The state of subohm tanks as of the end of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
So this is where I am and coming from:

Got my first subohm tank last Dec. The Kanger Subtank like many others. Since then I've bought several hundred dollars worth of new tanks as they hit and another several hundred in replacement heads. There's a ton of threads out there touting how great subohm tanks are but few listing the drawbacks per tank that start to stand out after really embracing this style of vaping and having it be your "all day vape" for 6 months. Before anyone gets upset you should understand I like these devices but still want more. I'm a heavy vaper so many who read this will never encounter my problems.

1st issue: WICKING!

Every single tank/head combination I've used starts relatively great. You're getting RDA level flavor and vapor without having to drip. This is amazing if you've been dripping for a year! That's a huge inconvenience in your life that's simply gone. Then 5-7 days in the wicking issues start up where I have to plug the airholes with my fingers and blow air into the tank to relieve the vacuum then suck to pull juice into the head. I've yet to have a head last the claimed "month" without 3 weeks of that month being me getting dry hits if I forget to prime the head every few puffs. I don't even push the heads to their limits as I don't like a hot or even very warm vape.

Solution? Change heads often or change your habits to "priming" instead of dripping to stretch out that head's life. This leads me to...

2nd issue: Replacement coil availability

With how fast these new tanks have flooded the market then revised over and again the manufacturers only seem to focus on the tanks themselves and not making the freaking heads available for a decent price or quantity. This is where the "wait and see" mentality people are winning big. I may always be the first in my circle to have the latest hardware but that also means I have a TON of retired hardware that I spent good money on and only a handful of coils on hand for that new hotness. This is where an RBA deck should be in your tank purchase.

Solution? If you're going to release the latest and greatest hardware make sure ALL of it is available. The razorblade style profit margins don't work when you don't have razorblades available. You're going to be undercut by whatever the new hotness is if your coils can't beat it to market. Make a competant RBA available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to the extended view of the tanks I've put through their paces, leaving out ones I've (obviously) never used or the ones I wouldn't recommend. Any of these give a solid vape experience but all require some level of fiddling. In order I'd recommend:

Kanger Subtank Nano, Mini, Mini V2, Plus

We all have one. Heads are everywhere and cheap. I place this at the top since the new vertical coil brought this tank back to life for me and the new RBA head put it as my No. 1 all day vape. The new Subox kits I got look sexy as hell, are compact, powerful, and the easiest battery change of my many mods. The only big issue I had before was vapor production vs higher end tanks but now the new vertical coils come much closer at near half the price. I loved my Plus's capacity and the Nano's svelt size but they don't look as sleek as the Vader Subox or the wife's Stormtrooper. You can get higher performing tanks than these but price and availability of those heads knock them off the top spot. Average head life without priming: 1 week but 1st horizontal coils can be rewicked easily. RBA deck!

Freemax Starre, Vapeston Maganus, High Voltage

These are the performers. Simply the best vapor production to date. You're NOT going to hit that 100-150 watt claim though so don't even attempt. (Mine produced the worst coughing fit I've experienced in my life) The Starre is the star here (sorry :p) as the Mag is pointless as it's a twin to the Starre with heads costing more and harder to find and the HV is even more rare. The Starre is rapidly gaining popularity but even at the lowest prices I've found online you're going to pony up an extra $5/box vs Kanger heads, even wider margins if you count cloned Kanger heads. Heads have a mean break in though so don't get down on it when it tastes like burnt rubber! Ramp up the wattage when you're breaking them in. I frown especially on the Maganus heads as they shouldn't claim 150 watts when it's not even remotely possible to maintain 100 watts. False advertising? Classic shame. These all can maintain 70 watts for several days but shine around 45-55 watts. Average head life without priming: 1 week+ but the shape of the air holes make it a pita to prime with my plug-blow-suck method where the Subtanks and Arctic I can do without looking. Biggest con: No RBA deck so you're buying every overpriced coil.

Horizon Arctic

This one kinda changed the game when it came out of nowhere. I've a love/hate relationship with this tank. It was the first widely available high performance tank but slightly short of the Starre. My biggest problem is design. The tank glass is recessed in it's SS casing so I've cut my fingers many times now trying to open the damn thing cause it tends to seize up when it gets hot. You're going to be opening it a LOT as it's capacity is comically small and filling is a pita with the tiny slots you get. You can't grip it by the air ring as it just spins. To avoid cuts slide a mini screwdriver into the airholes to stabilize the base or simply get a better designed tank. Performance is great but shoddy design and build quality put this in a distant 3rd to the other classes of tanks. On the plus there's little to no break in on the heads. They perform great within minutes. Heads have good availability and price. This tank badly needs a V2 with increased capacity, flush tank, and locking AFC ring. This would easily put this tank in the top spot! There's an extend capacity clone "V2" on FastTech I've been eyeing that would solve the capacity at least. The authentic V2 Arctic just has the pointless silly airholes in the tip ala Atlantis V2. Why go for Aspire's marketing gimmick without actually improving capacity that EVERYONE has complained about? Average head life without priming: 1 week but that AFC ring is stupid easy to spin to prime to extend that to 2 weeks. (too easy? It's going to spin in your pocket all the time) No RBA deck here either.

Aspire Atlantis

Was never impressed. Lost (barely) to the Subtank in the first war for flavor while it gave better airflow. Looks silly in the current gen with air holes in the tip. Hey Aspire, I'm fully capable of parting my lips slightly to bring extra airflow around the tip and then I'd be fully capable of changing the drip tip to something I want aside from your proprietary one that's comically huge. Vapers aren't stupid enough to think that huge tip=huge airflow when your coils are still narrow. Honestly I haven't purchased the V2 as I saw zero improvement over the first's design aside from a lower resistance head's availability. Experienced vapers in general are rather educated and don't fall for marketing gimmicks like OMGAIRHOLESINTHETIP!1! This feels aimed at newbie vapers that think airflow is king not understanding that more air is completely useless when it doesn't pass THROUGH the coil and actually hurts flavor production badly. Now that that rant is over with, the Atlantis V1 is a solid tank. If you already have one you're not SOL as it doesn't fall THAT far behind the others in performance and flavor. I just wouldn't recommend them as a new purchase. Heads are widely available for good prices. Still no RBA though. Average head life without priming: 1 week+ but I haven't gone through as many Atlantis heads as the others as I've ended up using this the least.

Next up for me is the Sigelei Elite tank. It can be had for Smok VCT prices and seems to have Kanger level build quality. I've got it sitting as I've only purchased Ni200 coils to go in my new Sigelei75 when it shows up so sorry for lack of information on that yet. Honorable mention to the VCT. It's build quality is what's expected of what it is, and that's a Subtank clone. Performance is akin to the first gen Subtank but you can't ignore the price. I just don't look at prices on the tanks as closely as coil prices as obviously that's going to be your long run investment. We've had one bouncing around and it's decent but nothing ahead of all the me too tanks you see popping up everywhere.

My quest? Performance of the Starre, Kanger build quality, $2 heads that actually last 10 days and can be found relatively easily. Am I asking too much? Then drop the Starre head prices by half so I'm not inclined to try and make them last as long as possible when they're $4 a pop. At least Kanger and Joye give you the cheapskate option to rebuild with RBA decks. (Subtank's included, Joye's is extra) Right now the Subtank V2 is the closest to that perfect tank so it's my recommended buy.

Last edited:

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
Mostly agree - My 2 cents added to your in depth portion. Everything below is based on .25 ohm to .5 and using Cleoromizer with pre-made coils.

Kanger Subtank Nano, Mini, Mini V2, Plus - Only used plus a Nano, my Nano never leaks but the Plus leaks frequently (I have 5 of each of them). I will not trust the plus's on their side, Nano no leaks no problem. Also the Nano for whatever reason has better flavor than the Plus (which has pretty darn good flavor) and I have done a ton of testing of this with second opinions agreeing on some apples to apples testing. The OG coils were good, the new coils a huge improvement. All OCC coils last a long long time.

Vapeston Maganus: (same as Starre V2): Have it, love it probably my go to device and I just use Starre coils which are 5 for $11.50 from Fasstech. You can pick this tank up on Ebay for $23 on the regular. I have tested to 110 watts, 60-70 is my sweet spot and as the coils age dry hits if you don't drop it to 40-50 watts. I never let one go till "death". Best air flow of all the tanks I have tried. Very good high wattage choice if you have the power.

Horizon Arctic: Better flavor than Starre, power situation about the same. Agree that filling is challenging. A good tank but the competition got so heavy so quick. It set a standard though for sure. Coils are reasonable price.

Atlantis 2, Herakles, New Subtank Mini Black - I chose not to open these due to me being over saturated in tanks right now.

Uwell Crown: Power hungry on .25 coils, have tested to 120 watts on an entire tank with no dry hits. Flavor best of all mentioned above at the 60-90 watt range. Top fill is very cool *BUT* coils right now are way too expensive.

Really looking forward to Starre Pro: Won't be as power hungry as the Crown and top fill will be nice. I don't suspect flavor will be better if it uses the same coil as now, but a new non TC coil may come along.

I do agree....If I lived in a 35-50 watt world I do believe the Kanger Subtank Plus V2 with new coils would get me by just fine even with some occasional leaking. I just wish I had not already read about leaking on the new "Subtank/Subox Mini". Uggh, had hoped they fixed it.

Your write up was nice! Good reading.

Last edited:

Fit_Four_Life

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2015
I've only been vaping for 5 weeks. I started with an istick 20w that came with the GS air tank. I knew right away I needed something more/better but at least for the moment that $12 a day nasty habit was OVER. I spent a lot of time researching online and visiting most of my local vape stores.

I came to the conclusion quickly that tanks with an RBA decks are going to be the best bang for the buck. The Kanger subtank mini seemed like a no-brainer so I went that route and couldn't be happier. I now have 2 subtank minis with 4 RBA decks and have a UD Goblin V2 on the way.

The way I see it, I doubt I'll ever buy a tank that doesn't have an RBA deck so I can build my own coils for less than $0.30 a pop.

I've already compiled a list of tank that support RBA decks that have decent capacity of @ 4mL or greater and I'll probably try a few of them over time.

BTW, I lay both my subtanks on their side horizontally all the time and neither leak with either the stock atomizers or the RBA decks in them.

Looking forward to reading more post on this subject.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
I've also had zero issues with 5 different Subtanks now but I have heard of others having leaking issues. The person I've personally known that had an issue simply changed the orings to the other set that came with his Mini and the problem disappeared. Maybe it's my max VG juice I make that helps. It did leak once when I left it on it's side in my truck in the sun in the desert where I work but I don't blame the tank for that. :p

I honestly thought the first response would be a flame for not preferring the beloved Atlantis. It just wasn't my thing.

I don't really consider coils on Fasttech's site in my comparison as 1. They're notorious for keeping stock updated and, 2. 10-20 day turn around times are too long for coils. Finally, 3. They just recently even became available through FT after months of the tank being out. I bought some now, sure, but I got them from US based shops for the last several months for $18-20/box. The Starre has been my no. 1 vape since I got it. It only recently traded with the Subtank to backup duties when the new Subox arrived.Counting the couple duds I've gotten I'm now on my 5th box and waiting for the FT order to arrive. That's $100+ in coils alone. I've spent 1/2 that much on Kanger heads in twice the time for two people, but of course I've gotten 10 heads alone in the 5 tanks I've gotten and the wife uses hers at lower wattages so she usually sees 2+ weeks from a head. I've also recently noticed the Starre spits more juice in my mouth than the ST but it's negligible.

Damn you SD3614 now I have to order a Crown to sit on the Sig150. If it can compete with my clapton coils on absorbing power it's worth having at least for desk duties. Maybe it's having crazy builds that can blow your head off at home that make me accept only 50 watts throughout the day.

Good additions to the wall of text for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: sd3614

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
There was never going to be any flaming, I didn't post to start one anyway, they were just bold statements and I was going to leave it at that but seeing how you have mentioned it.....I have no love for the Atlantis V1 or V2, over rated tanks.
I guess the only thing I would disagree with is the Starre coils, the first one lasted me 25 days and my second is going strong, in my opinion they are the best pre built coils on the market and saying they last a week + at best is wrong from my experience. Isle of Custard juice which I use is a very subtle flavour and I would be able to tell straight away if the flavour was off too, the flavour of these coils are the closest thing to dripping I have used, there is certainly no bitter or burnt rubber taste on mine. They are also super easy to prime and give me no dry hits or flooding or any kind of problems at all. You never mention what ohm coil you are using either, the 0.25ohm shines best at 60 - 70w.
Kanger tanks are great, shame about their coils. Dry hits, flooding, reduced flavour, all my subtank mini's sit gathering dust now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zod

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
Oh you can get 2-3 weeks from a starre head no problem and they seem to almost never actually burn out. My whole point on longevity is how long they last without having to reprime the heads every few puffs, which none have lasted much past a week. It's a wick issue, not a coil issue.

Also try the new vertical coil in your subtank, it will bring it back to life.

Last edited:

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Oh you can get 2-3 weeks from a starre head no problem and they seem to almost never actually burn out. My whole point on longevity is how long they last without having to reprime the heads every few puffs, which none have lasted much past a week. Is a wick issue, not a coil issue.

Also try the new vertical coil in your subtank, it will bring it back to life.
Never had to reprime them, ah I dunno..
I will try the Vertical coils, thanks :thumb:

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
Of course that may be due to me only using max VG liquids. See, I'm one of those unfortunate souls with a sensitivity to PG. I would bet 90% of my wicking issues is due to max VG but on the upside this is probably why I encounter very few leaking issues across the board.

I may sound down on the Starre but this is why I originally said there's a ton of threads touting how great they are and I know I've also sold and recommended them, I'm just giving the few honest down sides to one of the best tanks available. If you're into high wattage vaping then it's hands down the best, the Kanger's performance isn't close, but all in all with most vapers in mind i give the ST the nod. There must be a reason the Starre is in my pocket on backup but the Subox is in my hand. The RBA is a big reason...

Last edited:

dogluvr

Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Nashville, TN
There was never going to be any flaming, I didn't post to start one anyway, they were just bold statements and I was going to leave it at that but seeing how you have mentioned it.....I have no love for the Atlantis V1 or V2, over rated tanks.
I guess the only thing I would disagree with is the Starre coils, the first one lasted me 25 days and my second is going strong, in my opinion they are the best pre built coils on the market and saying they last a week + at best is wrong from my experience. Isle of Custard juice which I use is a very subtle flavour and I would be able to tell straight away if the flavour was off too, the flavour of these coils are the closest thing to dripping I have used, there is certainly no bitter or burnt rubber taste on mine. They are also super easy to prime and give me no dry hits or flooding or any kind of problems at all. You never mention what ohm coil you are using either, the 0.25ohm shines best at 60 - 70w.
Kanger tanks are great, shame about their coils. Dry hits, flooding, reduced flavour, all my subtank mini's sit gathering dust now.

Hi, so what tank do you use? I need to purchase another and my Kanger Tech Subtank leaks. Love the tank, coils, HATE the leakage (can't get stain out of clothes).
Thanks

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Hi, so what tank do you use? I need to purchase another and my Kanger Tech Subtank leaks. Love the tank, coils, HATE the leakage (can't get stain out of clothes).
Thanks
You won't get any leaks as far as I've heard with the new black and white kanger subtank Minis. I use a Freemax Starre, waiting for the pro version. Love the tank but it's an indoor vape really.

dogluvr

Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Nashville, TN
Where is your tank leaking from? Are you using the the RBA deck or stock coils? Is it an authentic kanger subtank?

Yes, it is authentic and I'm not sure where it's leaking from. If I lay it down there is a stain. It has been like this from day 1. I just changed the o-rings (not sure I did it correctly) and so far no leaks, but that's been about 5 min. Will update when it's been laying down for 15 min. but before it leaked within 5 min.

dogluvr

Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Nashville, TN
You won't get any leaks as far as I've heard with the new black and white kanger subtank Minis. I use a Freemax Starre, waiting for the pro version. Love the tank but it's an indoor vape really.

I forgot to answer the coils question... I use the Kanger Tech OCC replacement coils 15W-30W. I'm open to anything that's good. Throat hit and clouds are important.... oh, and no leaks! :) Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Fit_Four_Life

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
If the kanger doesn't do it for you when it's not leaking you either need to swap to the new vertical coils or just get the Starre. I only buy the 0.25 heads for my Starre but the 0.5 performs similar if your mods can't take that low resistance.

If you do want to stick it out with the subtank don't bother with the old coils. Many still like them but I'd wager that's only because they haven't tried the new coils especially since they've only recently became available.

If you're on a mech mod the Starre is a no brainer. It's in my hand on my 4nine right now cause my dumb ... dropped the Subox this morning and cracked the tank. Thankfully I have spares when I get home. This is exactly why I never leave home without a backup.

Point of all of this is, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have that 2nd tank and have it be the Starre? My coworker is borrowing my kbox and subtank plus right now cause he lost his nemesis/subtank mini setup at a gas station. Someone found something nice that day at the pumps cause it was gone when he returned.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
So this is where I am and coming from:

Got my first subohm tank last Dec. The Kanger Subtank like many others. Since then I've bought several hundred dollars worth of new tanks as they hit and another several hundred in replacement heads. There's a ton of threads out there touting how great subohm tanks are but few listing the drawbacks per tank that start to stand out after really embracing this style of vaping and having it be your "all day vape" for 6 months. Before anyone gets upset you should understand I like these devices but still want more. I'm a heavy vaper so many who read this will never encounter my problems.

1st issue: WICKING!

Every single tank/head combination I've used starts relatively great. You're getting RDA level flavor and vapor without having to drip. This is amazing if you've been dripping for a year! That's a huge inconvenience in your life that's simply gone. Then 5-7 days in the wicking issues start up where I have to plug the airholes with my fingers and blow air into the tank to relieve the vacuum then suck to pull juice into the head. I've yet to have a head last the claimed "month" without 3 weeks of that month being me getting dry hits if I forget to prime the head every few puffs. I don't even push the heads to their limits as I don't like a hot or even very warm vape.

Solution? Change heads often or change your habits to "priming" instead of dripping to stretch out that head's life. This leads me to...

2nd issue: Replacement coil availability

With how fast these new tanks have flooded the market then revised over and again the manufacturers only seem to focus on the tanks themselves and not making the freaking heads available for a decent price or quantity. This is where the "wait and see" mentality people are winning big. I may always be the first in my circle to have the latest hardware but that also means I have a TON of retired hardware that I spent good money on and only a handful of coils on hand for that new hotness. This is where an RBA deck should be in your tank purchase.

Solution? If you're going to release the latest and greatest hardware make sure ALL of it is available. The razorblade style profit margins don't work when you don't have razorblades available. You're going to be undercut by whatever the new hotness is if your coils can't beat it to market. Make a competant RBA available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to the extended view of the tanks I've put through their paces, leaving out ones I've (obviously) never used or the ones I wouldn't recommend. Any of these give a solid vape experience but all require some level of fiddling. In order I'd recommend:

Kanger Subtank Nano, Mini, Mini V2, Plus

We all have one. Heads are everywhere and cheap. I place this at the top since the new vertical coil brought this tank back to life for me and the new RBA head put it as my No. 1 all day vape. The new Subox kits I got look sexy as hell, are compact, powerful, and the easiest battery change of my many mods. The only big issue I had before was vapor production vs higher end tanks but now the new vertical coils come much closer at near half the price. I loved my Plus's capacity and the Nano's svelt size but they don't look as sleek as the Vader Subox or the wife's Stormtrooper. You can get higher performing tanks than these but price and availability of those heads knock them off the top spot. Average head life without priming: 1 week but 1st horizontal coils can be rewicked easily. RBA deck!

Freemax Starre, Vapeston Maganus, High Voltage

These are the performers. Simply the best vapor production to date. You're NOT going to hit that 100-150 watt claim though so don't even attempt. (Mine produced the worst coughing fit I've experienced in my life) The Starre is the star here (sorry :p) as the Mag is pointless as it's a twin to the Starre with heads costing more and harder to find and the HV is even more rare. The Starre is rapidly gaining popularity but even at the lowest prices I've found online you're going to pony up an extra $5/box vs Kanger heads, even wider margins if you count cloned Kanger heads. Heads have a mean break in though so don't get down on it when it tastes like burnt rubber! Ramp up the wattage when you're breaking them in. I frown especially on the Maganus heads as they shouldn't claim 150 watts when it's not even remotely possible to maintain 100 watts. False advertising? Classic shame. These all can maintain 70 watts for several days but shine around 45-55 watts. Average head life without priming: 1 week+ but the shape of the air holes make it a pita to prime with my plug-blow-suck method where the Subtanks and Arctic I can do without looking. Biggest con: No RBA deck so you're buying every overpriced coil.

Horizon Arctic

This one kinda changed the game when it came out of nowhere. I've a love/hate relationship with this tank. It was the first widely available high performance tank but slightly short of the Starre. My biggest problem is design. The tank glass is recessed in it's SS casing so I've cut my fingers many times now trying to open the damn thing cause it tends to seize up when it gets hot. You're going to be opening it a LOT as it's capacity is comically small and filling is a pita with the tiny slots you get. You can't grip it by the air ring as it just spins. To avoid cuts slide a mini screwdriver into the airholes to stabilize the base or simply get a better designed tank. Performance is great but shoddy design and build quality put this in a distant 3rd to the other classes of tanks. On the plus there's little to no break in on the heads. They perform great within minutes. Heads have good availability and price. This tank badly needs a V2 with increased capacity, flush tank, and locking AFC ring. This would easily put this tank in the top spot! There's an extend capacity clone "V2" on FastTech I've been eyeing that would solve the capacity at least. The authentic V2 Arctic just has the pointless silly airholes in the tip ala Atlantis V2. Why go for Aspire's marketing gimmick without actually improving capacity that EVERYONE has complained about? Average head life without priming: 1 week but that AFC ring is stupid easy to spin to prime to extend that to 2 weeks. (too easy? It's going to spin in your pocket all the time) No RBA deck here either.

Aspire Atlantis

Was never impressed. Lost (barely) to the Subtank in the first war for flavor while it gave better airflow. Looks silly in the current gen with air holes in the tip. Hey Aspire, I'm fully capable of parting my lips slightly to bring extra airflow around the tip and then I'd be fully capable of changing the drip tip to something I want aside from your proprietary one that's comically huge. Vapers aren't stupid enough to think that huge tip=huge airflow when your coils are still narrow. Honestly I haven't purchased the V2 as I saw zero improvement over the first's design aside from a lower resistance head's availability. Experienced vapers in general are rather educated and don't fall for marketing gimmicks like OMGAIRHOLESINTHETIP!1! This feels aimed at newbie vapers that think airflow is king not understanding that more air is completely useless when it doesn't pass THROUGH the coil and actually hurts flavor production badly. Now that that rant is over with, the Atlantis V1 is a solid tank. If you already have one you're not SOL as it doesn't fall THAT far behind the others in performance and flavor. I just wouldn't recommend them as a new purchase. Heads are widely available for good prices. Still no RBA though. Average head life without priming: 1 week+ but I haven't gone through as many Atlantis heads as the others as I've ended up using this the least.

Next up for me is the Sigelei Elite tank. It can be had for Smok VCT prices and seems to have Kanger level build quality. I've got it sitting as I've only purchased Ni200 coils to go in my new Sigelei75 when it shows up so sorry for lack of information on that yet. Honorable mention to the VCT. It's build quality is what's expected of what it is, and that's a Subtank clone. Performance is akin to the first gen Subtank but you can't ignore the price. I just don't look at prices on the tanks as closely as coil prices as obviously that's going to be your long run investment. We've had one bouncing around and it's decent but nothing ahead of all the me too tanks you see popping up everywhere.

My quest? Performance of the Starre, Kanger build quality, $2 heads that actually last 10 days and can be found relatively easily. Am I asking too much? Then drop the Starre head prices by half so I'm not inclined to try and make them last as long as possible when they're $4 a pop. At least Kanger and Joye give you the cheapskate option to rebuild with RBA decks. (Subtank's included, Joye's is extra) Right now the Subtank V2 is the closest to that perfect tank so it's my recommended buy.
Thanks for the data.

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
If the kanger doesn't do it for you when it's not leaking you either need to swap to the new vertical coils or just get the Starre. I only buy the 0.25 heads for my Starre but the 0.5 performs similar if your mods can't take that low resistance.

If you do want to stick it out with the subtank don't bother with the old coils. Many still like them but I'd wager that's only because they haven't tried the new coils especially since they've only recently became available.

If you're on a mech mod the Starre is a no brainer. It's in my hand on my 4nine right now cause my dumb ... dropped the Subox this morning and cracked the tank. Thankfully I have spares when I get home. This is exactly why I never leave home without a backup.

Point of all of this is, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have that 2nd tank and have it be the Starre? My coworker is borrowing my kbox and subtank plus right now cause he lost his nemesis/subtank mini setup at a gas station. Someone found something nice that day at the pumps cause it was gone when he returned.
hate to hijack the thread, but the innoking mvp 3.0 i've been using is dying a slow death. Would you recommend the kanger subox? I love the look of it, and have been loving my original subtank mini.

I went to a local vape shop about a month ago and tested out the Herakles, the Aspire Atlantis v1 and v2, and the Arctic - and came home with the Arctic v2 (5ml, afc in drip tip) - and I got a boatload of .2ohm coils from somewhere for dirt cheap. Since then, I've also got a Starre tank and a Sig 150W to go with my iStick 50... now I have two tanks that I can play with. So far that I can see, they are both nearly identical in performance (for me) - and I vape them at 50W with the .2ohm coils... Now I'm looking for Starre coils and I can't get over the price for these coils! The Arctic coils are barely $1 a coil! The Starre's are over $2 a coil! Coil prices aside (I'll order from FT and save some $$) - If I don't actually look at my tank when I reach for them, I can't tell the difference. Both are loaded with the same juice (my own Max VG stuff) and they're on the same wattage - same great airflow, same great flavor, same massive clouds of vapor.... There are some niggling differences but I still tend to favor my arctic. Vape On!!

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
hate to hijack the thread, but the innoking mvp 3.0 i've been using is dying a slow death. Would you recommend the kanger subox? I love the look of it, and have been loving my original subtank mini.
The Subox is pretty much designed with you in mind. Not really high performance like a starre or Arctic but a great middle ground with style in mind.

I'm guessing the mvp has it's battery dying? I'd never bought a mod with the battery built in like the mvps for that exact reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread