Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Yesterday I figured out how to put a new carto into a tank without having to pour out the juice. I haven't heard of it before, so I'm claiming it! The Ocelot will go down in vaping history!

To use this method you have to have a "tank tool," like a SYM or a tool/drip tip combo.

1) Prime new carto, set it aside.

2) Place “tank tool” into the spent carto and push it about 1/3 of the way down into the tank.

3) Hold the bottom of the spent carto (so it doesn’t pull back up) and pull the tool off.

4) Put the tool into the new carto.

5) Turn the new carto upside down and push it into the tank until the tip goes into the old carto. Continue pushing until the spent
carto starts to be pushed out.

6) Turn the tank over so that the new carto is on the bottom and the spent one is coming out of the top.

7) Push the old one completely out and throw it away.

8) Pull out tank tool, wipe down tank and insert a drip tip.

9) Vape, vape, vape!

ETA: The first time I did this it was with a tank that was 2/3 full. The tank was a little wet on the top and bottom (like when you refill it), but I didn't lose any juice!

Blue_Caterpillar_Emoticon_by_IMCullen.gif

(Step-by-step pictures are below)

Last edited:

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
It took me a few reads to get this - the "upside downs" were confusing me (why won't the juice spill out? It appears I need visual aids.). I finally figured out that my tool is long enough to push to the bottom, stop leaks, and swap the cartos (I still don't trust is 100% and will syringe out remaining juice which isn't so handy "on the go"). Some of my tanks are not top-bottom swappable so I can't change the direction that the carto is pushed into the tank.

Excellent spill-free method for when the carto direction can be changed.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
It took me a few reads to get this - the "upside downs" were confusing me (why won't the juice spill out? It appears I need visual aids.). I finally figured out that my tool is long enough to push to the bottom, stop leaks, and swap the cartos (I still don't trust is 100% and will syringe out remaining juice which isn't so handy "on the go"). Some of my tanks are not top-bottom swappable so I can't change the direction that the carto is pushed into the tank.

Excellent spill-free method for when the carto direction can be changed.

Maybe I'll post pictures tomorrow, it's too dark to take any now. Unfortunately, you are correct that it only works with tanks that have interchangeable top and bottom caps. It also won't work with grommet tanks, if a SYM-type tool can't be used.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Okay, an object lesson:

This is the start. A tank with a dead carto, a SYM tank tool and a new, already primed carto. (The tank is sitting on a cone cover.)

carto1su.jpg

Remove the drip tip and insert the tank tool.

carto2i.jpg

Push the old carto down into the tank.

carto3c.jpg

Remove the tank tool from the old carto (I hold the bottom of the carto so it doesn't come back up when the tool is pulled out).

carto4.jpg

Put the tank tool on the new carto.

carto5.jpg

Push the new carto with the tank tool attached down into the old carto. [Note: there is less juice in the tank in the remaining images, because it fell on the floor while I was trying to balance the parts to photograph them. It didn't leak; the towel is dry.]

carto6.jpg

Flip everything over. When the new carto is pushed up into the tank, the old one comes out of the top.

carto7m.jpg

All done!

carto8.jpg

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Awesome idea! Wouldn't have thought about doing it with flanged! I don't own one of those tools, do you think using a plain DT or shorty would work?

Great that you placed it in Tutorials also, would've just got lost and forgotten. Maybe put it in your Signature also?

I think it would work with non-flanged cartos if the end caps or grommets didn't slide. I only have one tank I use regular (non-flanged) cartos in, but it has annoying silicone grommets that slide up and down, so neither a tank tool nor the Aussie guy's method will work.

The tank also has to have interchangeable top and bottom end caps. I have a couple of tanks that have a concave bottom end cap to fit the flange into and the method won't work with those since the carto can only slide in one direction.

I got my tank tool (called a "Slap Yo'Momma') from Big Daddy Vapor. I got stainless steel because I didn't want to worry about the juices I like ever damaging it. They were the only vendor that carried them in the beginning, but now many companies do. IBTanked and Valley View Vapes, for example, carry a tank tool/drip tip combo.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread