• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

>-< *THIS* close to running to the convenience store! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
It's been a good and bad day.

1. Juggy's package arrived: very very good.
2. Coil on last working tank/clearo gave up the ghost: very very bad
3. No idea when replacements will arrive: bad
4. Ditzy neighbor (who knows better) rang bell JUST as I was laying crabby toddler down for nap: BAAAAD
5. Crabby toddler is now on rampage and refuses to nap: bad!
6. Only other atomizing device I own is the clearo that tastes like hot plastic: *sigh* baaaad
7. Said clearo was rinsed clean BEFORE other coil went.... so now I'm frantically trying to warm-dry it for use: kinda crappy
8. Crabby toddler's mood is contagious, and combined with nic-craving (defcon 3), momma's kinda edgy: not good
9. Convenience store with familiar brand of darts is within eye-spy range of my front door: NOT good

Might be in trouble here......:facepalm:

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
I'm sure you can get through it, but whatever happens remember you need to back up your back ups...just in case of such events.

Also don't forget "it's not about the smokes you do have, it's about the ones you've avoided" No one here will fault you for calming your nerves, many of us have had our own slip-ups.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm sure you can get through it, but whatever happens remember you need to back up your back ups...just in case of such events.

Also don't forget "it's not about the smokes you do have, it's about the ones you've avoided" No one here will fault you for calming your nerves, many of us have had our own slip-ups.

Thanks Rolland..... appreciate that kindness, 'cos I'm donning my jacket right away.... I'm so new, I hadn't had time to back up my back ups yet..... orders are placed, but not arrived.... and I might have let that clearo get too warm, as now I can't seem to pull ANY air through it! It's just locked right up! :facepalm: So yes..... I'm running for another pack of darts and praying for more vapemail to come. And then I'm reordering my orders that have yet to even arrive. I'm gonna back up my back-up's back-ups.... Addiction rears her ugly head!!.... *sigh*

Last edited:

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Try backing the clero off the battery a quarter turn, I have a stardust that wont let any air thru if snugged too tightly to the battery

It's rare to pop a coil on a Star Dust (if that's what you have). Try lifting the battery center post or lowering the center post of the clearo. A little distance makes a lot of difference sometimes.

catoliver

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2012
South Carolina
I don't know if I could have even tried to quit smoking when my guys were toddlers, LOL! Good for you!

Don't beat yourself up, no matter what decision you make. Think about all of the cigarettes you haven't smoked!

I took the advice of others here and got back ups for myself. Now, I'm thinking of getting some back ups for those too!

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
UPDATE: I've going to do something kind of crummy.... Two of my friends asked me to get them atomizers too. One has paid, so that one is sacred, and I CANNOT touch it. The other one has not yet reimbursed me, so I'm opening it up and claiming it; desperate times call for desperate measures. I'll try to get him another one.

Rolland & XP 3 - No, the popped coils (if that's actually what I did) are on the 'mizers that came with my eGo-W.... they're different.... and I think I've been rolling the dice with them as I take them apart for cleaning and the coils are a little more brittle each time.... might have to stop doing that, though I got over 3 weeks out of each of them, so that seems to be within reason. And thanks, I'll monkey with the Stardust a little and see if it'll come back to life... but for now, I'm puffing on my "appropriated" 'mizer :laugh:

catoliver - thanks for the encouragement. It was a 911 moment, as my crazy neighbor (who knows better) rang my bell at naptime and as a result my little boy woke up JUST as I was laying him down, and has been on a crabby rampage all afternoon. Something had to give! So glad the stuff I ordered for them was already in so I could pilfer it haha!!

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I have 3 1000mah twists plus a 1300mah echo batt, 4 chargers, 12 stardusts, 8 boge cartos, and 2 vivi nova's, with 4 spare heads. :)

sounds smart after the day I've had..... feeling better though after puffing on my pilfered 'mizer (stolen from the order I got for my friend as I mentioned above haha!)

Question for you: my charger is a wall charger with USB, coupled with a USB cable. If I were to get another USB cable, could I use it with any wall charger that has USB? Like, say, my iPod charger? Are they pretty much a standard output? I'd guess so as they can all plug into any USB computer slot, so it should work.....

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
sounds smart after the day I've had..... feeling better though after puffing on my pilfered 'mizer (stolen from the order I got for my friend as I mentioned above haha!)

Question for you: my charger is a wall charger with USB, coupled with a USB cable. If I were to get another USB cable, could I use it with any wall charger that has USB? Like, say, my iPod charger? Are they pretty much a standard output? I'd guess so as they can all plug into any USB computer slot, so it should work.....

I couldn't say I've never used the wall chargers, only charged thru the laptop. My guess would be probably not as they are specific mah chargers.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I couldn't say I've never used the wall chargers, only charged thru the laptop. My guess would be probably not as they are specific mah chargers.

But that's what's confusing! If my laptop can safely charge my ego batt, OR my ipod, OR my cell phone.... then shouldn't I be able to charge any of those devices with the wall block that came with any of the others? Or does the laptop deliver different draw to different devices?

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
USB outputs at a specified mAh.
USB 2.0 - 5V 500mAh
USB 3.0 - 5V 900mAh

Wall chargers don't have the same (specific) limitation. So, while you'd be able to use any USB cable on any wall charger, some wall chargers may provide too many mAh and potentially break your battery, or worse, cause it to explode. If a battery is rated for 900mAh input charge, and a wall charger is pushing out 1500, it's getting too much too fast. If that same battery is in USB2.0 and only getting 500, it's fine, it will just charge slower.

You'd have to find out what the wall chargers are outputting. I managed to squint and read the ego-c plug and it says 5.0v 500mA out. My iphone plug is 5.0v 1000mA (1A). My Boge Revolution charger is 5.0v 500mA. I wouldn't use my iPhone charger on my ego, but the Boge is okay.

I think. I'm just an artist, but that's how I understand it.

Last edited:

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
USB outputs at a specified mAh.
USB 2.0 - 5V 500mAh
USB 3.0 - 5V 900mAh

Wall chargers don't have the same (specific) limitation. So, while you'd be able to use any USB cable on any wall charger, some wall chargers may provide too many mAh and potentially break your battery, or worse, cause it to explode. If a battery is rated for 900mAh input charge, and a wall charger is pushing out 1500, it's getting too much too fast. If that same battery is in USB2.0 and only getting 500, it's fine, it will just charge slower.

You'd have to find out what the wall chargers are outputting. I managed to squint and read the ego-c plug and it says 5.0v 500mA out. My iphone plug is 5.0v 1000mA (1A). My Boge Revolution charger is 5.0v 500mA. I wouldn't use my iPhone charger on my ego, but the Boge is okay.

I think. I'm just an artist, but that's how I understand it.

SO interesting! So by that logic, if I have something was ok being charged on USB 2.0 from my laptop, it might not fare well if I plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on the same laptop? Wow.... this is good to know!

user808a

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2012
AZ USA
mah = milliamp hour which is not the same as milliamp. mah is how many milliamps the battery can put out in an hour. Milliamp is a measure of electric current. Ego batteries are rated at at 600, 900, 1100, mah and are charged at ~420ma. The cigalikes are charged at ~100mA.

The wall outlet can provide a lot of amps. The wall socket to usb converter limits the current of the wall to the specified output written on the converter, usually 500mA to 1A. The battery charger then converts the output of the wall adapter to 420mA which the ego battery expects, also written on the battery charger.

You just need to be sure that you don't try to pull more amps through a limited device such as plugging a 1amp charging device into a 500mA or 900mA usb port. I don't think this will happen as most device manufacturers know that a usb port can only provide so many mA.

The reason they upgraded the usb 3.0 to a higher output is so that manufacturers could make usb devices that required more energy or so that people could charge multiple devices on the same usb hub. Even though a 3.0 usb plug can provide 900mA it is up to the device how many mA it draws from the port. You can only plug one 420mA charger into a usb 2.0 hub (500mA) where you can plug two 420mA chargers into a 3.0 usb hub(900mA).

A usb 2.0 device will work on a usb 3.0 plug but if a 3.0 device requires more current than a usb 2.0 plug can handle the device will not work.

I am an electrical engineer although sometimes I can be wrong.

Last edited:

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
But that's what's confusing! If my laptop can safely charge my ego batt, OR my ipod, OR my cell phone.... then shouldn't I be able to charge any of those devices with the wall block that came with any of the others? Or does the laptop deliver different draw to different devices?

What plugs into the wall is the voltage adapter (wall wart). What attaches to the eGo is the charger.

Wall adapters are rated in mA or A, batteries are rated by mAh. One ampere (A) equals 1000 milliAmperes (mA) (1.5A=1500mA)

The wall warts only function is to transform 110 volt AC to 5 Volt DC for the USB. Just like you said, it can be used for any USB.

The thing to look for is that the output rating of the wall wart should be more than the output rating of the charger. (charger output is 420 mA for most eGo batteries). The charger will not draw more than it's rated output regardless of the output mA of the wall wart.

The rating of the charger (mA) should be less than the mAh of the battery.

This means that the small 510 stick batteries may be damaged if charged by the 420 mA charger. (If you have any of these batteries.)

These are guidelines only. The Mini 350mAh batteries can be charged with the 420 mA eGo charger. The 180 or 200mAh 510 stick batteries should not be charged with the 420.

The USB on a computer can be used but if there is a malfunction it could damage the computer. This is why most people prefer using a wall wart rather than risk their computer.

I hope this makes sense, if not, ask away!

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
What plugs into the wall is the voltage adapter (wall wart). What attaches to the eGo is the charger.

Wall adapters are rated in mA or A, batteries are rated by mAh. One ampere (A) equals 1000 milliAmperes (mA) (1.5A=1500mA)

The wall warts only function is to transform 110 volt AC to 5 Volt DC for the USB. Just like you said, it can be used for any USB.

The thing to look for is that the output rating of the wall wart should be more than the output rating of the charger. (charger output is 420 mA for most eGo batteries). The charger will not draw more than it's rated output regardless of the output mA of the wall wart.

The rating of the charger (mA) should be less than the mAh of the battery.

This means that the small 510 stick batteries may be damaged if charged by the 420 mA charger. (If you have any of these batteries.)

These are guidelines only. The Mini 350mAh batteries can be charged with the 420 mA eGo charger. The 180 or 200mAh 510 stick batteries should not be charged with the 420.

The USB on a computer can be used but if there is a malfunction it could damage the computer. This is why most people prefer using a wall wart rather than risk their computer.

I hope this makes sense, if not, ask away!

Another vote for iPhone chargers being fine for charging egos.

I used to use egos when I started and I always used iPhone chargers. No problem.

Good idea on appropriating your friend's order. You need it now, he'll need it eventually ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread