Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The study:

Adolescent Exposure to Toxic Volatile Organic Chemicals From E-Cigarettes

Conclusions
Although e-cigarette vapor may be less dangerous than combustible cigarettes, with lower overall exposure to VOC toxicants, with our findings, we challenge the idea that e-cigarette vapor is safe.
Who has ever claimed it's "safe"?

Looking at "TABLE 2 Biomarkers of Nicotine, tobacco-Specific Nitrosamine, and Volatile Organic Toxicants in Exclusive E-Cigarette–Only Users Versus Dual Users and Controls" (it's on the Figures & Data tab), my reaction is "Meh". With the exception of cotinine (D'oh), the numbers found in exclusive vapers don't strike me as hugely different than the controls. Something that really bothers me is that no range is given for the controls. Looking at the stuff further down in the table, where the control also had non-zero values, I really wonder if they're hiding something there, because the range gives you a feel for the margin of error.

I seem to remember a similar study (from Europe I think) comparing adult smokers, adult vapers, and adult controls, which found the levels of stuff in vapers far closer to the controls than to the smokers.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Who has ever claimed it's "safe"?

Looking at "TABLE 2 Biomarkers of Nicotine, Tobacco-Specific Nitrosamine, and Volatile Organic Toxicants in Exclusive E-Cigarette–Only Users Versus Dual Users and Controls" (it's on the Figures & Data tab), my reaction is "Meh". With the exception of cotinine (D'oh), the numbers found in exclusive vapers don't strike me as hugely different than the controls. Something that really bothers me is that no range is given for the controls. Looking at the stuff further down in the table, where the control also had non-zero values, I really wonder if they're hiding something there, because the range gives you a feel for the margin of error.

I seem to remember a similar study (from Europe I think) comparing adult smokers, adult vapers, and adult controls, which found the levels of stuff in vapers far closer to the controls than to the smokers.

Just one example out of many:

New study comes the closest yet to proving that e-cigarettes aren’t as dangerous as smoking

"Not only did e-cigarette users have lower levels of these substances compared to smokers, but they were also found to have very similar levels to people using NRT – something that Shahab is quick to point out is known to be relatively safe.

“We have 3 decades of research into the safety of NRT, and we’ve not picked up any significant long-term health issues,” he says.

"So if e-cigarettes have the same effect on the body as an established stop smoking treatment, then surely we can assume that these products are relatively ‘safe’ too? While nothing can ever be considered completely safe, we can compare it to the other things we experience in our day to day lives."

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
What do you expect from California researchers? " Im surprised out buddy Stan's name isn't on that paper. A study of 100 is just about meaningless.

Stanz is listed on another study released in the same publication, same month (Mar. 2018) in attempt to revived the 'dead' idea that ecigs are a 'gateway' to cigarettes.

Electronic Cigarette Use and Progression From Experimentation to Established Smoking

..despite dozens of studies of late - US and elsewhere - ending in the opposite conclusion.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
..despite dozens of studies of late - US and elsewhere - ending in the opposite conclusion.

A follow up:

Worth a look:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mmissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf

EC= e-cigarette

Go to pg 76: 10. Safety of e-cigarettes in the light of new evidence

"We were asked to review these studies to see if in the light of this new evidence, the conclusions of the PHE 2014 review need to be adjusted. We present below the details of these studies together with any additional data that may assist with their interpretation."

"The EC was puffed by the puffing machine at a higher power and longer puff duration than vapers normally use. It is therefore possible that the e-liquid was overheated to the extent that it was releasing novel thermal degradation chemicals. Such overheating can happen during vaping when the e-liquid level is low or the power too high for a given EC coil or puff duration. Vapers call this phenomenon ‘dry puff’ and it is instantly detected due to a distinctive harsh and acrid taste (it is detected by vapers, but not by puffing machines) [139]. This poses no danger to either experienced or novice vapers, because dry puffs are aversive and are avoided rather than inhaled."

"Although e-liquid can be heated to a temperature which leads to a release of aldehydes, the resulting aerosol is aversive to vapers and so poses no health risk.

Summary

"There is no indication that EC users are exposed to dangerous levels of aldehydes."

Other informative stuff follows to end of page 80 - ie. more on how studies don't resemble real life vaping.

Much of the 'bad stuff' occurs with overheating and the dry puffs that follow that. With many using VG, the viscosity of pure VG can end up clogging many coils. I think (studies should be made on this) that diluting VG with distilled water helps (some eliquid manufacturers do this - Decadent Vapours(DV) and Ecopure have an 80:20 VG to H20 ratio.). This lowers viscosity to around the level of PG and as a result tends to reduce the clinging and clogging on coils where burning can occur.

I use DV's AG (Aqueous Glycerin - an 80:20 ratio of VG:H2O) in all my DIY and add it to some eliquid vendors that don't dilute their VG - BackWoodsBrew and Ahlusion. I've successfully used this same ratio to make "AG" by using NOW VG and distilled water. They blend easily and you end up with longer coil life as a result. And you still get the added vapor that VG gets you.

I'd like to see all VG manufacturers/vendors use this or similar diluting ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread