No TH with DIY RY4 Double from TFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fccwpe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Rosamond, CA
So about three weeks ago I made a batch of RY4 Double (from TFA) using an approximate 70/30 PG/VG, 13% flavor and 12-13mg nic. I have used the hot water steeping for an hour per day the first week, then left the cap off the bottle for a week in a dark closet. Right now, the bottle is in my kitchen cupboard.

The juice is clear, the flavor is there, the vapor is there but there is no TH. Zero, nichts, nada, niente NO TH! I find this odd because I have 50/50 mixes that have a far greater TH than the 70/30 that I made.

Did I do something wrong? Should I add a bit more PG?

Calivapr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
USA
I mixed a number of iterations of RY4-D, experimenting with % Flavoring, PG/VG Ratio, Nic Levels and Steeping time.

For me, the Throat Hit (TH) is extremely mild, almost undetectable under 13mg/ml Nic, even if I change PG/VG Ratio. I only noticed TH at or above 14mg.

As to the amount of flavoring, I find that 8% flavoring is just tasteful enough for me. 13%, IMO, is quite high.

Last edited:

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Before steeping and after mixing, the flavor was overbearing and not what I would have expected from an RY4. There was no caramel taste just a pretty sharp woody/tobacco flavor (almost like Halo Torque56 only way sharper). And also no TH.

Now, as I stated, great flavor, great vapor but no TH.

Is it possible that your nicotine content is lower than you think?

fccwpe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Rosamond, CA
Thanks for all of the responses. About the nic.. I used 48mg and mixed it with the rest of the ingredients to make a 13mg. My calculations could have been wrong, but I triple checked them with 2 different juice calculators.

Anything is possible as this was my first try.

Don't get me wrong though, the flavor is really good. I am just not getting the throat hit that I thought I would at 70/30 and 13mg nic.

I have not tried flavorless. I guess that would be the next step. Thanks!

fccwpe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Rosamond, CA
Juice is still relatively clear. It started out very clear. Just in the last week or so it has gotten a bit more golden but not much of a color change at all.

I have attached a picture:

The RY4 is in the center, on the left is Halo Torque56, on the right is Halo Tribeca.
DSCF0245.jpg

Last edited:

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
I've bought premixed RY4 from Dekang/Hangsen only and I've d.i.y.'d RY4 using ECX "Hangsen Essence RY4", TFA "Double RY4" and "Asian RY4." I've noticed the lack of TH also, but it doesn't bother me because I don't vape RY4 "straight." I add it to other recipes. Even when I used to buy the premixed stuff I never liked it as a "stand-alone" flavor. It's always had a mild TH to me.

But I like the taste of it so I use it as an "additive" and still brew it up. The suggestion above about adding something other than nicotine or more RY4 might be a good idea, because it is possible to get TH from "TFA DRY4" at high percentages, but in my experience it's a "way too much flavor %" TH and not a "normal/good" TH.

From TFA I like the "DRY4" better than "Asian" so I have a 4oz bottle of it and in that bottle it looks a bit yellowish, but mixed at 5-10% with PG/VG/Nicotine the final recipe is totally clear/colorless.

Thanks,

Norman

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I made a batch (my first) a few days ago from a recipe I got here using all TFA and I agree, good flavor but there is not much of a TH. I've got some commercial tobacco coming to put in the next batch to see if that helps. If not, I may have to get some tobacco absolute and add a "drop".
Good luck and if you find anything that works to improve the TH, let us know.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I mixed a number of iterations of RY4-D, experimenting with % Flavoring, PG/VG Ratio, Nic Levels and Steeping time.

For me, the Throat Hit (TH) is extremely mild, almost undetectable under 13mg/ml Nic, even if I change PG/VG Ratio. I only noticed TH at or above 14mg.

As to the amount of flavoring, I find that 8% flavoring is just tasteful enough for me. 13%, IMO, is quite high.

This echos my experience as well except I like 10% flavor, but I think my taste buds are still burnt out a little. As a ry4, it's not my favorite but as a sort of pipe type that's in the ry4 camp, I love this stuff. 6mg, 10% flavor, a few drops of tfa brown sugar extra and 4 weeks steep time equals one good vape that won't take your throat out imo.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Juice is still relatively clear. It started out very clear. Just in the last week or so it has gotten a bit more golden but not much of a color change at all.

I have attached a picture:

The RY4 is in the center, on the left is Halo Torque56, on the right is Halo Tribeca.
View attachment 239238

I agree with others that think it should be darker. It's almost as if there isn't any nic in there to oxidize. Mine is at ~6mg and it's much darker. (Mine still doesn't have any th tho).

As was mentioned, you can add some pga or vodka for th, but when I do that it takes my throat out after several hours of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread