Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
All I see these days are ads for 30 or 35 amp batteries. And I ask myself, does the average vaper need this much amperage?

Plugging these figures into an ohm law calculator, we find when vaping at 1.8 ohms on a freshly charged battery at 4.20 volts, the current draw is only around 2.33 amps and less than 10 watts of power. And this current requirement (when using a mech mod) will only go down as the battery drains.

Obviously sub ohm resistances will require more, but even a .22 ohm build at 4.20 volts is only around 21 amps.

Any thoughts on this? :p

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
popcorn.gif

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
All I see these days are ads for 30 or 35 amp batteries. And I ask myself, does the average vaper need this much amperage?

Plugging these figures into an ohm law calculator, we find when vaping at 1.8 ohms on a freshly charged battery at 4.20 volts, the current draw is only around 2.33 amps and less than 10 watts of power. And this current requirement (when using a mech mod) will only go down as the battery drains.

Obviously sub ohm resistances will require more, but even a .22 ohm build at 4.20 volts is only around 21 amps.

So you're saying the "myth" is you got the impression that a 30 amp battery somehow pumps out 30 amps into whatever load you put on it???

My understanding of a ampere rating is that would be the maximum amps on the battery; like if you short it out.

Jeffk123

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Denton, Tx
What I am saying is that @ 1.8 ohms, in a mech mod, with a fully charged battery at around 4.20 volts, we are only at the 2 amp level. Does such a vaper need a 28 amperage safety margin/buffer?

What happens when that 1.8ohm coil shorts out to a close to dead resistance and you have a shoddy battery? Boom...

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Also a dual coil or quad coil of the same ohms will pull more amps than a single coil. Not all ohms are equal.

If by this you mean that a single 2 ohm coil will not pull as much current as two 2 ohm coils in parallel (1ohm actual total) your first sentence is correct because the total ohms are different.

If you are saying that a single 2 ohm coil will not pull as much current as two 4 ohm coils in parallel (2 ohm actual total) then your first sentence is completely and utterly wrong.

The second sentence is wrong in either case, an ohm is an ohm otherwise Ohm's Law would be utterly useless.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

So you've got a truck to drive from one town to another town but to do that you got to cross bridges;
The truck is a 2 ton truck.
You find 3 possible routes
1: one has a bridge rated max 1 ton
2: another route has a bridge rated max 2 tons
3: the third route has a bridge rated max 3 tons.

Which bridge do you take?
Well if you take the 1 ton bridge you're probably gonna end up dead or in jail.
If you take the second bridge you're gonna be driving reeeeel slow over that bridge hoping to get accross in one piece.
Or you take the long way, go over the hill, takes twice as long, costs more in fuel, but you get over the big 3 ton bridge with no worries, no mishap, no lawsuit

Zamazam

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
Midwest USA
The 30 or 35 amp rating is for "pulse", or more aptly a short burst of power for a low Ohm rebuildable atomizer. My rule is simply not to exceed 75% of a batteries rated pulse ability. I seldom go below .4 in my RDA's, it's just too hot of a vape for me. A .25 Ohm build at 4 volts only uses 16 Amperes, Still in the safety zone for the battery. I've killed a Panasonic battery with a 10 Amp limit by building coils that consumed 9.5 Amps, it only took 5 uses and recharges before the battery wouldn't take a full charge, learned a lesson from that - I was really in the danger zone with that battery with the low Ohm builds I was using at the time.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What I am saying is that @ 1.8 ohms, in a mech mod, with a fully charged battery at around 4.20 volts, we are only at the 2 amp level. Does such a vaper need a 28 amperage safety margin/buffer?

In as much as I can appreciate the rhetorical nature of your question, it's the ones who can't/don't understand the point you are trying to make who need as much of a safety margin as we can talk them into. You know, people who can't wait for their mech to show up and start playing with a sub ohm build on an eGo battery, the ones who want to build by feel who don't own a meter, people who approach vaping bass ackwards - basing what they want on watching YouBoob videos before they have even picked up a PV... and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Lowry

Nov 13, 2013
Virginia
So you've got a truck to drive from one town to another town but to do that you got to cross bridges;
The truck is a 2 ton truck.
You find 3 possible routes
1: one has a bridge rated max 1 ton
2: another route has a bridge rated max 2 tons
3: the third route has a bridge rated max 3 tons.

Which bridge do you take?
Well if you take the 1 ton bridge you're probably gonna end up dead or in jail.
If you take the second bridge you're gonna be driving reeeeel slow over that bridge hoping to get accross in one piece.
Or you take the long way, go over the hill, takes twice as long, costs more in fuel, but you get over the big 3 ton bridge with no worries, no mishap, no lawsuit

Great example,
to the OP, it is just like everything in life, we want the BEST, so it is offered. Please correct my math, but a sub-ohm vaper going for the limits of a 30 amp battery is rare, an thus, I see a plateau effect on what we will need to satisfy our vaping needs based upon these laws, and practicality. Thus it is a safety net for the uneducated.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

Nope; if you're running standard 2 ohm 1.8 ohm etc coils, the 5 amp batteries can handle that; 10 amp better, and of course 20 or 30 amp batteries will run them without even breaking a sweat. Your 5amp battery will probably get warm if you chain vape.

Rule of thumb for me?
For 2 amps,
I'd want a 20 amp battery (10x 2)
but would settle for 10 (5x 2),
and be nervous about 5.

It's like driving your car down the freeway;
your car can go 100 mph, but everything shaking and rattleing and a bump in the road could give you a world of a problem;
so you cruise along at a comfortable speed like maybe 50mph; whatever feels comfortable; no loud noise; temperature gauge looks happy; no vibration; everything cool and feeling under control.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
The 30 or 35 amp rating is for "pulse", or more aptly a short burst of power for a low Ohm rebuildable atomizer. My rule is simply not to exceed 75% of a batteries rated pulse ability. I seldom go below .4 in my RDA's, it's just too hot of a vape for me. A .25 Ohm build at 4 volts only uses 16 Amperes, Still in the safety zone for the battery. I've killed a Panasonic battery with a 10 Amp limit by building coils that consumed 9.5 Amps, it only took 5 uses and recharges before the battery wouldn't take a full charge, learned a lesson from that - I was really in the danger zone with that battery with the low Ohm builds I was using at the time.

Like many other people that post here,
1: your numbers assume that the batteries you are using has 0 internal resistance.
2: ? you assume the ampere rating is the safety zone for the battery ?

A 0.25 ohm coil on a 4 volt 0.25 ohm battery will draw 8 amperes
A 0.25 ohm coil on a 4 volt 0.15 ohm battery will draw 10 amperes.
And that's all assuming your battery tube and connectors have no significant resistances ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread