Amp rating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
I just got my first mech yesterday (tobeco nemesis clone) and I am loving the sub-ohming so far. I have a battery that is confusing me a bit.

The battery is an Orbtronic 18650 2500mah H-IMR (button top) Battery. It says it is a 21 amp battery in the large lettering next to the mah rating and battery type, but under this in smaller text it says "31 Amp Pulse Current Max".

So my question is why does the battery have two separate amp ratings? Are there regulated devices that use pulse current and the 31 amp rating is for that or does the battery use a pulse current over 21 amps? Is it saying that on a mech it is rated for 21 amps? Do these types of batteries use a pulse current under any circumstances?

What's the deal?

My dual coil build is only at .56 ohms right now so I am not worried at the moment but when I go down to the range of about .2 ohms I need to know what these different ratings are...Thanks!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are two battery specifications for amperage. Continuous discharge rate is the spec most commonly used. In layman's terms, the pulse discharge rate is a secondary spec sometimes used but doesn't carry as much weight as continuous discharge rate. The pulse spec gives an indication of what the battery will put out in short bursts of several seconds in length, and the continuous spec is what the battery will put out in continuous output.

A 0.2 ohm coil will pull 21 amps from a battery. Since it's recommended to have some safe headroom available for safety reasons, you would be pushing the limits of this battery with that ohm resistance. You should use a battery which has a 30 amp continuous discharge rate if you wish to go that low.

Ohm's Law Calculator

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
There are two battery specifications for amperage. Continuous discharge rate is the spec most commonly used. In layman's terms, the pulse discharge rate is a secondary spec sometimes used but doesn't carry as much weight as continuous discharge rate. The pulse spec gives an indication of what the battery will put out in short bursts of several seconds in length, and the continuous spec is what the battery will put out in continuous output.

A 0.2 ohm coil will pull 21 amps from a battery. Since it's recommended to have some safe headroom available for safety reasons, you would be pushing the limits of this battery with that ohm resistance. You should use a battery which has a 30 amp continuous discharge rate if you wish to go that low.

Ohm's Law Calculator

Battery Basics for Mods

fantastic explanation as always. just for clarification...

will: according to specs

specs aren't always up to snuff and voltage drop due to internal resistance results in less amps applied than calculated.

suffice it to say, i completely agree with bad that those certainly are not the cells to use for a 0.2Ω build. 0.5Ω is likely pushing them as much as you'd want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread