. It's possible you could solder the door together worst case (I'd recommend on the outside, although you'd have to make sure you could "smooth" it enough that the mod could sit, or even super glue it together or something? You have nothing to lose. With that said, if I got no response from the company or the vendor, I personally would do a charge back.

It may prevent you from using the vendor in the future but they sound like they are being far less than awesome in any case. So unless it's a vendor you feel you need to continue to use, just get your money returned. Keep track of everything you tried then contact your CC or bank. Honestly, I can't see using a vendor who treated my warranty request like so as being any kind of vendor I would want to use again.

Hope you get it sorted out

Anna

Reactions: LarryPer

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
Great advice as usual but It cant be fixed
The problem is I only used it for a week but I had it for over a month so the vendor Can’t do anything after that long of a time. That was my fault but no it can’t be fixed and it seems like a lot of people are having this problem the little door can’t handle the stress of the battery pushing on it

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Great advice as usual but It cant be fixed
The problem is I only used it for a week but I had it for over a month so the vendor Can’t do anything after that long of a time. That was my fault but no it can’t be fixed and it seems like a lot of people are having this problem the little door can’t handle the stress of the battery pushing on it
I haven't seen any other comments anywhere about this problem, my device seems a solid well built device including the battery door, if there's a more long term issue with the battery door can weaken then snap that's a big problem and you would think if that's the case a replacement battery door without the issue would become available, but like i said you are the only one i personally know who's had a problem.

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
I haven't seen any other comments anywhere about this problem, my device seems a solid well built device including the battery door, if there's a more long term issue with the battery door can weaken then snap that's a big problem and you would think if that's the case a replacement battery door without the issue would become available, but like i said you are the only one i personally know who's had a problem.

Tim
Do you know how to get in touch with them?
Facebook and wesite support wont work
Ill pay for a new door

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Tim
Do you know how to get in touch with them?
Facebook and wesite support wont work
Ill pay for a new door
I didn't get the item from them so i would have no more joy than you, i can ask the vendors i do reviews for if they have more direct contact i.e an email to an individual at Tesla rather than just the general one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread