Texas Doctor Warns Patients On Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post it 'Outside' as it really has nothing to do with ecigs.

Below is an email from Dr. Marcus Gitterle of New Braunfels, TX where he practices as an ER physician. Dr. Gitterle apparently sent this out to his own patients sometime yesterday morning. I doubt seriuosly it is hoax because this doctor is real. Let me Google him for you, Google results.

In any case he points out some imperative information that we need to know. As I'm writing this post his email is hitting the blogosphere hard and fast. I first heard about this email about an hour ago on the nationally syndicated Kidd Kraddick radio show out of Dallas, TX. Apparently they are taking it seriously. I wanted to share it here as well. Hopefully some of us will find this information helpful.

Here's the email:

-----------------------------------

After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County and Hays County, Heather suggested I send an update to my patients in the area, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is different from what you are hearing in the media. Some of you know some of this, but I will just list what facts I know.

- The virus is infectious for about 2 days prior to symptom onset

- Virus spreads more than 7 days after symptom onset (possibly as long as 9 days) (this is more unusual than ordinary flu)

- Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no "herd immunity," so the "attack rate" is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatic. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The "clinical attack rate" estimation from CDC and WHO may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this to those outside of the medical fields.

- The virulence (deadliness) of this virus is as bad here as in Mexico, and there are folks on ventilators here in the US, right now. This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old in Houston is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life. In Mexico, these folks might have died already, but here in the US, folks are getting Tamiflu or Relenza quickly, and we have ready access to ventilators. What this means is that within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed.

- Some of the kids with positive cases in Comal County have had more than 70 contacts before diagnosis as a minimum figure.

- There are 10-25 times more actual cases (not "possible" cases -- ACTUAL), than what is being reported in the media. The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each "confirmed" case right now.

- During the night, we crossed the threshold for the definition of a WHO, Phase 6 global pandemic. This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory.

- They are advising President Obama to declare an emergency sometime in the next 72-96 hours. This may not happen, but if it doesn't, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be canceled for 10 days minimum.

- I suggest all of us avoid public gatherings. Outdoor activities are not as likely to lead to infection. It is contained areas and close contact that are the biggest risk.

- I suggest all of us avoid public gatherings. Outdoor activities are not as likely to lead to infection. It is contained areas and close contact that are the biggest risk.

- Tamiflu is running out. There is a national stockpile, but it will have to be carefully managed for law enforcement and first responders as it is not enough to treat the likely number of infections when this is full-blown. I don't think there is a big supply of Relenza, but I do not know those numbers. If I had to choose, I would take Relenza, as I think it gets more drug to the affected tissue than Tamiflu.

- You should avoid going to the ER if you think you have been exposed or are symptomatic. ER's south of here are becoming overwhelmed today-- and I mean that -- already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.

- It appears that this flu produces a distinctive "hoarseness" in many victims. The symptoms, in general, match other flu's; namely, sore throat, body aches, headache, cough, and fever. What is not too common in regular flu cycles is vomiting and ........ which seems to be associated with this, further dehydrating victims. Some have all these symptoms, while others may have only one or two.

- N-Acetyl-Cysteine -- a nutritional supplement available at the health food store or Wimberley Pharmacy, has been shown to prevent or lessen the severity of influenza. I suggest 1200mg, twice a day for adults, and 600mg twice a day in kids over 12. It would be hard to get kids under 12 to take it, but you could try opening the capsules and putting it on yogurt. For 40 pounds and up, 300-600 mg twice a day, for less than 40 pounds, half that.

- Oscillococinum, a homeopathic remedy, has been vindicated as quite effective in a large clinical trial in Europe, with an H1N1 variant. You can buy this at Hill Country Natural Foods, or the Wimberley Pharmacy.

If any of my patients become ill, or suspect infection, call the office, do not come without calling and DO NOT go to the ER. If one member in a family is identified all would be given the Tamiflu or Relenza (that is normal course of action) if there is enough distributed to fill prescriptions. Public health stated that one family member identified or suspected to have contracted the flu it will require the whole family to be ‘quarantined’ in their own home until enough time has passed for the remaining household to have contracted it or be considered infection free ( 7 to 10 days per person). As another suggestion, if any member of the family is on routine medication- fill those prescriptions now. Have plenty fluids, Motrin, soups, etc available and make contingency plans in case your family is affected.

Dr. Marcus Gitterle
New Braunfels, TX

I think it's important that people get the information they need but not get in a panic.

This information is particulary interesting to me because my twin sister lives in New Braunfels, and she has been successfully fighting lung cancer, but her immune system is compromised because of the chemo. She emailed me Tues 04/28 to say that the schools in Comal County (New Braunfels) were closing as a precaution.

If you have a compromised immune system due to medical treatment, chronic illness, age or even just not eating right and being fatigued, please make sure you wash your hands regularly and ask those that come to your home to wash their hands as soon as they come in.

I don't post this to alarm but only to inform. It's possible that the media is being asked to tone down the rhetoric to prevent panic, and that's probably not a bad idea. But you do need to pay attention and take the same precautions you would take during the normal flu season.

Take care everyone!

Last edited:

Lika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas - USA
Plus the "standard" strain of flu kills 36,000 people per year in the USA. The Swine flu is a less virulent strain and yet we are closing entire schools when one child is suspected of having it..................talk about overreaction...........

You are absolutely correct in that we as a society do tend to overreact and even cause unnecessary panic with things like this. At the same time we must also take care not to undermine what the real threat is. The threat here is in the magnitude of infections because of low or no immunity to this flu strain.

Example of a possible overreaction: The Ft. Worth School District comprised of 80,000 students shut its doors today until May 11th. Originally they were to close only a few schools (about 7,000 students) but parents became concerned and they shut the whole district down.

I completely agree with what gep said. There is no need to panic, just take a few extra precautions so you don't get sick and spread it to others.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
You are absolutely correct in that we as a society do tend to overreact and even cause unnecessary panic with things like this. At the same time we must also take care not to undermine what the real threat is. The threat here is in the magnitude of infections because of low or no immunity to this flu strain.

Example of a possible overreaction: The Ft. Worth School District comprised of 80,000 students shut its doors today until May 11th. Originally they were to close only a few schools (about 7,000 students) but parents became concerned and they shut the whole district down.

I completely agree with what gep said. There is no need to panic, just take a few extra precautions so you don't get sick and spread it to others.

Agree!

Sounds like the whole scare with SARS and the Bird flu.. whats next? Goat flu?

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
Heard a fellow on the radio yesterday that was being interviewed. I cant remember his name, nor that of his company, but he has a company that does nothing but track infectious diseases. Essentially, he compared the current situation to the situation at the beginning of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. According to him, the 1918 pandemic was caused by the H1N1 swine flu infecting people and spreading through the population and then when our flu season came around it combined with the human H1N1 virus and became more virulent, which resulted in the 1918 pandemic. Long story short, from what he said it may not happen, but there is a possibility that we could end up seeing a repeat of the 1918 pandemic when flu season gets into full swing.

I would think that the area to watch right now is the southern hemisphere, for they should be entering their flu season. But, I dont know if the swine flu is spreading in the southern part of the world or not.

In case you are wondering, here is Dr. Gitterle's web site

He notes that there is an edited fraudulent copy of his email circulating.

That makes sense....it's like that old game of passing a word down and it ending up being something else by the end of the line.

I have heard the comparisons to the 1918 pandemic, specifically that back then they didn't take the first round of it all that seriously and that by regular flu season the flu came around with a vengence.

However, they did not have the knowledge regarding viral mutations, the anti-virals or the means to rapidly spread information about infection trends that are available today.

So if everyone just keeps their heads about them and doesn't panic perhaps it won't become a hysterical free-for-all.

Common sense: "If you have a compromised immune system due to medical treatment, chronic illness, age or even just not eating right and being fatigued, please make sure you wash your hands regularly and ask those that come to your home to wash their hands as soon as they come in." And if you're concerned, stay out of areas, venues that have high concentrations of people for the next couple of weeks.

I however am going to Atlanta May 16th come hell or high water to see Cinematic Titanic riff on "Danger on Tiki Island"( www.cinematictitanic.com) if it means putting a gloves and mask and spraying down my seat with lysol. :D

Salute! (can't put the accent on the final e...)

GEP

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Hopefully everyone understands the difference between pandemic and epidemic.

Pandemic means it is only spread over a wide area, not necessarily a large number of people. If the disease is present in 180 countries, even if only 1 person per country was infected, it could be called pandemic.

Epidemic means that a large number of people are infected. You can have an "epidemic" in a town of 2,000 people. But if the disease or virus was present only in that town, then it would not be pandemic.

Pandemic does not mean the disease is out of control, only that it is present over a wide geographic area.

I understand why we should be concerned about of education system in this country, if the supposedly "educated" people that run our school systems are bowing to pointless pressure and closing schools unnecessarily. The was an entire band concert canceled in a nearby town because one of the children "didn't feel well". That's it, no specific illness, just one child who didn't feel well................crikey:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
I think more people die from falling in the shower, than they die from swine-flu.

I think more people die from pig attacks, than from swine flu.

I think more people die from staying home from school, than from going to school and contracting swine flu.

I think teachers wanted a day off, so they called the news, and made a big deal over spilled-milk, to get a day off. It was nice out-side that day...

LOL.

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
41,059 killed yearly in automobile accidents. That is preventable and specific. (Some of those deaths were second hand smoke related.)

"Cigarette smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke killed about 443,000 people annually... over a five year period."

Smoking + not smoking = 443,000...

Not smoking = died from second hand smoke.

Not all second hand smoke is from cigarettes. Most is not from cigarettes. However, they left that part out, as it makes the reality look not as bad. Idiots measure blind-statistics. Politicians mix statistics of unrelated facts, for justification of spending more of our tax money, and to justify raising taxes. Amazingly, the money raised to fix things, always seems to make them worse. EG, the drug-war.

NOTE: Second hand smoke is NOT only from cigarettes, but also from fires that are completely unrelated to cigarettes. Also note, there is no data/proof that indicates these individuals may have died naturally, but were ALSO exposed to second-hand smoke. (Such as poor genetics, burning prior to asphyxiation, toxic inhalation death prior to asphyxiation, and multiple symptom deaths caused by other sources.) This resource also does not indicate that it took over 60 years of exposure for the accumulation of most death-related symptoms. Poor health-care, hygiene, and weak genetics due to sickness were also contributing factors, and may have been the primary contributor in these statistics. These "Deaths", also include abortions, and stillborns, which were not proven as the cause for death by smoke, but assumed by surveys asking if the ladies had smoked or been around smokers or had died in fires with child, while pregnant. Most second-hand smoke in homes comes from failing ventilation in homes which use oil/gas-powered devices and oil/gas-powered heaters, with failed smoke detectors. This also includes campers, and back-yard grillers, who also inhale second-hand smoke while wafting a fire. These statistics also include fire-fighters lost, which is greater than home-occupants lost due to second-hand smoke inhalation. (All smoke that is not intended to be inhaled directly, is second hand smoke. All smoke from fires is second-hand smoke, as it is not meant to be inhaled directly.)

Fire Deaths and Injuries, Facts - NCIPC
In 2006, fire departments responded to 412,500 home fires in the United States, which claimed the lives of 2,580 people (not including firefighters) and injured another 12,925, not including firefighters (Karter 2007).
Cooking is the primary cause of residential fires (Ahrens 2003).
Most victims of fires die from smoke or toxic gases and not from burns (Hall 2001).
Smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths (Ahrens 2003).

Groups at increased risk of fire-related injuries and deaths include:
Children 4 and under (CDC 1998);
Older Adults ages 65 and older (CDC 1998);
African Americans and Native Americans (CDC 1998);
The poorest Americans (Istre 2001);
Persons living in rural areas (Ahrens 2003);
Persons living in manufactured homes or substandard housing (Runyan 1992; Parker 1993).

Risk Factors:
Approximately half of home fire deaths occur in homes without smoke alarms (Ahrens 2004).
Most residential fires occur during the winter months (CDC 1998).
Alcohol use contributes to an estimated 40% of residential fire deaths (Smith 1999).

That is the, "Other side", of the story.

It is real difficult asking a dead person how they died, and only autopsies can reveal the truth. Autopsies are not done on every person who dies, and much is assumed as the cause of death. (Most doctors who break people, and are experimenting with new-medicine, are allowed to determine the cause of death. Rarely will you find a doctor who blames himself/herself, or the medicine they thought would work, but didn't. That would be malpractice, which they avoid by blaming the eminent death on the smoking. They wrote my grandfather off as dead, five years before he died. He was pumped full of unrelated medicines that he didn't need, because his insurance covered it. His death was not from smoking, though it would have been, if they didn't use him as a drug-sponge. Toxicology showed death by OD of multiple drugs, that were not even recommended for treatment of any of his symptoms.)

Swine flu... That is the last thing I would be afraid of... even if it was pandemic, truly pandemic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:
- Emergence of a disease new to a population.
- Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
- Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic, because the disease is not infectious or contagious.

LOL.

This is something to be afraid of... Thanks to doctors...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDR_TB
Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB)
and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-drug-resistant_tuberculosis
Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)

Coming soon to a town near you!

Last edited:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
That says... Smoking was not even a problem, until someone reported that it was a problem which might exist, then it spread to pandemic proportions, and now exists. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think the big difference is that smoking was always a problem. However, until we developed the scientific knowledge we did not know that is was a problem. It doesn't change the fact that it was causing damage, even if we did not have the scientific knowledge to document it. With the Swine Flu, we scientifically know that it is a less virulent form of the flu, and yet we have widespread panic........

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
I agree...

It is like scientific statistics...

Do we really have global warming from 60 years ago?

Or is our temperature testing equipment just more precise and better calibrated than it was 60 years ago?

Are medical reports from 60 years ago still valid? Genetics have changed, resistance has changed, exterior environment has changed, and testing standards and methods and equipment has changed... So have the politics behind the publications. Doctors now have to actually prove what they say, can only include facts, and can not mention hypothetical situations or assume things, like they could do 60 years ago. The tests also have to be repeatable by anyone, which many doctors and scientists seem to be having trouble with, using data provided from 60+ years ago.

Funny that an "e-mail virus", is spreading a "pandemic viral scare".

Next it will be an e-mail saying that... "All printer cartridges contain anthrax!" Which we will later find-out was a joke created by the manufactures of printer-cartridges, in hopes that we threw out the cartridges, just in case... thus, needing to buy a new "uninfected", replacement cartridge.

The only thing I can assure you is true in this world... is this statement... "Don't drink the water in mexico." You will be on the toilet for days, praying that you eventually stop needing to use it! Ice will be your friend... your intimate friend... for the following week.

In a world of lies, who needs the truth... Logical deduction tells you to reverse the lies, and you get the truth... It is more fun to not know, than it is to know, and spend forever worrying about the inevitable.

Facts show that NOTHING is preventable... You can only lower your odds, but the inevitable will still happen. Thus, there is no legal proof in the statement that... "Smoking is the number 1 cause of preventable death." Since there is nothing that is preventable, that is just a flat-out lie or perception, but it is not a fact, or true... though it may actually be true, if it were possible to do. That assumes that your life will be extended by stopping smoking, which may be a majority outcome, but smoking can prevent death too. Suicides increase in non-smokers, due to stress. Smokers have tolerances to certain toxins and poisons, which non-smokers do not have. (Um, specifically nicotine. 60mg may kill an non-smoker, but it may not kill a smoker. Noted by the high levels of nicotine in the field-workers, above the 60mg marks.)

It is all about perception, and politics, not reality and facts. Only the facts they want you to know, to achieve shaping the world in the way they want to remember it before they die.

You begin to die from the second you are born.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread