The Daily Advertiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letzin Hale

Moved On
Dec 28, 2008
Also, has this forum now become an open market where suppliers can pay their 40 bucks a month and then use it to advertise/market/promote all manner oproducts. I think it's time to separate the suppliers' forums from the members forum so that when I look through 'Today's Posts' I don't have to trawl through heaps of advertising rubbish, or is that the point of charging subscriptions to suppliers?
As for miracle cures, I once tried powdered Rhino horn but all that happened was that I spent two d[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]ays going round head-butting 4x4s!!:p
Alan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I think it's time to separate the suppliers' forums from the members forum so that when I look through 'Today's Posts' I don't have to trawl through heaps of advertising rubbish,
I have to agree... I always look at "Today's Posts" which used to be a lot less when I first came to the forum - and the forum seemed to be a fairly equal mix of UK and US users. Nowadays, "Today's Posts" are nearly 400 posts a day which takes ages just to skim through the topic titles - and about half of which are in the very many suppliers' forums, the majority of which are now in the US and are therefore of no interest to me.

As a result, I suspect I miss a lot of topics that I might otherwise have read as I'm in a rush to trawl through that lot. It's getting to a point where I don't have the time to go through 400 topic titles, let alone read the actual topics... which will mean that I might be forced into giving up trying to read the forum at all - which would be a great shame as some of the topics (when I find them) are indeed of great interest and use or help.

<shrug>

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I have to agree... I always look at "Today's Posts" which used to be a lot less when I first came to the forum - and the forum seemed to be a fairly equal mix of UK and US users. Nowadays, "Today's Posts" are nearly 400 posts a day which takes ages just to skim through the topic titles - and about half of which are in the very many suppliers' forums, the majority of which are now in the US and are therefore of no interest to me.

Before I was moderating, I would go to the main page http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ and scroll down. Beside each forum, there is a little letter looking thingy. If you double click on it, it will mark all the posts read in that forum.

After I eliminated all those I new I wouldn't be interested in (like various supplier subforums for example), then I would go to Quick Links, New Posts....and it would be several pages less since that link doesn't show the threads you've already read (or marked as read).

Just a little tip, if you're interested.

Lu

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
Before I was moderating, I would go to the main page http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ and scroll down. Beside each forum, there is a little letter looking thingy. If you double click on it, it will mark all the posts read in that forum.

After I eliminated all those I new I wouldn't be interested in (like various supplier subforums for example), then I would go to Quick Links, New Posts....and it would be several pages less since that link doesn't show the threads you've already read (or marked as read).

Lu

Very helpful tip, never thought of that...

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
That's what I do Lu. I wish there was a way to eliminate all supplier forums entirely from new post searches because even marking them read can take some effort.

Me too...because although it's better, it still takes some time. I mean, I personally don't need to see what 50suppliers have for sale everyday, as most here don't either.

But hey....I'm still trying to get my polls subforum and Mini Pipe subforum (like the other models have)....so stand in line :D

Oh, I just realized something else too. The New Info Posts does not have the suppliers in it....so that might be another option to check out.

Lu

Last edited:
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: spammer

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Ha, I'll do that :)

Do you know what the New Info search looks for? I've never understood what it covers.

I remember when SJ first mentioned it....something about it only containing posts that actually contain new information (so I guess that eliminated the newb posts, suppliers and things like jokes in the general discussion) but I really haven't looked at it enough to see which forums it actually covers. I think it only includes certain forums. I'll probably look at it more one of these days but meanwhile, if you figure it out, let us know...lol

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Ok, will do. I like the general discussions and social groups so if it excludes those I wouldn't like it.

I think it does....as it's designed to contain only new information about vaping (or something along that line). I suppose you could look at those then go look at the gen discussion and social groups if you wanted. Seems there's really no easy way to view just the forums we want without doing that right from the main page.

Too bad there wasn't a "pick your own forums" button we could just click on that lists only our personally picked groups. Now that would be nice! :D

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
A custom search facility would be fantastic, one click for a search of new posts in saved areas. Can you add that to your list of things to ask SmokeyJoe for please? ;) Never know, it might be possible.

Yeh, but only after my requested subforums....lol

That would be nice though too!

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
OK, with some research, I found the thread the OP was talking about. Yes, it was by Justpuffin and in his forum and was about an oxygen supplement he also sells. This has since been deleted by JP himself so I am editing the OP to take that part out of it. The rest will be left open for discussion.

No sense in hashing over stuff that has nothing to do with ecigs and no longer exists.

Lu

Last edited:

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
It would help a lot if you could go to a chosen subforum, and then choose to see all new posts in that subforum. That way you could work through whatever forums would be of interest to you. (So on the top-indexpage you would get ALL the new posts if you chose it there; and in subforums you would get only the new posts of that subforum).

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK

Lu
Sorry Lu, only just saw this! Great tip, thanks for reminding me as it was one I'd forgotten :) Thing is, there are SO many supplier forums now, that clicking the envelope next to each one takes almost as long as trying to skip through what are now nearly 500 new posts a day... If only there was also an option to mark the entire supplier parent forum as "read" (same as one can collapse and hide it by clicking on the little arrows), but there isn't... :(

I tried the "New info posts" too, and strangely it showed a slightly higher number of posts than "Today's Posts" even if supplier forums didn't show! :confused: BUT, aha! those posts go back days and days, not just the past 24 hrs or whatever, so "today's" posts are much less there, maybe 100 as opposed to 500. I think some forums other than supplier ones might be missing from "New info posts" but I'm not sure which as I really just skipped through it to have a quick peek. Either way, it reduces the amount of "today's" posts enormously!

Anyway, thanks for that tip as I thought the link to "New info posts" was for admin info posts... duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread