Minneapolis
Well,

I've just discovered that polyfill CAN actually work like a charm:

Easy to try.

This is exactly what I do!

There are essentially two methods of thought with all of the mods:
Wicking
Sealing

The starter carts all are filled most of the way with polyfill with the idea that it will soak up the juice, up to the atty. The problem is, unlike an oil lamp with a huge reservoir to use, there isnt enough juice in a cart to keep the poly fully saturated.

Just cutting the poly down to a small ball, just enough to seal the top, absolutely does the trick for me.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Blue foam plug with the vent straw mod. No leaks. Cut the blue foam larger than the cart opening and 1/8-1/4 deep - this acts as a 'spring mod' just from the pressure against the cart walls. The atomizer bridge determines how deep it will go and it won't fall to the bottom. The straw mod shaft is cut to 11/16 and cut diagonally top also to keep it off the bridge.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This sounds interesting Kent. Do you have any photographs?

I don't, but if you search the blue foam thread in the Cart mod forum, you'll see many examples of the 'plug' - basically it's only 1/8- 1/4 deep so the rest of the cart well is all juice. The plug just keeps it from leaking out and is the 'interface' with the bridge. There were other mods on that thread by placing a spring under the plug to keep it from falling down the well - a horizontal spring and an vertical spring. The people were using drinking straws as a 'scaffold', etc. but with the blue foam (I use marineland but their are others that would do the job) when cut oversize on both dimensions - when you squeeze it in, it itself 'acts' as a spring against the cart walls and the bridge determines it's depth once it makes contact. I've never had one fall down below that level.

Again, as mentioned in another post perhaps - the texture of the top of the foam is like it is 'singed' so there is no 'threads' there to get grabbed by any barbs in the metal mesh. I've never had that happen yet. But you have to make sure the 'top' of the foam is up. The underside can be 'fuzzy'. I pick off the whiter part of the marineland foam on the bottom.

The straw mod is the old straw mod:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

... and again, I use the J&J safety swab Qtip shaft - the coffee stirrers didn't work as well for me and anything larger can leak. I'm also vaping a thinned out VG so, ymmv on leaks - you might have to go a bit deeper but I really haven't heard anyone having that problem with the foam as long as it is cut oversized. I also take a diagonal cut on the top of th shaft as well to keep it off the bridge and always put it on the rounded edge of the cart well - furthest away from center. I tried just the plug and didn't get the wicking and filling I do with the straw mod. AND unlike some, I don't remove the plug to fill - and I think the straw mod is operative there as well.

oso

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I don't, but if you search the blue foam thread in the Cart mod forum, you'll see many examples of the 'plug' - basically it's only 1/8- 1/4 deep so the rest of the cart well is all juice. The plug just keeps it from leaking out and is the 'interface' with the bridge. There were other mods on that thread by placing a spring under the plug to keep it from falling down the well - a horizontal spring and an vertical spring. The people were using drinking straws as a 'scaffold', etc. but with the blue foam (I use marineland but their are others that would do the job) when cut oversize on both dimensions - when you squeeze it in, it itself 'acts' as a spring against the cart walls and the bridge determines it's depth once it makes contact. I've never had one fall down below that level.

Again, as mentioned in another post perhaps - the texture of the top of the foam is like it is 'singed' so there is no 'threads' there to get grabbed by any barbs in the metal mesh. I've never had that happen yet. But you have to make sure the 'top' of the foam is up. The underside can be 'fuzzy'. I pick off the whiter part of the marineland foam on the bottom.

The straw mod is the old straw mod:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

... and again, I use the J&J safety swab Qtip shaft - the coffee stirrers didn't work as well for me and anything larger can leak. I'm also vaping a thinned out VG so, ymmv on leaks - you might have to go a bit deeper but I really haven't heard anyone having that problem with the foam as long as it is cut oversized. I also take a diagonal cut on the top of th shaft as well to keep it off the bridge and always put it on the rounded edge of the cart well - furthest away from center. I tried just the plug and didn't get the wicking and filling I do with the straw mod. AND unlike some, I don't remove the plug to fill - and I think the straw mod is operative there as well.

Kent,
Just tried this mod. Excellent! Yeah, it's nice being able to refill without taking the stuffing out - excellent air flow - and every time I take off the cartridge to check it out, it's STILL wet.

Thanks so much for the link, man

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent,
Just tried this mod. Excellent! Yeah, it's nice being able to refill without taking the stuffing out - excellent air flow - and every time I take off the cartridge to check it out, it's STILL wet.

Thanks so much for the link, man

oso,

Glad you like it. I did post this is the huge 'blue foam' thread but it got lost in all the other ideas ;-) and it is a variation of some of those tried. And most there were still removing the plug for refill - I think the vent straw mod solves that. I, frankly, would have went back to polyfil/straw mod if I had to remove the plug on fillup.

I credit Winace for the proper dimensions to cut:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ated-v2-0-slug-search-over-30.html#post754273

... this precludes the need for any 'spring' - verticle or horizontal or any straw scaffold. I also think that Hellen's idea of using AquaClear foam, may be better - Hellen's knows of what she speaks - but I simply never made the effort to get it - probably because the bluefoam is working so well ;-) I've never had the bridge grab the foam but it appears that aquaclear foam may be even less grabbable. Don't know though, and don't know if I'd be able to refill through it. That's important to me.

On the bf thread the 'straw mod' got renamed - because they were using actual drinking straws a scoffolds... so hence the 'vent straw mod' referring to the original one that still works with polyfil (I don't think it works that well with PTB because a good PTB mod - the folded top one, doesn't have airflow problems... but it still takes up too much cart area whereas with this plug the cart well, other than the plug and vent straw, is all juice. Vape it a bit and then take a straight pin and remove the plug and you'll see - all juice ;-)

I don't think I mentioned this but I always 'tuck in' the foam at the sides of the straw to seal well. I do that with a toothpick or straight pin.

I await Scott's 'bottom feeder' which may end all cart mods for me... we'll see.

thunderoad02

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Maryland
well, i just got my 510 today, and i love it. So I cant really add anything to the filler. But I have had a Blu for about a month and for the most part only dripped which worked great.
So far with the 510 I have only dripped, and , it works great , but not lasting anywhere near as long as it would with my Blu. So far Im getting maybe 5-10 drags. Still playing with it. I find I dont have to take such long draws as I do with the blu, so this may also help extend the life of my drip.
The problem for me is that I like to mainly vape when driving as this was the mostly the only time I smoked analogs. And it is a pain when youre driving and have to drip so frequently.

But I have to agree, nothing beats dripping.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
well, i just got my 510 today, and i love it. So I cant really add anything to the filler. But I have had a Blu for about a month and for the most part only dripped which worked great.
So far with the 510 I have only dripped, and , it works great , but not lasting anywhere near as long as it would with my Blu. So far Im getting maybe 5-10 drags. Still playing with it. I find I dont have to take such long draws as I do with the blu, so this may also help extend the life of my drip.
The problem for me is that I like to mainly vape when driving as this was the mostly the only time I smoked analogs. And it is a pain when youre driving and have to drip so frequently.

But I have to agree, nothing beats dripping.

Yep... drinking, texting, dripping and driving don't mix ;-)

If you drive a lot consider using the filler and having some other carts to pop on - that's simple enough. Or get a 510 to carto adapter and use cartomizers. When in the car I have a Bartleby hooked up to the usb plug and a Tornado and I don't have long commutes. But if I'm going somewhere further I'll pop a cartomizer on the Bartleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread