Tfv4 mini deck. better way to wick and coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothcannibal

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
denver colorado
I've had the tank for about 3 weeks. I bought the tank only for the deck anyways. The prebuilt coils just leak and get way too hot too quick.

I was using the prebuilt .8 ohm (reads .72 ohm) Clapton coil that came installed already on the deck. Works alright but I got sick of it spitting juice in my mouth.

Now I've got a 28 gauge twisted coil at .62 ohm that I do like a lot more (no spit back). but it seems to just want to scorch the cotton above about 23 watts if I drag it for more than a couple seconds. I like around 25-30 watts and taking longer drags around .6 ohms. Like the coil that came with the tank included with my mod kit. Kanger subox mini c. I can see in the coil that came with the kanger, it's a bigger diameter and more wraps than what's in the tfv4. I don't know what voodoo is going on the inside of the kanger coil. It's an ssocc coil that's in it. I know the deck isn't very big on tfv4 but I don't know what to do to get it to stop scorching above 23 watts. Thucker wire ends up with like 2 wraps and i dont know if that is enough to get a decent vape. If it's just how it is then that's ok. I'll look out for a new tank when it's time re up on juice.

It is just wicked with cheapo cotton balls. However it does better than the organic cotton strips that came with my tank. I've seen where the deck is wicked with the cotton to the bottom of the juice wells and where it is isn't. So I am a little unsure which or what is the best way to wick it?

I have been using the coil calculator online but being super green when it comes to coil building, a little confused and don't wanna order unnecessary wires and things.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To me, it sounds like a wicking issue. I tend not to wick to the very bottom of the tank, it's not necessary IMO (at least with setups that use that style, I don't have that deck). I have generally seen people prefer a dedicated RTA rather than an RTA deck for a drop-in coil tank, although the Kangerbox tends to be generally liked by its users, although I still find it harder to build on a deck not designed specifically for an RTA-- I tried it once and it didn't work out so well, with a Nautilus X.

With that said, you could try thinning your wick a bit more, while still leaving enough cotton in the coil. It's kind of counter-intuitive (to me) that less wick would be a more efficient wick, but it comes down to wick saturation, and if you over-wick, the wick may have trouble "keeping up" with the juice and remaining saturated, especially at higher wattages. You want the right amount of juice to be travelling up your wick to the coil, and if it gets unsaturated spots in the middle of the wick that is not in the coil, then that can cause that type of inconsistency and burning.

There are other factors though, as you are experiencing, so probably someone more familiar with that deck will be along with more information.

Anna

smoothcannibal

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
denver colorado
Ok cool. I need to clean my tank out later tonight and re wick it. I'll try using less.

The tank was on sale and with a coupon code it was only 9 bucks. So I snagged it. I figured if I break or ruin it since I'm new to building, I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

After I get off cigs , I was planning on getting a nicer rta or try an rda for a reward.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread