Tests with an off-brand 3.0 dripping atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
So I found an old 3.0 Cisco-like dripping atty from the reccesses of my vaping gear, and the coil looked as though I never got around to using it, so I figured I'd give it a test!

This one happens to be completely bridgeless and gut less - nothing but a coil and wick.

I drip one of my big tester juices, a juice that really gives me a good signal if a device is working - Indigo's Captain Ron.

The first couple hits weren't bad at all. The flavor was a bit dull compared to the Cisco (the Cisco 3.5ohm really caused the notes to shine through brilliantly and filled with life at around 4.1V's), and this off-brand model simply didn't seem to deliver as full of a flavor around the 3.8-4.1V range, nor anything below or above it.

However, after a couple hits, around came this ghastly, dry, singed-silica tasting vape - the flavor of that aspect was so strong, it was like vaping the iClear 30 for a second time.

With this dripper being completely bridgeless, and the Cisco having a bridge (which helps capture more juice), I do know this particular dripping atty "gives out" on the juice much quicker, so I test again.

With a drop more liquid, the flavor returns exactly as good as it was on the first test hits.

I then test a couple more juices, like some from VCV, and some NET's, and though the flavor performance is a bit sub-par to the Cisco, I was actually getting flavor that was fairly true to form - that's a big deal for me, right off the bat.

However, what confuses me, is even when this atty starts to taste extremely dry after a few hits, I'll look in the atty and still see that the wick is quite wet. It's not flooded, but there's still juice that the coil looks like it could pull in from how it is sort of captured and thick on the ends of the silica.

This makes me question - is this thing only vaping clean when the coil itself is submerged in juice, or is it simply the silica giving off this dry taste to me? I will say that when the dry hit happens, there's also notes of metal.

Coil or wick? The answer to this has been one of my most sought-after questions in the entire vaping world. What causes a device to taste dry? There is too much flavor in the dry hit (sulfur, insulation, burned cotton, metallic notes) for this to simply be hot air!

This has been an interesting test though, and despite this particular atty not giving off "full" enough flavor in comparison to the Cisco to be a satisfactory device, especially since it runs dry just after 2 puffs, it's not an all day vape, but it is interesting that I am getting a great result in terms of cleanliness and general flavor accuracy out of any juice for those 2 puffs.

Simply put, I feel like Phil right now, because I am indeed getting a standard, good result from this atty each time I drip, but that even in that goodness, I can judge wether the atty is giving me full juice complexity. This is as bad as devices should get! They shouldn't be worse than this type of result, with how some device give extremely dry taste layers to each and every hit!

Any comments to share?

But yes, with this test, it's obvious that I need my devices to wick more than they don't, but the question of "Is this the coil?" or "Is this the wick?" is the difference from having a CE4 work for me, and ONLY drippers.

I wouldn't even be able to get an RDA to work unless my taste buds require the coil to be constantly soaked with liquid. RDA coils only have juice fed from cotton or silica, there's really no way for an RDA coil to have juice all over it at all times - this can pretty much only happen with the unique build that dripping atties provide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread