Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I think(?)(big question sound in vocal tone;)) this may be one of the casualties of the big system/server change that happened last(?) year.

@Fidola13, if you are referring to the links that are provided in the stickied Index of Recipes thread (found in the e-liquid Recipes sub-forum index); the URL paths has changed. I will use the first recipe as an example:
URL as listed & linked:
upload_2018-4-13_19-11-59.png

This is the path/URL where it now exists:
upload_2018-4-13_19-19-8.png

So, what I think(?) is basically happening is the link is sending you to an old address.:(

The work-around I found, is to do the following (at least until @classwife comes back with a better solution):
1.) Copy, or type just the thread name (thread name may, or may not contain the actual recipe name) into the ECF Search Bar:
upload_2018-4-13_19-25-15.png

(note: I include the separating "dashes;" though I don't know if it makes a difference.:confused:)

2.) So, the search bar will look like this:
upload_2018-4-13_19-34-13.png

3.) Click "Search.

Using this method; I have not (yet;)) had, the link I am looking for, be the very first entry of the search return:
upload_2018-4-13_19-47-6.png

One caveat regarding these linked recipes: the last update/inclusion (as best as I can tell) was way back in 2009. This means two things:
1.) It will(?) not include recipes added after the thread's last edit.
2.) Remember that vaping hardware was much different back in 2009. Recipes found in this index may (likely(?)) require adjustment for today's hardware.

I hope that helps some.:D

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
@IDJoel - you are amazing !
Yes, that works. I got a few edited and changed...my laptop is suddenly really dragging tho.
And...lol...I hit strawberry cheesecake, there are more than a few of those.
So...I will work on this as I can and get the links updated...except for the ones that have many options.

Gonna move this thread down to DIY E-Liquid Discussion as this isn't a recipe :)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
And...lol...I hit strawberry cheesecake, there are more than a few of those.
Strawberry Cheesecake
Man! Did that take a bit of creativity.

I did the same search as I described above. Saw the 5,400(+/-) results you were probably looking at. So I restricted the search (in the search results) to sort by date, AND restricted the search to only the E-Liquid Recipes sub-forum. It looked like this:
upload_2018-4-13_21-20-33.png

Then, I jumped to the end ("last"), and there it was... the very last one. (I was looking for posts that predated 2010-10-01) The URL inclusion of the post number "52838" confirmed I had the right one.:)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Post #4 is a duplicate of post #1.
but...there are 2 new ones added so I will remove the rest and fix those
Awesome job! By the time I replied to your previous post; you already had the entire thread finished. That was WAY above & beyond!!!:thumbs:

Thank you Classy!:D:wub:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Strawberry Cheesecake
Man! Did that take a bit of creativity.

I did the same search as I described above. Saw the 5,400(+/-) results you were probably looking at. So I restricted the search (in the search results) to sort by date, AND restricted the search to only the E-Liquid Recipes sub-forum. It looked like this:
View attachment 735943

Then, I jumped to the end ("last"), and there it was... the very last one. (I was looking for posts that predated 2010-10-01) The URL inclusion of the post number "52838" confirmed I had the right one.:)

I just scrolled until I found a post by Angus :lol:

Reactions: NatashaTMT

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Awesome job! By the time I replied to your previous post; you already had the entire thread finished. That was WAY above & beyond!!!:thumbs:

Thank you Classy!:D:wub:

My pleasure !
It's not too bad once you get a rhythm going.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I think(?)(big question sound in vocal tone;)) this may be one of the casualties of the big system/server change that happened last(?) year.

@Fidola13, if you are referring to the links that are provided in the stickied Index of Recipes thread (found in the E-Liquid Recipes sub-forum index); the URL paths has changed. I will use the first recipe as an example:
URL as listed & linked:
View attachment 735911

This is the path/URL where it now exists:
View attachment 735917

So, what I think(?) is basically happening is the link is sending you to an old address.:(

The work-around I found, is to do the following (at least until @classwife comes back with a better solution):
1.) Copy, or type just the thread name (thread name may, or may not contain the actual recipe name) into the ECF Search Bar:
View attachment 735923

(note: I include the separating "dashes;" though I don't know if it makes a difference.:confused:)

2.) So, the search bar will look like this:
View attachment 735933

3.) Click "Search.

Using this method; I have not (yet;)) had, the link I am looking for, be the very first entry of the search return:
View attachment 735937

One caveat regarding these linked recipes: the last update/inclusion (as best as I can tell) was way back in 2009. This means two things:
1.) It will(?) not include recipes added after the thread's last edit.
2.) Remember that vaping hardware was much different back in 2009. Recipes found in this index may (likely(?)) require adjustment for today's hardware.

I hope that helps some.:D

So no “newer” recipes are ever included in this Index? 2009 is light years ago.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
So no “newer” recipes are ever included in this Index? 2009 is light years ago.
That's the way it looks to me.:( It appears to have been a project that was undertaken by one ECF member; and later abandoned in December of 2009. Unfortunately, ECF does not offer any actual table of contents for recipes, beyond the E-Liquid Recipes sub-forum index of 77 pages. That is why they have the instructions under the forum title:
upload_2018-4-14_15-20-1.png

It would be nice if each thread title was more descriptive of what each recipe actually was (fruit, bakery, candy, cream, tobacco, etc.); but that is not the case.:(

If you are looking for something in particular; you can always use simple search terms (e.g. "strawberry," "cheesecake," "cookie," etc.). Be sure to leave the box labelled "Search this forum only" checked:
upload_2018-4-14_15-30-51.png

This will keep you from having to wade through all the non-recipe false-positives found elsewhere on ECF that might contain the same search words.

The challenge is to be specific enough to give you a manageable number of results, while not being too specific and missing a bunch of of potential results. A few tips I try to employ:
-- Don't capitalize. Using lower case character will return both upper and lower case results. Upper case searches return only upper case results.
-- Don't use ingredient manufacturer names or abbreviations (at least to start). Using searches for mfgs. can cause a lot of missed returns. There are so many different ways different people can and do use. Is it going to be TPA, TFA, Fa, tpa, tfa, (TFA), (TPA), (Fa), Flavor Apprentice, The Flavor Apprentice? Does it come before, or after, the flavor name? Is it used with, or without, a hyphen? You can see the possibilities are many.
-- if I do want a specific mfg.'s ingredient; try to use the complete correct name (still without a mfg. designator). Using something like "juicy peach," instead of just "peach," can help narrow down the results. If the results are still too many to wade through; I might repeat the search with something like "juicy peach tfa tpa" (using no parenthesizes) to try and maximize useful hits. (Not using parenthesizes, will return results; both with, and without, parenthesizes.)

• Informative
Reactions: NatashaTMT

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
IDJoel is on the right track.
Recipes got to be such a massive undertaking that the Index update was too much.
So - the Recipe sub-forum was created and all the previous recipe threads were moved there and the old Index stickied there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread