The Impact of Vaping on Individuals and Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Good stuff!
As above, very interesting dark and sinister reasons to discourage and fight against vaping with all of its health benefits. There's a sci-fi movie in there somewhere, depicting the total collapse of civilization as we know it, titled something like, "When The Smoking Stopped", set some 50 years or so in the future.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Good stuff! As above, very interesting dark and sinister reasons to discourage and fight against vaping with all of its health benefits. There's a sci-fi movie in there somewhere, depicting the total collapse of civilization as we know it, titled something like, "When The Smoking Stopped", set some 50 years or so in the future.
I think the movie you are thinking of will be out right on the heels of "We Are Vapers."

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
One of my favorite mental health breaks is writing a future history of "Electronic Cigarettes and the vaping Movement." Naturally, at that future date (ca. 2060), use of ecigs has been vindicated and their benefits to public health widely accepted.

Only trouble is that as current developments take place, I keep having to go back and revise the historical details! (I will give you a teaser, though: Stan Glantz is last heard from manning the fryolater at Burger King.)

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Good stuff!
As above, very interesting dark and sinister reasons to discourage and fight against vaping with all of its health benefits. There's a sci-fi movie in there somewhere, depicting the total collapse of civilization as we know it, titled something like, "When The Smoking Stopped", set some 50 years or so in the future.

How about "Silent Running" where the arcships are growing the last crop of tobacco?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i found this in the notes.

"[1] The CDC has recently hidden all health statistics related to smokeless tobacco consumption by avoiding the collection of this data, and by not publishing reports that specifically collected such data (the same being true of positive research on nicotine, which has been deliberately withdrawn from public view). This is believed to coincide with the lack of any demonstrable health impact from modern US ST products, which align more closely with Swedish Snus in their health risks rather than with historic products, and is unacceptable to their ideology and/or commercial aims. In addition they have deliberately misrepresented statistics on ecig use particularly with regard to youth use (or non-use). Thus, their statistical presentation in this area can be described as fraudulent."

now here is something one will see all over the national and local news,NOT.
regards
mike

krisjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2014
Maine
One day society will look back on smoking and it will seem barbaric, someone actually lit that on fire and sucked the smoke into thier lungs? It will seem crazy, smoking will go the way of the dinosaur, it will become extinct. There will be those that fight like crazy to keep it going, the big tobbaco, but it will die in my opinion.Vaping if one wants to look at it, can be seen as an mp3, once the mp3 came into being, it was only a matter of time until we saw the basic end of the music industry. It was inevitable. Is this a simple way of looking at a very complicated problem, yes it is, but in my opinion, vaping will become the norm, smoking will be sent into the shadows, a relic of a time long ago. The article was right, the effects on society will be seismic, they used the analogy of it being like when antibiotics were discovered, that is a good analogy, it will have that big an effect on society. We are in the beginning of a very big change, bigger then I think anyone knows.

Jeffk123

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Denton, Tx
One day society will look back on smoking and it will seem barbaric, someone actually lit that on fire and sucked the smoke into thier lungs? It will seem crazy, smoking will go the way of the dinosaur, it will become extinct. There will be those that fight like crazy to keep it going, the big tobbaco, but it will die in my opinion.Vaping if one wants to look at it, can be seen as an mp3, once the mp3 came into being, it was only a matter of time until we saw the basic end of the music industry. It was inevitable. Is this a simple way of looking at a very complicated problem, yes it is, but in my opinion, vaping will become the norm, smoking will be sent into the shadows, a relic of a time long ago. The article was right, the effects on society will be seismic, they used the analogy of it being like when antibiotics were discovered, that is a good analogy, it will have that big an effect on society. We are in the beginning of a very big change, bigger then I think anyone knows.

Like.my favorite you tube reviewer says "smoking is dead, vaping is the future, and the future is now!"

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

Unintended consequences perhaps. People will live longer, become more of a burden on society as they continue to exhaust food supplies and socialized benefits such as medicine, SS and elder care. E cigs could destroy the actuarial tables by having more people living longer and that's not what the anti-tobacco/nicotine movement is really about. It isn't about life extension, just money exchange.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Unintended consequences perhaps. People will live longer, become more of a burden on society as they continue to exhaust food supplies and socialized benefits such as medicine, SS and elder care. E cigs could destroy the actuarial tables by having more people living longer and that's not what the anti-tobacco/nicotine movement is really about. It isn't about life extension, just money exchange.

What the 'zero population crowd' doesn't understand is that two hands can feed more than one mouth, if their regulations didn't kill jobs. Food isn't a 'zero sum game'. Food can be created. There isn't just 'one pie'. People can create many pies. And benefits are only limited in a socialized economy. When you penalize (tax/regulate) people for creating benefits and reward (subsidize) others for only using them, you get less benefits.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Good find, AgentAnia!
That is a great summary indeed. :thumbs:

And as to governments recoiling in horror from the thought of people NOT dying those alleged 8 years earlier, well, those of us living in Europe are always amazed at hearing the government whining that "the pension coffers are empty" while dishing out taxpayers money left and right for all kinds of purposed like "saving banks" or "saving" another European country.

With the money, it is like with the food: there is more than enough - if it is not wasted and squandered, to serve the interests of a few, to the detriment of the many. And yes, I am old enough to remember the EU's "milk lakes" and "butter mountains" - purchased with taxpayers money to keep market prices high for those self same taxpayers. Most of this food was destroyed eventually. It was called the "common agricultural policy".

I fully agree with the closing statement:

What we do know is that we face 30 years of bitter strife as the new technology replaces the old, and the beneficiaries of the old system fight desperately for survival (as they always do - they have to). The key issue in this war is that those in power benefit hugely from smoking, and therefore the changeover will be a vicious and bloody war of the powerful versus the population.

And to those in the States: I have watched the travesty of the EU Tobacco Products Directive Which did no harm to tobacco - but a lot of harm to the e-cigarette which does not even contain tobacco. "Vicious and bloody war of the powerful versus the population" is precisely correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread