TEXAS amend SB-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
<<<[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Multiple bills have been introduced in Texas that would ban sales of vapor product to minors (which we support), but would also severely restrict internet sales (which we oppose). CASAA is currently focused on SB 97
, which received a hearing last week before the Senate Health & Human Services Committee. SB 97 would impose unnecessarily harsh restrictions on Internet sales, including requiring every single order to a Texas resident to be sent using an ID check service that costs $6. >>>

Okay I have a question. I [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]clicked on this, and wrote a note, on top of the pre-written statement. I hit submit. I don't know if it went through, because I got no thank you email, nor did it say anything letting me know it went through. It went right back to where it was originally, with my information on it. Do they send you a thank you email so you will know it went out? This bill needs to be changed. I was really ticked when I read what was proposed. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Is this the Part of the Proposed Bill that you are calling into Question?

Sec. 161.455. SHIPPING REQUIREMENTS. (a) A person who
mails or ships cigarettes or vapor products in connection with a
delivery sale order shall:

(1) include as part of the shipping documents a clear
and conspicuous statement: "CIGARETTES AND VAPOR PRODUCTS: TEXAS
LAW PROHIBITS SHIPPING TO INDIVIDUALS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE AND
REQUIRES THE PAYMENT OF ALL APPLICABLE TAXES";

(2) use a method of mailing or shipping that obligates
the delivery service to require:

(A) the purchaser placing the delivery sale
order, or an adult who is at least 18 years of age and who resides at
the purchaser's address, to sign to accept delivery of the shipping
container; and

(B) the person signing to accept delivery of the
shipping container to provide proof, in the form of a
government-issued identification bearing a photograph that the
person is:

(i) the addressee or an adult who is at
least 18 years of age and who resides at the purchaser's address;
and

(ii) at least 18 years of age if the person
appears to be younger than 27 years of age; and

(3) provide to the delivery service retained to make
the delivery evidence of full compliance with Section 161.457.

(b) A person taking a delivery sale order who delivers the
cigarettes or vapor products without using a third-party delivery
service shall comply with the requirements prescribed by this
subchapter that apply to a delivery service.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I copied and pasted this from a CASAA notification. They say multiple bills. The parts below, I found especially troubling.

Multiple bills have been introduced in Texas that would ban sales of vapor product to minors (which we support), but would also severely restrict internet sales (which we oppose). CASAA is currently focused on SB 97
, which received a hearing last week before the Senate Health & Human Services Committee. SB 97 would impose unnecessarily harsh restrictions on Internet sales, including requiring every single order to a Texas resident to be sent using an ID check service that costs $6.

Now on to SB97, one of a few bills out there for Texas...

84(R) SB 97 - Introduced version - Bill Text

<<<Sec. 161.0901>>>
They want to do all of these studies. How much is this going to cost the taxpayers of Texas?
Sec. 161.256
<<<JURISDICTION OF COURTS. A justice court or
municipal court may exercise jurisdiction over any matter in which
a court under this subchapter may:
(1) impose a requirement that a defendant attend a
vapor product and tobacco awareness program or perform vapor- and
tobacco-related community service; or
(2) order the suspension or denial of a driver's
license or permit.>>>

<<<SUBCHAPTER R. DELIVERY SALES OF CIGARETTES AND VAPOR PRODUCTS
SECTION 34. Section 161.451, Health and Safety Code, is
amended by amending Subdivisions (1) and (3) and adding Subdivision
(5) to read as follows:
(1) "Delivery sale" means a sale of cigarettes or
vapor products to a consumer in this state in which the purchaser
submits the order for the sale by means of a telephonic or other
method of voice transmission, by using the mails or any other
delivery service, or through the Internet or another on-line
service, or the cigarettes or vapor products are delivered by use of
the mails or another delivery service. A sale of cigarettes or
vapor products is a delivery sale regardless of whether the seller
is located within or without this state. A sale of cigarettes or
vapor products not for personal consumption to a person who is a
wholesale dealer or a retail dealer is not a delivery sale.
(3) "Shipping container" means a container in which
cigarettes or vapor products are shipped in connection with a
delivery sale.
(5) "Vapor product" has the meaning assigned by
Section 161.081.
SECTION 35. Section 161.452, Health and Safety Code, is
amended to read as follows:
Sec. 161.452. REQUIREMENTS FOR DELIVERY SALES. (a) A
person may not make a delivery sale of cigarettes or vapor products
to an individual who is under the age prescribed by Section 161.082.
(b) A person taking a delivery sale order shall comply with:
(1) the age verification requirements prescribed by
Section 161.453;
(2) the disclosure requirements prescribed by Section
161.454;
(3) the shipping requirements prescribed by Section
161.455;
(4) the registration and reporting requirements
prescribed by Section 161.456;
(5) the tax collection requirements prescribed by
Section 161.457, if applicable
; and
(6) each law of this state that generally applies to
sales of cigarettes or vapor products that occur entirely within
this state, if applicable, including a law:
(A) imposing a tax; or
(B) prescribing a permitting or tax-stamping
requirement.
>>>

SECTION 36. Section 161.453(a)
read that one, it would make purchasing more complicated, and time consuming for the seller, and the consumer...
<<<(B) a statement signed by the prospective
purchaser in writing
and under penalty of law:
(i) certifying the prospective purchaser's
address and date of birth;>>>

2)<<< makes a good faith effort to verify the
information contained in the certification provided by the
prospective purchaser under Subdivision (1)
against a commercially
available database or obtains a photocopy or other image of a
government-issued identification bearing a photograph of the
prospective purchaser and stating the date of birth or age
of the
prospective purchaser;
(3) sends to the prospective purchaser, by e-mail or
other means, a notice that complies with Section 161.454; and
(4) for an order made over the Internet or as a result
of an advertisement, receives payment for the delivery sale from
the prospective purchaser by a credit or debit card that has been
issued in the purchaser's name or by check.>>>
Can we say not only too much of a pain, this would be a hacker's target because
of all the personal info, possible photos, and SIGNATURE TOO? Are you kidding me?
This was made to be so tedious nobody would want to sell to Texans from out of state.

Sec. 161.455. SHIPPING REQUIREMENTS. Just read the whole thing. It is towards the bottom of the proposed bill.

Sec. 161.456. REGISTRATION AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS. Another got ya that will bite you in the rear on down the road. Why not say this information can, and will be used against you in the future. Wouldn't your health insurance company love this, and that is just ONE thought on it. This is also a breach of your privacy in my opinion.
<<<(b) Not later than the 10th day of each month, each person
who has made a delivery sale or shipped or delivered cigarettes or
vapor products in connection with a delivery sale during the
previous month shall file with the comptroller a memorandum or a
copy of the invoice that provides for each delivery sale:
(1) the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail
address of the individual to whom the delivery sale was made;
(2) the brand or brands of the cigarettes or vapor
products that were sold; and
(3) the quantity of cigarettes or vapor products that
were sold.

Last edited:

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Thank you anendeloflorien. :) I will try it again. I actually tried it 2-3 times yesterday. I never got an email reply, or successful submission notice. I had written some good comments too. Speaking of comments, I've placed some thoughts on post #4 here. This would be a freaking nightmare, if enacted. CASAA said multiple bills. This is just one. I am assuming they mean just for Texas. I am so aggravated, I am just completely disgusted right now.

UPDATE: I tried it again, and it works today. I didn't post the same personal comments, that I did yesterday. It was time consuming to come up with all of that. Next time I will copy and paste them somewhere, in case this happens again.

Last edited:

cathouse

Jan 21, 2015
small town, East Texas
Another East Texan popping in, mainly just to say THANK YOU for your efforts and activism. I learned a long time ago (well, since Ann Richards left) that our state government is bursting at the seams with pompous, blowhard idiots who are clueless about what "the people" of Texas are really like and what we really want. Unless you're spouting off about gun toting or bible thumping, Austin couldn't care less about us common folk who live in the real world. Oh man, I do wish y'all good luck and certainly hope CASAA and others manange to have an impact on the discussion. Thanks again!

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I am new to vaping, and to CASAA. That was my first alert from them for the state of Texas. Texas has always prided themselves on liberty, and what is right. The politicians always have to write in legal ease so the average Joe can't figure it out. Politicians never met a tax they didn't like. It will start with something that seems minor. Once they get their toe in the door, they up the anty. It is the proverbial frog in the cooking pot. If they put in that it is for the "children", they expect you to just bow to their wishes. There is already enough bs a mile deep for people to wade through now, every day of their lives. Instead of being wise with taxpayer money, they are going to pull more from us, one way or another. This is not Monopoly game money. Do we have enough laws on the books? How much will this enforcement cost us? Will it do any good? Will this violate the rights of law abiding citizens? We put people in office to be our voice, not our dictators. We don't need unelected bureaucrats either. People are fed up with the constant politically correct "nanny state" edicts from these people. I happen to like my House Representative. I don't think he will go for this, as written. But how many will? It is for the children you know. Don't you get that? Wait a minute. Did you read the fine print? You didn't? Well surprise!!!!!

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
UPDATE: I tried it again, and it works today. I didn't post the same personal comments, that I did yesterday. It was time consuming to come up with all of that. Next time I will copy and paste them somewhere, in case this happens again.

Just a quick tip - If you have a lot to write it's best to do it in a word doc or notepad first and then copy/paste it into the field with the prewritten letter. If you take too long the system will time out on you.

:)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa authored SB97. He is a Democrat from McAllen Texas. It is far worse than has been stated on this forum.The language of the bill states: As the popularity of these products continues to grow among adolescents,so do concerns regarding their potentially harmful effects. However, because these products are relatively new to the market,a comprehensive assessment of their health impact, especially their long term consequences, has yet to be developed." I have sent the recent Wall Street op=ed piece by Mike Siegel to Hinojosas" office. Every piece of science we have including the full copy of Burstyn report needs to flood his office. Please help with this.All accurate reports of teenage usage should also be sent.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Another East Texan popping in, mainly just to say THANK YOU for your efforts and activism. I learned a long time ago (well, since Ann Richards left) that our state government is bursting at the seams with pompous, blowhard idiots who are clueless about what "the people" of Texas are really like and what we really want. Unless you're spouting off about gun toting or bible thumping, Austin couldn't care less about us common folk who live in the real world. Oh man, I do wish y'all good luck and certainly hope CASAA and others manange to have an impact on the discussion. Thanks again!
CASAA needs you! CASAA consists of people just like you and we all work together to try and make an impact. Join CASAA and contact your legislators to express your opposition to this bill--except prohibition to minors!

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I guess not enough people complained. They are moving forward with this. Make your peace with it now. They must hear from you RIGHT NOW.

Send a Message

<<<(Update - 3/5/15) SB 97 was voted favorably out of the Health & Human Services Committee and has been placed on the intent calendar, meaning it could be considered by the full Senate at any time. We have updated the Call to Action to allow you to send a letter to your senator, so please participate even if you have already done so.

Please take action now to urge the Senate to amend this bill.

SB 97 would impose unnecessarily harsh restrictions on Internet sales, including requiring every single order to a Texas resident to be sent using an ID check service that costs $6.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email. >>>

https://legiscan.com/TX/research/SB97/2015
Session Title/Description Last Action
2015-2016
84th Legislature
(Introduced) Relating to regulation of the sale, distribution, possession, use, and advertising of e-cigarettes; creating offenses.
[SB97 2015 Detail][SB97 2015 Text][SB97 2015 Comments] 2015-03-04
Placed on intent calendar

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 05.04.15)

Neither SB 97 nor HB 170 have been favorably amended to protect online sales to adults between the ages of 18 - 21. In fact, the bills are now identical and are moving toward votes in their respective houses.

We are no longer negotiating for a reasonable bill; both of these bills need to be rejected.

Please take action NOW by sending a message to Texas Representatives and Senators urging them to oppose SB 97 and HB 170.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to full Call to Action: CASAA: Texas Call to Action: SB 97 should be amended to remove unnecessary hurdles to adult access to vapor products online

Reactions: kkay59

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I guess not enough people complained. They are moving forward with this. Make your peace with it now. They must hear from you RIGHT NOW.

Send a Message

<<<(Update - 3/5/15) SB 97 was voted favorably out of the Health & Human Services Committee and has been placed on the intent calendar, meaning it could be considered by the full Senate at any time. We have updated the Call to Action to allow you to send a letter to your senator, so please participate even if you have already done so.

Please take action now to urge the Senate to amend this bill.

SB 97 would impose unnecessarily harsh restrictions on Internet sales, including requiring every single order to a Texas resident to be sent using an ID check service that costs $6.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email. >>>

Legislative Research: TX SB97 | 2015-2016 | 84th Legislature | LegiScan
Session Title/Description Last Action
2015-2016
84th Legislature
(Introduced) Relating to regulation of the sale, distribution, possession, use, and advertising of e-cigarettes; creating offenses.
[SB97 2015 Detail][SB97 2015 Text][SB97 2015 Comments] 2015-03-04
Placed on intent calendar
Does it not bother you that so few are even posting on this forum? It is no wonder they are paying no attention to us. Where are the vendors in Texas? I hope they are playing a role behind the scenes.
It is interesting that the worst bills are authored by Democrats,but the Republicans are solidly backing them. The Chairwoman of the Public Health Committee is Myra Crownover,a Republican. Her husband died some time ago and she feels second hand smoke killed him. He was a vet(of large animals)I think. If that is the case,he would have worked outside a great deal of the time. She has been on this crusade for a long time and I do not think she will pay attention to us. In all probability the "Health" groups have probably massively campaigned for these bills. I know of nothing more that I can do. The author of the Senate Bill is from the Rio Grand Valley and he has gained a considerable amount of power. Hinojosa is a Democrat. I am saddened by the cave of most Republicans.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I sent my message - again!! - and called both my state senator and representative. Of course, I had to leave a message but at least I let them know how I feel about this nonsense.
Who is your Rep and Senator?.I might have faxed them today with much real scientific information(for whatever good that might do). Just curious

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Does it not bother you that so few are even posting on this forum? It is no wonder they are paying no attention to us. Where are the vendors in Texas? I hope they are playing a role behind the scenes.
Yes, it bothers me a great deal. You know when I first started vaping, I did not know that it was in the crosshairs like this. I was on ECF too for a little while, before I found out about it. I have been vaping now for 6 months. Since I found out, I have been very vocal about this with my politicians. I just cannot for the life of me figure out why people would let this slide. Maybe some are reading this, and just following through without saying anything. That is my hope.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
I am very disgusted with my legislators, as usual. I have sent emails, made phone calls and went thru the CASAA link. No acknowledgment what so ever, no even a robo-response that the messages arrived. We'll see how the vote goes I suppose, but my senator and my rep have both lost my vote at this point. Not that they care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread