TFA RY4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fccwpe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Rosamond, CA
Ok, my first time at DIY juice..... I have read that TFA RY4 is best between 10-15% subject to one's own tastes. I am hoping this is right. I am looking at a mix of about 13%. I used the calculator on the Ahlusions site and made the following recipe:

14ml 48mg nic in VG
28ml PG
1.5ml VG
6.5ml TFA RY4 flavor in PG.

According to the calculator I used this will give me about 13.5 mg nic RY4 juice at about 69/31 ratio PG/VG and 13% flavor.

Is 13% too much? Not enough? Are my calculations sound?

Another question if I decide to make a bunch of juice, say a few hundred ml's, can I mix in a used plastic water bottle and just shake it up? Do I need some real glass chemistry supplies?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

GrannyM

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Saginaw, MI
Your calculations are sound, but do you really want to mix 50 ml at your first attempt? :ohmy: What if you don't like it?

I'm sorry I can't help you with that particular flavor percentage, but if you mix a much smaller amount to begin with, it will be much easier to adjust the percentage to where YOU like it. Perhaps start at 10% & add if needed.

As for the plastic water bottle: probably not something I would use, but you would want to make sure it's clean & sterile if you decide to go that route.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I agree w/ the above poster. I wouldn't start off at 50ML for something you've never tried. I do tiny tiny trial samples before I make more. (5ML or less)
As for mixing, I just put the final mixture in a hot water bath to help the VG 'melt' a little. It helps the flavors/bases mix. Then I shake it.

fccwpe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Rosamond, CA
Sound advice!!!! Yes, I'll start with 10% and 5ml. That way I'll only be wasting about .50 if it is lousy tasting. I have some clean and empty 10ml bottles that I can use for this. And then I can bump up/down the flavor to my taste only "wasting" 5ml at a pop!

So my recipe would change to 1.4ml nic in PG, 1.5ml VG, 1.6ml PG and .5 ml flavor in PG for a rough 70/30 mix with 10% flavor at about 14mg nic just to keep things even.

I have tried RY4's from a number of different places and really like them all so I'm hoping that this will work out!

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:

tru2dgame

Feb 28, 2012
Virginia, USA
Well i have tried MANY RY4 type flavorings and I also think that TFA does the best job. If you really like it, you can buy TFA RY4 double next time which has a little more caramel note in it and may let you use less flavoring in the final mixture. A seldom revisited piece of wisdom is that the more flavoring you have the harder it will be on your hardware. That and the darker the flavor, the harder it is on your hardware. Always start small in your percentages and work your way up to where you like it....for instance my favorite vanilla type flavor is just simply coumarin pipe tobacco from flavor west. I use it at 12% no more no less. No sweetner needed. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread