Status
Not open for further replies.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hi friends I have a story, hopefully this can also help others who have or want the calabash atomizer. I usually use RBAS but I thought the calabash was pretty so I ordered one. The premade coil just didn't cut it for me so I decided to do a expirement. I had several old kanger coils from before I started building so I had a idea. I took apart the old kanger coil and rebuilt it into a micro coil. 6 wraps of 28 gauge, around my small screwdriver bit gave me a nice .7 sub ohm coil. I re wicked with cotton and went to see if it would fit into the calabash stem. It fit!!!!! I am now happily able to vape my calabash with more umph! I still have to keep the wattage fairly low at 15 watts but now this little atomizer rocks! Even at only 15 watts! It gives me good flavor and great vapor! And it's pretty too! So those who have or want the calabash, just know the kanger coils do fit and can be rebuilt to sub ohm if you wish! I was so excited about this I had to share with you all. I don't have very much "pretty" vape gear because I've always been more about functionality than looks but I'm happy to say now I have something pretty, and it's got the functionality that I like. I'm not much for premade coils as I always make my own but with some tweaking I have to say it's a darn good vape now! And it's pretty. The calabash I got is the crystal clear globes with the silver top and bottom cap and matching silver drip tip. For being all glass it's pretty strong. I do recommend one with some tweaking it can give a pretty darn good vape! Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone else. :D:vapor:

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Thanks for replying! I was so happy I just had to share! I wasn't sure if the kanger would fit into the glass stem but luckily they did!! Now I'm having fun with it just vaping away!! I thought this just might be helpful to someone else who had the calabash and wanted a bit of a better vape with it. Just know it can be done fairly easily. It's nice to not have to buy coils for it too. Just recoil what you have or a old kanger! Now I'm really liking my calabash. She has no problem with a sub ohm coil and can handle it well!!! :)

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Honestly, that is probably my most favorite thing about vaping.... the tinkering and playing with things to get what you want out of your devices... that's probably kept me off of cigs every bit as much as the actual vaping. I never had as much fun with cigarettes as I do with vape gear... and that includes when I was rolling my own smokes! Everything is just so easy to personalize that you can't help but to become an actual part of the experience instead of just using a device to get your fix...

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
The next real step that I'm plotting and planning like an evil genius at the moment is designing and making my own mechanical mod and rda... just need to get a milling machine first ;) LOL

That would be awsome!! I thought about making my own mod, just buying the chip set but I don't have a soldering gun and it's been awhile since I soldered any thing. I worked in dentistry for 30 years and did some soldering on braces wiring but that was ages ago. I am a little nervous about trying it again. Plus I'm not too sure I could correctly wire it. Maybe ?? That might be my next project! Just need to set my mind to it! Where there's a will, there is a way, right?? :)

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
That would be awsome!! I thought about making my own mod, just buying the chip set but I don't have a soldering gun and it's been awhile since I soldered any thing. I worked in dentistry for 30 years and did some soldering on braces wiring but that was ages ago. I am a little nervous about trying it again. Plus I'm not too sure I could correctly wire it. Maybe ?? That might be my next project! Just need to set my mind to it! Where there's a will, there is a way, right?? :)

Absolutely, you could do it! Pick up a soldering iron and stuff at RadioShack... I'd say get a breadboard and some random resistors and whatnot just to practice your soldering skills on... there's nothing to it, and you can find all of the wiring diagrams and stuff for whatever board you choose to use in your mod online... if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out with explanations and stuff.
I do electronics for a living, but for some reason, I'd much rather make a mechanical... I just have some strange affinity to working with tools and actually building something from nothing... well, that and it's easier to do with less that can go wrong... LOL

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Absolutely, you could do it! Pick up a soldering iron and stuff at RadioShack... I'd say get a breadboard and some random resistors and whatnot just to practice your soldering skills on... there's nothing to it, and you can find all of the wiring diagrams and stuff for whatever board you choose to use in your mod online... if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out with explanations and stuff.
I do electronics for a living, but for some reason, I'd much rather make a mechanical... I just have some strange affinity to working with tools and actually building something from nothing... well, that and it's easier to do with less that can go wrong... LOL

Thank you so much! When I get a bit ahead money wise I want to define try do this! I will be in touch with you because I know I will need some help. I have to get the money together but that sounds great!! Hopefully in the next few months!! Don't forget about me ok because I REALLY want to do this!! I've watched videos on the process but my major concern is the electrical. Since I have soldered before I can likely stumble through that but the electrical is where I will need the help!! Thank you so much!! Excited!!!!

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
No problem at all!! Just shoot me a PM when you get around to playing with it... we'll find the schematics and get it all worked out.
Some day I'll get over my aversion to box mods and may build a regulated mod... working through the process with you may just push me over the edge and into trying it myself... :)

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
No problem at all!! Just shoot me a PM when you get around to playing with it... we'll find the schematics and get it all worked out.
Some day I'll get over my aversion to box mods and may build a regulated mod... working through the process with you may just push me over the edge and into trying it myself... :)

You really should try it!! I'm wondering the total cost right now?? Including soldering gun, flux, ect?? We should try it together! ! Hope I can get the money soon!!! Sounds fun!!

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
What board/chip set are you thinking about using? I haven't looked into it, but I know there are several out there... depends on what kind of wattage you want to get out of it.
I'll start doing some research and see what kind of cost we're looking at... I'm sure, that like everything else, you can spend a buttload, but you can also do it pretty cheap... I'm thinking aim for pretty cheap, myself... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread