Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
sourcemore has given me the Wotofo Profile RDTA to review. And let me tell you, this has been a roller coaster.
b4.jpg

I like RDTAs for the flexibility. I like choices. I like that this can be a tank, can be a dripper, can be single or dual coil, or mesh. So on the surface, I thought this would be easy. It was not. It was a journey.

Out of the box it was intimidating. So many bits and pieces. I had to take a deep breath and remind myself I have survived assembling the bits of a BB, surely I can do this.

In the box you’ll find the Profile, an owner’s manual, some tools, a bottom cap for use in dripper mode, some cotton laces, two extra wicking rods, extra screws and O rings, a pair of coils, and a selection of mesh, and a blind pin.

b7.jpg

I’m going to interject here, that I thought this was a squonk pin until I looked more closely. Nope, it’s solid. So I looked to see what comes installed on the bottom of the tank – a blind pin. So this does not squonk in tank mode? That was an absolute thumbs down.

So at this point I was like, DO NOT LOVE.

I looked at the manual and it has instructions in about a dozen languages in a font so small an ant would need cheaters. I have no idea what it says.

As I took the Profile apart, I saw that there is a squonk pin in the base of the top half, so it does squonk in dripper mode. That a relief. It doesn’t totally negate the thumbs down for not being bottom feed in tank mode though.

This RDTA is 25 mm wide with a 6.2 ml juice capacity, and has a poly carbonate tank, rather than glass. The tank is protected by a cage, so I’m not sure using PC is any benefit, except maybe during disassembly, with so many bits to juggle, when the “glass” might be dropped.

The pieces are stiff, like most new gear, but the threading is clean, clearances seem perfect, and the finish on every surface, inside and out, is flawless. On first use, you’ll want to lube all the threads/moving parts with juice or VG to make it easier to assemble, and adjust the air flow. It’s not the worst I’ve tried, but a little lubrication does help.

The air flow works like a dream. So tight you can restrict it as much as you like, opens up to zero restriction – and is surprisingly quiet even open all the way. I like how it will close the top row of the honeycomb all the way across, and then close all three rows from one side to the other.

c7.jpg

And at this point I was like, Kind of LOVE.

I didn’t notice until I cropped this picture, but the drip tip is actually resin on a metal base. I did not watch or read any reviews about the Profile until after I’d taken all my notes and formed my own conclusions, but I did watch a couple afterward, and it was mentioned that some of the drip tips were not glued together properly – maybe the prototypes, sent to the major reviewers? Mine is intact, however.

b11.jpg

So I took some photos and took it all apart again, gave it a wash, and built it.

I used my usual SS316L clapton at about .36 ohms, single coil because that’s how I live my life now.

DSC_3743.JPG

I have a couple RDTAs, none of them have these SS wicking rods. I was entirely unsure of them. Feeling very negative, in fact. But the whole thing went back together more easily than I thought it would – until I got to installing the coil. One of those teeny tiny screws was cross threaded and there was no way to remove it with the teeny tiny screwdriver included in the box. I did manage to back it out a little with a slightly less teeny screwdriver from my junk drawer, then got it out the rest of the way with some tiny pliers. That’s the first time I had to use a replacement screw because it was stripped out – backing out too far and dropping them, I do that often enough.

So at this point I was very much DO NOT LIKE!

Filling is not the best. There’s a tiny hole on the build deck (You can see it in that last picture, bottom right on the deck, next to the rods - it looks huge here, but trust me it's not) so you’ll need a really pointy tip on the juice bottle. 6.2 mls is a lot of juice to squeeze through that hole, and I wouldn’t want to have to wrangle it in there with a rounded dropper.

The top cap gave me a hard time, because it does need to be lined up, and it’s hard to see if it’s in the right position. Plus, even lubed up, it’s pretty stiff.
See that square tab? It fits in the cut outs on the deck. It's a tight squeeze.
b14.jpg

Mood: Hate!

When I try a new atty, I like to compare it to one or two I use often and am familiar with, with the same coil and juice. The flavor from the Profile is better than most, and as good as the best I have.

Maybe I was being a little hasty with the hate.

With other RDTAs, a bit of wick is poked down through holes in the deck, and you have to do that swirly thing to wet the wick ends. I’ve been purposely not swirling, just to see what would happen. My cotton stays perfectly juicy. These rods do a better job at preventing dry hits or flooding better than my squonk style does. Very nice.

Okay now I’m feeling the love.

I did not test this with mesh because I don’t build with mesh and I’m not sure it would be fair to rate it based on my lack of experience.

To swap from tank to bottom feed, just take the tank off, remove the rods, and attach the bottom cap. It vapes great, just like in tank mode, no leaking from the bottom cap at all. Swap out the squonk pin for the included blind pin if you like.

So thoughts?

Cons:

Number one con is it doesn’t squonk in tank mode.

Lots of parts, little information.

Cap is hard to line up – would be nice if there were some kind of markings on the outside to assist.

Juice port is really small.

I’m not going to add my cross threaded screw to this list, because, you know, stuff happens.

Pros:

Options. Love that it’s single or dual coil, and mesh users get to play, too.

Love the juice capacity. I don’t love how tall that makes this RDTA, but rather too tall than too wide to sit on my mods.

Flavor for days.

Great air flow, entirely adjustable.

Very quiet, no whistles.

No leaks.

Quality build, perfect finish.

Long story short, I found the Profile RDTA to be a bit fussy and fiddly to set up – next time, without a bum screw, will be easier, but still not as easy as most – but once I had it together, I loved the vape. I think I love it enough that it’s worth the fuss.

I give it 4.5 stars – docking it half a star for the lame manual and that frustrating top cap.

Would I recommend it? Heck yeah.

Get the Wotofo Profile RDTA from Sourcemore for $29.99 with code WPR!

Thank you, Lilia and Sourcemore!

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Nice review. The tanks sounds like a PITA to me. I appreciate you being honest and giving the real experience that you had with it. I don't care how good the flavor is on a tank, if it's too much of a pain then it will get used once and then goes to live in a stash box for emergencies. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread