Thank Me Later =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
OK, stupid question... What department @ Home Depot can I find this in? The people who work there are pretty useless sometimes...:blink:

Plumbing supplies, close to where the O-rings are. It will be where you see all these copper\brass attachments and end connectors and they usually have one of each on display above where they are hanging. Mine was at the bottom of the display, there wasn't one on of these actually on display and it was in a small plastic bag. I would say the entire bag of contents was no bigger than my hand and it surprised me how small it was (TWSS).

If you need any other help just let me know :)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Agree but at least with this tool you have the ability of fine tuning a little better vs. when using a hammer and nail. Once it pierces the tube you have about 4 half turns vs. when using a hammer it's kinda tedious to just keep tapping to make the hole bigger and having to be careful not to go too far. But to each their own, I know those that use a hammer and nail and it's like 2nd nature to them. I am just glad there are becoming more options out there.

You're right. I see this tool as a good way to be more accurate and consistant with the hole size that you need, once you find the size hole that works best for you and your juice.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
If you need any other help just let me know :)

Maybe what the name of it is? I found this: Ice Maker Kit with Floor Adapter-K-1 at The Home Depot not sure if that valve is the same thing or not

**edit** yes it is, it's called a saddle valve, and here's the listings I've found

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 $6.36 at home depot

http://www.lowes.com/pd_17544-59288...rentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=saddle+valve&facetInfo= $4.47 at lowes (they had a larger selection of about 5 different ones online)

That's all I've found so far.

Last edited:

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Maybe what the name of it is? I found this: Ice Maker Kit with Floor Adapter-K-1 at The Home Depot not sure if that valve is the same thing or not

**edit** yes it is, it's called a saddle valve, and here's the listings I've found

1/4 in. Chrome-Plated Brass Self-Tapping Saddle Valve-A-50 at The Home Depot $6.36 at home depot

Shop EASTMAN Brass Icemaker Saddle Valve at Lowes.com $4.47 at lowes (they had a larger selection of about 5 different ones online)

That's all I've found so far.

Yeah, that's the one I got from Home Depot but price has $6.68 for that link...maybe if you searched your local one it is cheaper. It is mainly for tapping into an Ice Maker. The associate started asking me about my refrigerator, where it was, the size and I was like, "I am gonna to use this for something else" LOL

Wow, Lowe's had quite a selection, I only saw one at the Home Depot I went to. Not sure if this is important but noticed some of the ones at Lowe's had different sizes. The one I got was 1/4 inch so not sure if the larger ones affect performance.

Great find and additional information.

Now watch, there will be a vendor that sells these now for like $15 LOL

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Now watch, there will be a vendor that sells these now for like $15 LOL

That's giving them too much credit. They'll rename it the "cartomizer punch tool" and sell it for $29.95, or with a kit of 5 cartos and 2 syringes with a $5 pipe cutter...i meant tank cutter, for $59.95 You could even throw in a tank cutter insert (what people use sockets for, to keep the syringe from cracking when using the pipe cutter), which is just a wooden dowel cut to size, and add $6 for $65.95

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
That's giving them too much credit. They'll rename it the "cartomizer punch tool" and sell it for $29.95, or with a kit of 5 cartos and 2 syringes with a $5 pipe cutter...i meant tank cutter, for $59.95 You could even throw in a tank cutter insert (what people use sockets for, to keep the syringe from cracking when using the pipe cutter), which is just a wooden dowel cut to size, and add $6 for $65.95

Then when they come out and advertise, just link them to this thread....that would be funny.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011

Hey, this is sounding quite profitable, I think I'll get in on the ground floor. I'll give ya a break tho, 15% discount for the first 100 orders.:laugh:

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Can someone tell me how to use this one from Lowe's?

It should be the same exact way as in the video. You put the carto in (make sure the rubber end from the tool is installed), then close the ends with the long screws to a snug fit. Then just start to turn the valve handle until you hear a pop, then go as far as you want depending on the size of the hole. I put what my experience was with one from Home Depot earlier but it should be the same.

Keep in mind to make sure you have the carto or whatever you are punching in the right position for where you want the holes. I haven't tried the punched cartos in a tank so I do not know how the wicking is, etc.

Hope that helps...

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, just bought one of these gizzmos and don't think it's gonna hold up. The first hole went well, didn't hear a pop when it went thru, but turned it all the way down. Looking at the hole, looks pretty good, however the pin that punches the hole didn't fare too well. The point looks somewhat rounded. Tried a second hole and the pin kept slipping off to the side, but after fiddling with it, got the second hole punched. I doubt it will do too many more, the pin is just to soft. These are made to punch soft copper one time, so I don't think trying to do SS multiple times is gonna work. I measured the pin and it is 3/32", so I'm going to see if I can get that pin out and cut an old 3/32 drill bit to length and put that in and try it. This thing is a good idea and I'd like to make it work better.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, I may be reaching here, as I'm not sure how easy these are to find, but how about something like this? Tool - Extended Jaw Metal Punch 1.5mm

I think I'm gonna run by Hobby Lobby after work and check out their metal working section....

Link isn't working for me.
I cut, sharpened an old 3/32 drill bit and much better. Only thing is, couldn't get it secured firmly in the hole the old pin came out of, but it held good enough to do several holes. It will work loose eventually tho. Dang, if only I had a metal lathe.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Hmmm, I love the idea but that hole seems big!

I agree. These are made for punching metal, so they should hold up to it, whereas the things we're trying now aren't fairing so well it seems. But I think you can get different sized "bits", if you will, to make different sized holes.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
I agree. These are made for punching metal, so they should hold up to it, whereas the things we're trying now aren't fairing so well it seems. But I think you can get different sized "bits", if you will, to make different sized holes.

From what I'm seeing looking at these pliers, it might be kind of difficult punching a hole on a curved surface.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread