The Importance of E-liquid Flavours

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Basically, I have to mix my own liquids, since the professionally produced ones are too low in % dosage for me, so I know how it is to taste (next to) nothing in liquids. It's not the worst thing that could happen, but it is a real bummer nonetheless.

Anyways...
I don't see how they could effectively ban flavored e-liquids. After all, we're talking about VG,PG, and food flavors, ALL OF WHICH will still be widely available because each one of them has 1001 different uses apart from being combined as vape juice. You could produce vapable ejuice and label it as "flavored horse massage lotion". And it wouldn't even be a lie, since it really can (and is) used for such applications...

And if everything breaks down... what would effectively prevent a shop from having 1 corner, in which they sell 120ml bottles of flavorless liquid, and another corner, in the same store, where you can buy 10/20ml bottles of food flavors? It's basically an enforced "shake and vape" situation. It may cause a very small rise in production costs, and it would be a slight inconvenience for everyone involved, but that's really it... it will keep noone from vaping flavored liquids, except maybe the laziest of throwaway-pod-cartridge buyers.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,

I'm doing some research about e-liquid flavours, in particular, the importance of them. There's been a discussion to ban flavourings in e-liquid and I would like feedback from actual vapers about how important flavourings are in e-liquid.

Thanks!
Hi and Welcome,
You are in the right place.
ECF has ten years (+/-) of discussions you can explore about flavors and flavorings in both retail and "DIY" e liquids.
Conversely, what is/are your hypothesis/hypotheses?

Cheers
I

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Flavored liquids are what helped me quit smoking entirely. I started vaping with a couple tobacco flavored juices, menthols and non, different types of tobacco flavors, and they just weren't that great and I had to look around and explore the world of flavored eliquid (which was kind of exciting and interesting).
Number one, tobacco flavors really don't taste anything like tobacco, unless you like the taste of a cigarette left in a puddle and drained into a glass in your mouth. Number two, many many people get desensitized or burnt out on a single type of flavor, you can't taste it after a while and it is not satisfying. For a long time now I always keep one vape device with a dessert flavor (right now a dulce de leche) and another one with something like mango or strawberry to keep my tastebuds fresh.
The first liquid I came across that satisfied me as much as smoking was a chai tea latte flavor. I used that a lot (along with various other fruit and dessert flavors) but finding and trying new flavors kept me interested and made me want to continue what I was doing and not smoke tobacco. If all I could use were tobacco flavors I would, well I don't know, but I know I probably would have given up on vaping early on. I think I would have come back eventually, but that's hard to say.
I can buy flavored everything else from gum to booze to condoms, but there is a question that my vape may or may not be flavored? Your soda pop is flavored, but things like that are contributing to diabetes and other problems in youth. Can we make all beverages unflavored so we can get this epidemic under control? And all that sugary candy, way to appealing to youth, unflavored please.
Argh.

KLH13

Multiple ID Suspension
Aug 6, 2018
Darwen, England
Welcome to ECF. Why are you doing the research? Are you a smoker looking to quit? I will say since I don’t care for menthol or cig flavored juices I wouldn't have quit smoking without fruit or coffee flavors availability.

Hi,

I do vape but I'm also a freelancer trying to get a counter argument prepped in case it does arise in the media (which could be a possibility) to be honest I don't think flavouring in e-liquid would be an issue in the UK but it's best to be prepared!

KLH13

Multiple ID Suspension
Aug 6, 2018
Darwen, England
Hi and Welcome,
You are in the right place.
ECF has ten years (+/-) of discussions you can explore about flavors and flavorings in both retail and "DIY" e liquids.
Conversely, what is/are your hypothesis/hypotheses?

Cheers
I

Hi,

In the US there has been talk of banning flavours in e-liquids which could become a discussion point in the UK, I'm trying to get a counter argument prepped as to why this would be a mistake but I want real-life vapers to make it legit info!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,

In the US there has been talk of banning flavours in e-liquids which could become a discussion point in the UK, I'm trying to get a counter argument prepped as to why this would be a mistake but I want real-life vapers to make it legit info!
Almost every one of the 20 million posts (+/-) here at ECF are from real-life vapers.
IMO:
The ban on flavours is a smoke screen to protect the interests of BT/BP and by extension the obscene amount of money the State and Federal governments receive.

Have you attempted to solicit this information on any of the UK/EU based forums from folks living under TPD2?
AAEC/UKV/POTV, etc.

Best of luck
I

KLH13

Multiple ID Suspension
Aug 6, 2018
Darwen, England
Almost every one of the 20 million posts (+/-) here at ECF are from real-life vapers.
IMO:
The ban on flavours is a smoke screen to protect the interests of BT/BP and by extension the obscene amount of money the State and Federal governments receive.

Have you attempted to solicit this information on any of the UK/EU based forums from folks living under TPD2?
AAEC/UKV/POTV, etc.

Best of luck
I

Yes, I have I'm just looking for as many varied opinions as possible :)

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I will say since I don’t care for menthol or cig flavored juices. I wouldn't have quit smoking without fruit or coffee flavors availability.
If tobacco flavors were the only flavors available to me when I tried vaping, I probably would not have continued to vape instead of smoking. Tobacco flavors repulse me.

I was a menthol cigarette smoker. My first e-cig flavor was Ice Menthol, and I was able to put cigs down for good because that flavor was similar to the cigarette I smoked.

However, it didn't take long for me to try other flavors available besides just menthol, and I loved having that option. I rarely use menthol anymore. I've vaped coffee flavors, custard flavors, bakery flavors, and fruit flavors. I find it ironic that I smoked almost exclusively the same brand menthol cigarette for nearly 35 years, but now I vape a wide assortment of flavors in my e-cigarettes. Variety is the spice of life.

Smoking degrades our sense of taste, often resulting in Vapor's Tongue, although that is a misnomer for all intents and purposes. It probably should have been named Smoker's Tongue, since many new vapers have trouble tasting any e-cig flavors at all until their taste buds heal.

I've learned to switch flavors often to avoid "flavor oversaturation" or real vapor's tongue with my vapes.

My current flavors are Coffee Cake, Watermelon, Pineapple, Apple, and occassionally an old Coffee Milkshake flavor.

Last edited:

Bkroll5858

Oct 25, 2018
I've only been vaping for 2 weeks and have aquired 10 or so flavors.

Attachments

• 15404261000947619575521413606292.jpg
    15404261000947619575521413606292.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@KLH13,

Addressing flavors, used in potentially harmful products, is hypocritical (to me; at least)... if one is only going to focus on vaping/e-liquids. Why are most cold, and cough (liquid) medicines, most commonly found to be cherry, berry, and grape flavored? Are those "child-focused" flavors? Why is no one screaming about fruit flavored nicotine gum? And, let's not forget about the plethora of flavored vodkas, and rums that are now all the rage. How many of those are "outside" the palate of a minor. (And, lest one thinks this is something new; just think back to how long Root Beer, Peach, and Peppermint schnapps has been on the scene. Oh, and what about "fortified wines" like Boones Farms, and MD 20/20? I don't recall anyone being "concerned" about appealing to "childish" palates. Truth be told; they are already under the control of those who profit the most.)

Flavored cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobaccos, are under less scrutiny right now. I have no problem sharing the same sales restrictions they carry. In fact; I would applaud it.

And, since when; were candy, and fruit flavors, confined to children? Who hasn't had a Grandmother, or other loving elderly person, almost instantly offer a hard candy, or other sweet, during your lifetime? Do you think they only carry them to placate the young? They have no personal interest in them themselves?

Flavors are flavors; and we like what we like. Regardless of age. Period!

Flavors are a straw man argument.

Why is it, that I can now put down my (still nicotine-containing) vape... for hours at a time; and not feel anything even remotely resembling the withdrawal I felt when I couldn't have a cigarette for two hours?

Instead, ask any smoker (who started smoking before they were of legal age; or even after), why they started. It certainly wasn't because it "tasted good." It was to fit in. Look cool. Or, maybe, because of the euphoric "rush" (that was caused more by oxygen starvation, than nicotine "addiction").

Just because something "tastes good," doesn't mean all, most, or many, will seek to access it. I love lobster... but it is not in my budget. I don't steal it. I don't go looking for black market sources. I don't stand outside my local grocery store and ask others to buy it for me.

All of this baloney, about "flavored" e-liquids are targeting children, is plain old "hogwash." Kids vape, for the same reasons that kids smoke (coolness, conformity, rebellion, and to a lesser extent; chemical effect)(and, your own Royal Academy of Physicians suggests vaping is likely 90+% less harmful than smoking). The difference is; vaping only contains nicotine, and not all the other (much more addictive; and much more harmful) ingredients found in many of today's commercial tobacco offerings that are combusted.

Oh, and let's not forget, that the near-monopolies of tobacco-product producers, are not getting their (majority) profits. And, governments are not getting their "sin" taxes. This is where the "real" offense is being felt; and why vaping (as we currently know it) is such a threat.

More to your question:
Flavored e-liquids, helped me to forget about the discomfort quitting smoking made me feel. I could focus on the flavor; and not the misery my cigarette withdrawal was making me feel. Various flavors provided a means (for me) to reduce my focus, and therefore my dependence, on cigarettes. Maybe that is the threat governments, and big tobacco feels... ?

I don't think I can condense it any further than that.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I vape flavourless. Flavours are the least important aspect of vaping for me.
Did you always vape flavorless? I'm not knockin' it. I smoked something that tasted the same and like almost nothing to me for years :) (they didn't taste as good after the fsc though, am I right?). I didn't even know that was an option when I started vaping, but I'm kind of a flavor connoisseur in general, and probably would not have wanted unflavored juice. I love subtle, complex, interesting flavors. No, haha, I love all types of flavors, mainly desserts, but most with fruit.
Right now I'm vaping a mangosteen cream I made. I love that flavor, it's kind of unique and hard to describe. Someone else described it as a mix of strawberry and peach, but it's a lot more complicated than that, I get just a touch of something like mint and something more exotic, almost like I hate to say it but a sweet onion lol. Mangosteen is a relative of the durian fruit... Weird stuff. Love having it around.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Did you always vape flavorless? I'm not knockin' it. I smoked something that tasted the same and like almost nothing to me for years :) (they didn't taste as good after the fsc though, am I right?). I didn't even know that was an option when I started vaping, but I'm kind of a flavor connoisseur in general, and probably would not have wanted unflavored juice. I love subtle, complex, interesting flavors. No, haha, I love all types of flavors, mainly desserts, but most with fruit.
Right now I'm vaping a mangosteen cream I made. I love that flavor, it's kind of unique and hard to describe. Someone else described it as a mix of strawberry and peach, but it's a lot more complicated than that, I get just a touch of something like mint and something more exotic, almost like I hate to say it but a sweet onion lol. Mangosteen is a relative of the durian fruit... Weird stuff. Love having it around.
I started on a Heisenberg, a grape and a creamy strawberry.
I ran into a couple of problems. The first problem was I dont have a sweet tooth. I dont eat lollies, sweets or chocolate etc. I dont drink flavoured juices with added sugar or soft drinks. They arent flavours Im interested in trying to replicate or experience in a vape.
The pastries etc I tried were just a poor imitation of the pastries I like to eat. I love pastries, they about the only sweets that I like. I would rather eat them than vape a poor version of the taste.
The tobaccos I tried were just yuck.
I couldnt find any good savoury tasting vape juices.
The next problem was I developed a problem with pg after about 3-4months of taking up vaping. Kind of unfortunate and fortunate.
While searching the webs trying to find out what was going and how to deal with it I found a lot of people with a similar problem who just vaped vg/nic and DW.
Turns out its actually an agreeable taste for me and it ended a flavour preference search and I just concentrated on moving through quitting and looking for the perfect draw, watts, gear, rta's etc.
If I had a soft drink and lolly habit it might not have worked out so cool.
I do make a minty menthol juice for a break and a change every so often and have found store bought juices that contain no pg and occasionally buy some for a test but after using them for a few days I just want my unflavoured and to get on with things.
Im not sure what I mean by savoury tasting btw. A bbq steak flavour wouldnt be something I would be interested in and neither would a soup. :)

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
My 2ml's worth :w00t:

Flavours were key in getting me off the cigarettes, and now, nice flavours make vaping enjoyable, and keeps me off the cigs.

I was lucky that the first lot of e-juice I bought was quite good. Had the flavours been bad (or even no flavour), then I may not have stuck with vaping, and gone back to the cigs instead.

To me a good flavour = more enjoyment and fun from vaping = keeps me vaping = keeps me off the cigs.

[Edit] - but like Jebbn did, I'd rather vape just VG/nic than a flavour that doesn't taste good. I've had a few bad bottles, and to be honest, a bad flavour is worse than no flavour at all.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Flavors in tobacco cigarettes made them attractive. It's interesting to me that the FDA is fine with flavors in cigarettes, but wants to make vaping flavorless. Anyone remember Home Run and Picayune cigarettes? They were raw tobacco, strong throat hit with no perceptible additives or flavors. As a teen I liked Winston and Salem. Winston had a sweet underlying flavor and Salem menthol was good when you had a sore throat.

If the FDA wants to positively impact the health of children, maybe they'd be more effective by reducing sugar content of soft drinks and candy and other empty calorie food products.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I started on a Heisenberg, a grape and a creamy strawberry.
I ran into a couple of problems. The first problem was I dont have a sweet tooth. I dont eat lollies, sweets or chocolate etc. I dont drink flavoured juices with added sugar or soft drinks. They arent flavours Im interested in trying to replicate or experience in a vape.
The pastries etc I tried were just a poor imitation of the pastries I like to eat. I love pastries, they about the only sweets that I like. I would rather eat them than vape a poor version of the taste.
The tobaccos I tried were just yuck.
I couldnt find any good savoury tasting vape juices.
The next problem was I developed a problem with pg after about 3-4months of taking up vaping. Kind of unfortunate and fortunate.
While searching the webs trying to find out what was going and how to deal with it I found a lot of people with a similar problem who just vaped vg/nic and DW.
Turns out its actually an agreeable taste for me and it ended a flavour preference search and I just concentrated on moving through quitting and looking for the perfect draw, watts, gear, rta's etc.
If I had a soft drink and lolly habit it might not have worked out so cool.
I do make a minty menthol juice for a break and a change every so often and have found store bought juices that contain no pg and occasionally buy some for a test but after using them for a few days I just want my unflavoured and to get on with things.
Im not sure what I mean by savoury tasting btw. A bbq steak flavour wouldnt be something I would be interested in and neither would a soup. :)
That's good perspective. There are definitely many benefits of vaping unflavored.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread