Things sure have changed 'round here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw'struth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
London, KY
Didn't read the whole thing, so I think my post will be on topic.........

I'm like to think that I am not THAT old, yet. (36) But, I remember when our local high school had a cigarette vending machine in the hallway of the gym! LOL

I also remember from grade school that you weren't allowed to smoke outside at recess.........unless you were in 8th grade! Crazy........

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
I remember my first cigarette too. I was 15. I had grown up in a cloud of smoke but had never considered doing it myself...then in a moment of frustrated teenage angst I decided to secretly "get back at everybody" by having a cigarette. It wasn't hard to steal one of my mom's, she had packs in drawers, packs on the counters, cartons on top of the fridge, packs in her coat pockets, packs in the car. I lit up and took my first puff in my bedroom and felt totally fine. I never coughed and never got ill. I felt a tiny bit light-headed with my first few drags.

I "needed" at least a pack a day within the month and within a few months I was stopping between every single class bell to draw desperately on butts in the girl's room.

Understood. I was addicted in the womb. Went through withdrawls (southern for "ah neeeded, 'em y'all!) for nearly 13 years, LOL!!!!

Seriously - the depth and intensity of the addiction varies widely and wildly according to one's body chemistry...

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
When I was in high school, you could still smoke in planes, restaurants...gas stations. My first cigarette in front of my parents was in a very posh country club. It was the norm. Of course, they only cost about $1.25 a pack then. I remember my friends and I making money to buy a pack by asking 10 women outside the restrooms in a department store if we could borrow a DIME to call our mother for a ride home. Lots of women supported my habit back then.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
So true, I had forgotten how much things have changed until this thread reminded me ... I grew up with two smoking parents, and my dad was the worst!! But as a kid I remember that my parents could, and did smoke everywhere we went ... you could even smoke inside the mall, as you walked around from store to store. Those were the days, but I don't miss them!

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I remember building a small fire by rubbing two sticks together...then dragging the carcass of the saber toothed tiger near the fire. I killed it with a rock.....a rather large rock. Then I gathered banana tree leaves out of the jungle and covered the fire. I placed the carcass on the leaves. I made a funnel big enough to cover the fire and carcass by weaving palm fronds together...it funneled down to a 1" hose. I hollowed out a Mammoth tusk and cut off the tip . I then attached the Mammoth tusk drip tip into the funnel and vaped Saber Toothed Tiger. I never dreamed it would catch on.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Yes, airplanes and busses had those little ashtrays in the arms...

Amtrak had the bar car...my favorite place to hang out when traveling smoke at will

Then they confined everyone to the 'smoking car' which was like a smelly fog...

They probably have the NO SMOKING policy everywhere...no more 'smoking cars'

Amtrak has banned ecigs too. I'm traveling by Amtrak in November.

angstless

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Detroit
I started smoking at 4 ..went to the store to purchase a pack for my 'mother'..they refused so I bought a stogie..and sat in a field of tall grasses and smoked that stogie while watching the traffic pass. I know some will think that is so unbelievable but I did it...my folks owned the cleaners next to that field of tall grass.

Of course that was a one off..and did not start really smoking till I was 12

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
S&H Green Stamps :D

Woops, dating myself........:laugh: 60

Yep I remember those, and looking at the catalogs to see the cool things you could get.
Ok since we are going there, how many guys when they were growing up used to look at the lingere womens underwear bra section in the Sears catalog?
Me I never did it I may have thought about it. I just wanna see did any guys do that :blush: :angel:
Lol

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
So true, I had forgotten how much things have changed until this thread reminded me ... I grew up with two smoking parents, and my dad was the worst!! But as a kid I remember that my parents could, and did smoke everywhere we went ... you could even smoke inside the mall, as you walked around from store to store. Those were the days, but I don't miss them!

I do I miss real freedom, sorry had to go there

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Amtrak has banned ecigs too. I'm traveling by Amtrak in November.

In SoCal, Amtrak has those nice high-back seats in the lower section, perfect for stealth vaping. I grab a single seat on the left side of the car, no seatmate, and near the restroom. The chemical smell from the commode masks any trace of vape aroma ...

Then, once across the border in Mexico, its back to the 60s ...

A few years ago, Mexico passed a national ban on smoking in public places. In Tijuana, it lasted exactly 2 1/2 weeks, with Xeroxed "No Fumar" signs everywhere, and the sea shell ashtrays in bars and restaurants disappeared for 17 days ...

Then, as if by magic, the signs vanished, the clam shells reappeared, and life was good again ...

Ironically, Mexico also has a national ban on vaping gear that, so far, has effectively prevented the benefits of vaping from reaching a public that would clearly like to have a choice, Mexicans are fascinated by cigalikes and PVs ...

Its the Bizarro world, no NJOYs in the OXXO stores, but there is an ashtray next to the register ... :blink:

I do I miss real freedom, sorry had to go there

Eh...personally I miss the old days in a few sentimental ways, but honestly, if I were to raise my kids today the way we were raised in the 70s I'd probably turn MYSELF in to Child Protective Services, LOL.

We seriously missed death by a narrow margin approximately once a week. More often for boys. :p

For example, I remember for a while it was all the rage for boys to jump off the roof. Yes, that's right...jump off the roof. Pick a house where the mom wasn't home for a couple of hours in a loose sham of covering up one's activities and then dare one another to jump off a roof into a swimming pool, onto a tree a couple/few feet away from the house, into a sheet held by the other boys...or just down into the bushes...what the heck????

And when you told your parents about it...they'd shake their heads and go, "Oh well, if Jimmy wants to kill himself, then I guess he gets what he deserves for being an idiot." NOBODY called Jimmy's mom to say "Hey, by the way...your son was JUMPING OFF YOUR ROOF today. You may want to attempt to put some sort of stop to that before he, you know, dies."

I think parents figured if we killed or crippled ourselves doing "stupid things" then it was just natural selection or something. Darwinian, if you will. We'd tell and re-tell an old joke off our parents' continuous assertion "Don't come running to me if you hurt yourself in X, Y or Z way!" You know, like..."If you break your leg, don't come running to me." "If you gouge your eyes out, don't come crying to me." Etc.

Ah. The dangerous, parenting-free 70s.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Eh...personally I miss the old days in a few sentimental ways, but honestly, if I were to raise my kids today the way we were raised in the 70s I'd probably turn MYSELF in to Child Protective Services, LOL.

We seriously missed death by a narrow margin approximately once a week. More often for boys. :p

You know, damn pull up your rocker; sheesh lol
But remember when boys used to be able to fight on the playground and maybe they got
a detention. Then later they were forced to shake hands and became friends. Or maybe a good .... kickin
chilled a bully out.
Hummmmmmm gee I don't remember kids bringing guns to school back then a going on any shooting sprees.
Lol think about it, is it really safer now ;-)?

You know, damn pull up your rocker; sheesh lol
But remember when boys used to be able to fight on the playground and maybe they got
a detention. Then later they were forced to shake hands and became friends. Or maybe a good .... kickin
chilled a bully out.
Hummmmmmm gee I don't remember kids bringing guns to school back then a going on any shooting sprees.
Lol think about it, is it really safer now ;-)?

I do remember the "just let them fight it out" mentality. My sister had things just right, she was twice my size to begin with and she'd make a fist, put her hand over the other fist to double the impact and slam it down into the middle of my back so I would have the wind knocked out of me. That way I couldn't scream for mom. Which didn't matter so much anyway as when I finally DID have a breath of air and staggered to Mom she (my mom, that is!!!!) would call me a tattletale...

Yep...I surely do remember fighting things out, LOL. The boys more than the girls, obviously. My sister just happened to find it an art form, apparently.

I definitely don't remember guns in school but then I SURELY don't see that now, either. To an extent that's obviously regional. Even parents who have been with the same school system and same school building (elementary, high school or whatever) are practically frisked before we're allowed to go dig in the class gardens, LOL. And believe it or not, to volunteer for certain things, such as chaperoning class trips, we have to be fingerprinted...yeah, seriously. If we aren't fingerprinted at the cop shop we don't go. Period.

ETA: And yep...I definitely am a fogey! It's amazing how many memories I realize I have of what is considered "the old days" now! Which is a good thing since pretty soon I'll be losing them all... :p Wait. What was I saying again?

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
For example, I remember for a while it was all the rage for boys to jump off the roof. Yes, that's right...jump off the roof. Pick a house where the mom wasn't home for a couple of hours in a loose sham of covering up one's activities and then dare one another to jump off a roof into a swimming pool, onto a tree a couple/few feet away from the house, into a sheet held by the other boys...or just down into the bushes...what the heck????

And when you told your parents about it...they'd shake their heads and go, "Oh well, if Jimmy wants to kill himself, then I guess he gets what he deserves for being an idiot." NOBODY called Jimmy's mom to say "Hey, by the way...your son was JUMPING OFF YOUR ROOF today. You may want to attempt to put some sort of stop to that before he, you know, dies."

I think parents figured if we killed or crippled ourselves doing "stupid things" then it was just natural selection or something. Darwinian, if you will. We'd tell and re-tell an old joke off our parents' continuous assertion "Don't come running to me if you hurt yourself in X, Y or Z way!" You know, like..."If you break your leg, don't come running to me." "If you gouge your eyes out, don't come crying to me." Etc.

Ah. The dangerous, parenting-free 70s.

lol ... yup, we were always jumping off the roof ... my Dad was a Fireman and we used to practice rescue jumps.

missed the safety blanket/cardboard many times :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread