Covid Discussion Thread #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Haven't posted in a little while. I wanted to post the following, but it came to me in bits and pieces and just getting around to it now. All of it is certainly open to discussion.

It's basically all Covid related.

I would say foremost, that one silver lining is how Covid completely obliterated public panic over vaping. That panic came up every day in December 2019 (4 months ago). Now, it never comes up. I rejoice.

I think very early (like week 1) of news on Covid, I heard about how vaping does... something bad, with regards to virus. Didn't take them long to put that out there. I would admit that inhaling something into your lungs, while a lung respiratory virus is circulating, is at least questionable in terms of risk. That being said, I see it as last gasp, before the Covid tidal wave, to try and take vaping down a notch.

That quickly lead me to idea that public is going to be hard pressed to believe FDA and/or CDC Covid stuff when they just got done making huge blunder on vaping (nicotine) reports. I realize for general, non-vaping public, it'd slip by. But still that news was very fresh, like within 2 weeks of Covid. A whole lotta vapers for sure were going to be at least a little cautious when those two agencies weighed in on the virus.

Jumping ahead to recent news that states namely FDA, but also CDC have dropped the ball on quality testing being rolled out. So not directly vaping related. But FDA over zealous regulations are seen as culprit. Seems like if there's a new way of doing things going forward, that at least some people will be saying, yeah, we have to make the FDA less intrusive into innovations. That is if we value life more than senseless deaths.

Going back to before all this started. I had some sort of cold in December that lasted 2 weeks. I still vaped during it. It wasn't all that strong, but certainly hung on. I'm the guy who started a thread like 5 years ago titled Vaping cures the Flu. Which essentially was wondering how many vapers get fewer colds now as vapers than pre-vaping. Plus something else, but I'll get to that in a moment. I would say around 8 out of 10 responses on that thread said far fewer colds now than pre-vaping. Which is true for me. Used to be 3 a year, now it's one every 2 to 3 years. Which is what my cold in December was. Lasted long, but was mild.

Thing is, around mid February, I started feeling minor symptoms. And by late Feb. the news was saying what are Covid symptoms. Which were mostly ones I was experiencing. Yet very mildly. Fever was never above 99. My sneezing, dry cough, runny nose were all occasional. Initially, I thought it was remnants of the December cold. In past few weeks I've thought possibly seasonal allergies, but I've never had those.

To this moment, those minor symptoms persist. And they're still very mild. Which leads to the last point, and relates to that earlier thread I wrote. I continue to wonder if vaping reduces effects of a cold/virus. I think it does. Not 100%, but enough that it's hard for me to think otherwise. I write this post before it was easy to get tests for Covid. So, for all I know I'm infected and have mild symptoms, that I ought to recover from. Hopefully this year, lol. But I truly believe what keeps it mild is vaping.

I'm interested in what others think, or have experienced.

Reactions: stols001

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Without testing it's hard to tell. They say CV can run along at a mild level for a while then flare up suddenly. That seems to happen over a few days to a couple of weeks, you are at a couple of months so it doesn't seem very likely. Be careful though.

Trustworthy information is hard to come by. So many people have theories, and a lot of them are absolutely sure they are right.

I read a piece yesterday about why weed is really bad CV-wise. It was a sciencey article with doctors and researchers talking. They claimed smoking weed mimics some early symptoms of CV, especially if you only started smoking the stuff recently, so it's harder for doctors to diagnose CV. Also both weed and cigarettes make you more likely to catch CV, related to the effects of combustion. Weed is worse because it combusts at a far lower temperature than tobacco, meaning it only gets partially combusted and you are inhaling dry plant material. They claimed to have seen indications that lots of people are starting to smoke weed because of the stress of the lockdown.

Twice in the article they casually threw in vaping. Like, so for these reasons you should avoid weed, cigarettes, and vaping. Even though they never mentioned vaping in the body of the article and none of the factors they had been discussing applied to vaping.

I only mention this because it's a great example of how anyone with a keyboard can pose as a CV expert now. The truth is we know very little, so beware anyone who claims to know stuff.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I am looking fwd to the antibody test, that will let us know who had it and recovered. Plus how many were totally asymptotic.

I really wish antibody tests were available. The latest reports I've read tho say the ones developed so far have been wildly inaccurate.
I really wonder if that illness I had in mid February could have been cv19. It wasn't a typical cold or flu. The first confirmed cases here were at the end of February.

Reactions: stols001

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Around Christmas I had what my doctor called a upper respiratory infection which had all the same symptoms of Covid-19. It took all I could just to get out of bed and took 2 Z-packs, rest, and fluids before I felt like myself again. There is nobody in my circle that has been out of country however, my job takes me into different houses every day. One of these people might have been exposed to something; don't know. Looking forward to that test to show if I had this or if it was just a severe upper respiratory infection. BTW, I vaped very little during that time as my cough was so bad, didn't want anything to make me cough more.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I really wish antibody tests were available. The latest reports I've read tho say the ones developed so far have been wildly inaccurate.
I really wonder if that illness I had in mid February could have been cv19. It wasn't a typical cold or flu. The first confirmed cases here were at the end of February.

Latest I've heard about tests is that many (if not all) pharmacies in America will have both kinds of tests available. Very soon. I would think in April, but not sure.

I still think its relatively good news that FDA bloated regulations are why testing hasn't been rolled out sooner. Not good news from the myopic perspective that Covid is all that matters. But good news from perspective that now a whole other segment of the population fully realizes FDA can be a hindrance to saving lives, and is not the chief guardian of preventing senseless deaths, like so many believe (about the FDA).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The COVID-19 tests are "wildly inaccurate" per our "CDC liaison" (but I have heard it elsewhere) because "apparently" they can be POSTIVIE while you are infectious but not yet ill, or while you are ill, or afterward. So, per the CDC they are "kind of meaningless."

Even if you have TOTALLY had the correct symptoms and recovered in the past! :facepalm:

Because don't forget, it could have been SOME OTHER form of illness, even if you THINK it's COVID-19.

I don't know why anyone bothers.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread