Thinking about buying a variable voltage piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I'm really new to all this so I have a question.(there's a reason I named myself "questionsgalore") so I've been using a KTS+ mod for a little over a month now and I'm thinking about buying a new piece on Thursday. Preferably something with a variable voltage. So I have a couple questions.

1) if I get a variable voltage piece, what should I look for in it? To make sure it's a good piece and that I'm not wasting my money. By this I mean like what voltage range should it have and that stuff.

2) What makes a variable voltage piece better than a regular mod?

lastly, what can the different voltages control? Like why would you burn with a higher voltage and why a lower voltage?

thanks guys for bearing with me:)

CaptainTripps107

Jul 16, 2014
Mass
most variables go from 3-6 watts. and 3-15 watts . Variable voltage mods are regulated so you don't get the drop off from your vape as the battery gets weak, plus if you want a stronger hit you dial up the power or vice versa. do your homework on what mod might suit you best, there are reviews on youtube for just about every mod on the planet. I would say don't worry about the gimmicks on mods like the ability to charge a phone from it(useless in my opinion, you charge your phone but kill the battery in your vape) some gizmos are just confusing or require a lot to navigate the menus. start simple and move up from there.

I got a Vamo V5 for my first VV/VW device and loved it, heck still love my vamo today. you can pick one up for around $30 and you can use any battery from a 18350 to a 18650 , even stacked 18350's work well in it. vamo V5 has been upgraded now too to have a better display. I never had no problems from mine , very easy to use and not a big investment. I will say this though , if you get the stainless steel it will have some weight to it and all vamos if run in 18650 mode are long. Im a starwars fan though and it always made me feel like I was wielding a light saber.

Wow thank you for the answers guys. What should I really look for though when I'm there. The person I buy from only has about 8 different pieces and about 4 VV/VW's. So I want to make sure if I get one then I can make sure it's great and will be worth it before I buy it. I think my KTS+ might be crapping the bed. And this Thursday is the only time I really have enough time in my day to pick one up for a while.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I'm really new to all this so I have a question.(there's a reason I named myself "questionsgalore") so I've been using a KTS+ mod for a little over a month now and I'm thinking about buying a new piece on Thursday. Preferably something with a variable voltage. So I have a couple questions.

1) if I get a variable voltage piece, what should I look for in it? To make sure it's a good piece and that I'm not wasting my money. By this I mean like what voltage range should it have and that stuff.

2) What makes a variable voltage piece better than a regular mod?

lastly, what can the different voltages control? Like why would you burn with a higher voltage and why a lower voltage?

thanks guys for bearing with me:)

a few choices to make
do you want to have/use a changeable battery type + charger
or go the route of a self contained battery

then pick out what you like, what appeals to you and research

so with that, I'll tell you I went with self contained and have been nothing but happy
it just works, it is simple, has all the many features that are available, and more than reasonable in price
suggest you get one then decide later if you want to 'add' to your collection (hobby) :D

- A PBusardo Review & Contest - iTaste MVP V2 - YouTube
- Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape
- https://coolbreezevapors.com/media/...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_0944.jpg

- - -

variable voltage (unlike set output voltage) allows you to 'dial-in' the power to match
the Ω's of the coil you are trying to vape and the juice you use
eg: a 2.5Ω coil, set VV to 4.5volts and see if that pleases you (or up/down)
then later in day, you switch out tanks, now 1.8Ω coil, set VV to 3.8volts, etc
VV just allows YOU flexibility...

:) good luck

- Sigelei Zmax v3 Flat Top - Kidney Puncher

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wow thank you for the answers guys. What should I really look for though when I'm there. The person I buy from only has about 8 different pieces and about 4 VV/VW's. So I want to make sure if I get one then I can make sure it's great and will be worth it before I buy it. I think my KTS+ might be crapping the bed. And this Thursday is the only time I really have enough time in my day to pick one up for a while.

There are a lot of VV devices out there QuestionsGalore. Without knowing which four your shop has it's hard to help you. It's not just about features, dependability means a lot too.

I'm also wondering why you think your KTS is going bad. They're not the best mechanical mod out there, but I used mine for a lot longer than a month. It did OK by me and I only put it aside because I didn't like the side button.

Just figured out my KTS wasn't going bad. It was just tank problems but I got it all figured out. I still would like a VV. When I'm there on Thursday I'll update you guys as to what kinds he has. I always end up putting looks before reliability. But I'm really looking for a piece preferably bigger with interchangeable batteries. I like having a bigger solid piece in my hand. But I still live with my parents and they don't like me doing this even though it's healthier than the analogs my mother smokes. I'm trying to get her to switch over. So my only real choice is the vendor close to me.

SintheticKarma

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
The Itaste VTR is a very solid vv/vw mod. I have dropped mine several times it has one single cosmetic mark from the abuse. I have no qualms recommending the VTR as a entry level VV device especially since you stated you want something bigger and solid. It comes with an adapter for larger than 19mm atomizers and some don't care for the look of the device both with and without the adapter. I think anything that keeps me away from cigs is sexy so I went for durable and have been happy with my choice. It can use clearomizers, rebuildables, rebuildable tank's like the kfun and works well with all of those devices, with the correct builds. Battery life on my VTR ranges from 1 to 2 batteries a day, depending on battery and if I am chain vaping or not. Typical users (with good batteries and at proper nic level) should be able to change a battery once per 24 hour period, in my experience.

MVP's feel fragile in comparison - but I don't own a MVP so I won't claim to know anything about them beyond their feel. The VTR is VV/VW mod 3-6 volts and/or 3-15 watts. Mine can use coils down to .6 ohms but I find 1-1.5 ohms are typically the sweet spot depending on your wire gauge and build of course. I have built coils all the way up to 3 ohm and it performs well with them too.

My VTR is now a backup device as I am continuing my vape journey into higher power territory. I expect to have it years from now and I expect it will still function. My backup vape gear consist of my VTR and a 19mm Iclear X.I. atty and some strong flavored juice. With all this being said the VTR is still on the expensive side and unless you can find a really good deal your going to be paying prices similar to DNA 30 clones and SX330/SX350 mods. Those offer a bit more headroom power wise but none of them feel like the VTR in your hand. The VTR feels like a Abrams tank and most other vv/vw box mods feel like a vw bug.

I hope this was helpful, lol. Good luck finding your device.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Ok... hope you still see this...

first, you do need a backup. if you're familiar with mechs, you might want to consider getting at least one backup mechanical mod, and two backup atomizers. Since yours is working fine, you have the luxury of shopping online. I prefer to buy from a Chinese source. Even though I want to support an American location, there is fierce competition in China. Granted, you can get some bad stuff from there, so do your research first.

for a backup mechanical mod, check out these suggestions: Sentinel mod(a good inexpensive backup), Caravela Mod (I bought this and has been EXTREMELY reliable), FocalEcig--Pegasus (looking to buy this, all copper should mean it hits nice.). Those are just three suggestions.

For VV/VW (regulated devices), I use a Vamo and a Kick'd Nemesis for my ADV. I think a regulated mod puts out reliable vapor for 28-32 gauge wires at 1.8 ohms or higher. I prefer my dual coils on a mechanical mod, but for single coils, I prefer my Variable wattage options. My regulated devices handle 15 watts and 6 volts, but I prefer to keep it at the wattage setting. That seems to be the standard nowdays, but they've been releasing 30 watt mods recently, and that will be my next regulated device. There are several advantages to regulated devices...

1) they're safer. most (if not all) regulated devices will not fire on a coil that is too low for it's rating. that prevents shorts. Also, they have an automatic shut off. if you hold the button down too long, it will stop firing.
2) they provide constant power. Unlike a mechanical mod, their "usable time" doesn't diminish as much as a regular mechanical mod. They do diminish, but it seems they have a much longer "useable time" before it shuts off.
3) They can be adjusted to fit your vape profile. Unlike a mechanical mod, you can go from one ohm setting to another and adjust the power output to match the coil. with a mechanical, you have to adjust the coil to get your vape profile.

The limitations on a regulated device is.. if you blow clouds, you won't get the same warmth/vapor as a full mechanical. I still get good flavor out of my regulated devices, but for those times when I just want to see a thundercloud in my house, I go mechanical.

hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
I have a Vamo5 and Sigelei 20. Vamo is a excellent choice and has been very durable. I've dropped it a couple times and nothing more than some scratches. I perefer my Segelei 20 and my kayfuns though. The segelei's nice because it has a heftier feel and fires down to .06ohms. Add that to a 20 watt capacity and a nice digital display I think it has been worth what I paid for it.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Just figured out my KTS wasn't going bad. It was just tank problems but I got it all figured out. I still would like a VV. When I'm there on Thursday I'll update you guys as to what kinds he has. I always end up putting looks before reliability. But I'm really looking for a piece preferably bigger with interchangeable batteries. I like having a bigger solid piece in my hand. But I still live with my parents and they don't like me doing this even though it's healthier than the analogs my mother smokes. I'm trying to get her to switch over. So my only real choice is the vendor close to me.

I don't mean to speak out of place here, but I think a lot of us are putting forth TOO MUCH input into this. And I don't mean to undermine or offend the op when I say this, but we could easily be causing a bit more confusion than anything. QuestionsGalore, PLEASE don't take that statement as any kind of attack on you competence, I don't mean for it to be. It's just that some of us are even going into sub-ohming details here when the op simply asked for the advantages of VV mods.

Ok, that being said... VV/VW mods have many benefits as have already been listed more than once here. As far as the reason for needing VV and VW.. It's for ultimate compatibility and customization of your vaping experience. I'll stick to VV just for my example. You've got your mod, it's ready to be used, so say you throw a carto tank setup on it, using a 3.2ohm cartomizer. Well, set your volts to roughly 4.0 and work your way up the voltage settings until you reach your preferred vape. For me personally, on a 3.2ohm carto tank, I typically have my mod set to around 4.8 volts, but that's just me. The benefits of VV include that you could vape on that carto tank a while, take it off, slap on something like a Kanger Aerotank Mega using a dual 2ohm head, and follow the same procedure, only starting out lower. Personally I vape my Aerotank with a 2ohm head at 4.2 volts. So it will allow you to put different tank systems on your mod, of various ohm resistances, and adjust the mods voltage or wattage to your desired level without the need for another mod.

Now onto your question of "which mod?"... Like someone else already stated, without knowing the mods at your local shop, it's hard to point you in any direction. However, I BEG OF YOU, do NOT buy your mod at the vape shop. Their selection seems more than limited and ( in my experience with local shops ) they're probably overpriced as well.

Your choices are limitless online. Personally, for your FIRST mod, I wouldn't think you'd need anything with a special feature on it, like being able to go up to 30 watts for sub-ohm vaping. Any standard mod that'll range from 3-6volts and up to 15watts should be sufficient. The VAMO is a perfectly good device for this. I have three mods, a VAMO 2, a Lavatube v2, and a first gen Provari. I keep my VAMO as a backup, and my Provari finally went out (it needs both upgrade AND repair so I'm simply ordering a new one next week) and even though it's not a popular mod, my Lavatube v2 has worked really well for me since my Provari died.

Now PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption here (I could easily be and often am lol) but with the way you mentioned still living with your parents and them not approving of your vaping, I'm under the assumption that you're either a teenager or in your early 20's. Whether that's the case or not, the thing to really consider is price. Online, there's a vast array of mods at any price range, so if you could tell us what you're looking to spend, it might help us make more precise recommendations.

The VAMO (for its abilities) is quite the steal, ranging around $50-60 if you buy from most US retailers. That price COULD have easily dropped since I last checked as well. I don't personally order from china because I'm impatient and want my goods ASAP...lol. Several recommended the MVP 2.... But you just mentioned specifically you want interchangeable batteries, so the MVP 2 is out. The VTR is its alternative that uses batteries, but like the MVP 2, it IS a box mod, which aren't for everyone, myself included. I just don't like the way the box fits in my hand. I've never owned a Sigelei, so I can't personally speak for them, though I've heard good things. But their models of the 20w and 30w are designed for sub-ohm vaping.

Personally, I love and completely endorse the Provari from Provape. It's far from a cheap mod, and if you customize your kit on the Provape website, that $180 mod can quickly turn into a $250-$300 purchase once you get your batteries, charger, and any other accessories you may want. But I stand by them even to the point of ordering a second one next week. It's just a great, well built, solid mod. They're built like tanks. I have no idea how many times mine rolled off the desk or I dropped it, and that's not even what broke it. I had a carto tank leak all over the mod and the liquid got down into it and shorted out the main board.

Another suggestion I can make from personal experience is the Lavatube v2, from Volcano ecigs. I've heard some pretty bad things about the v1 and I'd stay away from it. But I've been using my v2 since my Provari died and have had no real complaints. It offers VV and VW.., allows you to check your battery life and the ohm resistance of the tank or carto you have hooked to it like most others. It feels solid, and retails for around $70 I believe.

DEFINITELY try to convince your parents to let you order your mod online. If you can do that, come back and let us know what you'd prefer to spend and we'll be able to make a lot of suggestions for you :)

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
You want to be able to change the voltage to get the vape you like
Changing the volts will make the vape hotter or cooler
or get the juice vaporized faster or slower
depending on how you like it.
If you use a 2.8ohm coil at 4.5 or 5volts
the vape will be rather warm, some people like that, I don't.
I ahve found that I like mine around 1.2 ohm at around 3.3 to 3.5 volts
some times higher.

Volts should start at 1.2 times the ohms and adjust from there
So a 2ohm atty or coil should be around 3.2 volts going higher will be warmer
going lower will be cooler but take longer to vaporize

Too much and you will burn the juice. Bad vapes.

On a mech, you will have to adjust the coil to the vape you like
You will be pushing 3.8v for a while then it will drop off
so, the lower the ohm, the hotter the vape, and vice versa
but the trade off is, higher ohm coil and the battery runs out faster
Mechs are good only in certain situations. In my opinion.
Mechs (aka Fixed Voltage) is said to be a step back by some
and a "who needs VV?" by others.

I would also suggest a Vamo, I have a Vamo 2.5 which I don't use anymore and a v3 that I pulled out to play around with tanks and stuff.
Found that it is still quite usable. But I have a Provari that I use mostly and recently a Nemesis Mech, that I am pulling away from
Don't see the point in a mech. I vaped on it for several days and different atty's
I get a better vape from my Provari and the Vamo actually. It just feels better, hard to explain.
And I wouldn't trade my Provari for anything other than a better version Provari.

If you are going to go further with a VV mod, then I would highly recommend a Provari.
Yes they are expensive, but what you get is worth it. And so is the company.

You won't go wrong with a Provari and a Kayfun v3.1 ES.
However, on the cheap, the Vamo is definitely a very good choice.

I would also highly recommend a VV/VW mod that you CAN change the batteries on.
Batteries go bad, regardless, so getting a mod that has a built in battery that takes
work and know how to replace, imo, is a waste, no matter how good it might be.
It's possible to last several years, or only one. There is no way to calculate that.
No one can.

Rumor has it that Provari v3 is coming and rumor is, it will be VW. We will have to wait and see.

Provari 2.5 is only VV, but to be honest, there isn't a huge difference between VV and VW.
Just plug in Ohm's law calc
1.8ohm
4 volts
= 9 watts
and vice versa

VW all started with the notion that you could swap atty's of differing ohm's and not have to adjust the volts
it would automatically do it for you.

This just doesn't matter. You will still have to adjust the settings, no matter what.
And there is the notion that you get something different from using Watts rather than volts
again, it's doesn't matter.

So, don't worry about whether or not it is VV or VW. In the long run it makes little to no difference.

Only till you start getting into the super sub-ohm of .2 ohm and 20+ Watts
You want the Watts to get the Amps I guess. It's a little different in that realm I think.
Others can explain this better than I can.

Ultimately, get what works for you. Even if it is cheapo over the counter cig-a-likes.
But we all know you want something better than that. :vapor:

One last thing,,, changing the voltage will change the flavor, from muted to full on flavor
depending on the atty. and vice versa, however, some attys and some juices, will actually taste worse or better at different voltages.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the vamo is a decient device... just dont drop it they hate being dropped
for something similar in function, the SVD by Itaste ( Innokin) is a good one to consider
has a nice sized screen, 3 button menu, 15W at the top end, can handle .8-.9 ohms on the low end
is VV and VW capable, has an ohm meter too, and has SS 510 threads to boot.
also, is 97% SS construction ( the bottom cap is chromed brass)

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I haven't read all of the replies but IMO.. the MVP 2.0 is a great devise. It's reliable. It has an amazing battery life. It has an onboard battery so you don't have to purchase separate batteries and charger. It has both ego and 510 threading so it will accommodate just about any atty without an adaptor. It's VV or VW, reads ohms, displays battery life, puff counter, charge your cell phone if you like... I could go on and on.... I have one that I used for awhile that's now a backup for my 30W devise.

Did I say it has an AMAZING battery life?!!!

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
the vamo is a decient device... just dont drop it they hate being dropped
for something similar in function, the SVD by Itaste ( Innokin) is a good one to consider
has a nice sized screen, 3 button menu, 15W at the top end, can handle .8-.9 ohms on the low end
is VV and VW capable, has an ohm meter too, and has SS 510 threads to boot.
also, is 97% SS construction ( the bottom cap is chromed brass)

I own both a Vamo and an SVD. The MVP2.0 is a much better vape due to the way it outputs power. Also it's more versatile, has a high battery capacity (and relatively small form factor considering its capacity), can be vaped while charging and it is extremely cost effective ($40, no need to buy batteries and a charger.) I think it's the best choice for the newer vaper wanting to check out variable voltage devices.

If you're in the U.S., great pricing and service here:
Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread