this is probably a silly ?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Buying premixed nicotene and NOT buying PG, VG and using a calculator is not a great way to make eliquid, lol.

Your PG/VG level and nic level won't be accurate or what you wanted it to be. Flavorings will increase PG % (lowering VG %) and your nic level is also reduced.

Use Ejuice Me Up, buy at least 48 mg nic and PG and VG. Measure with syringes, and not drops. If you want accuracy and the ability to reproduce what you make exactly.

ONE mil syringe= the ability to measure flavorings to the tenth of a millimeter.

TEN + TWENTY mil syringes for nic, pg and vg.

14 gauge blunt tip needles for VG
16 or 18 gauge for nic , pg and flavorings.

You need a lot of blunt tips + syringes and a lot of distilled water to rinse them out REALLY WELL in between each use.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
There are a couple of questions.

How important is the nicotine level?
How important is the PG/VG ratio?

If you can vape 24mg/ml just fine, but have no problems vaping 18mg/ml, or a bit less, and anywhere in between, then starting with 24 and adding flavoring my be just fine. (It would totally screw over my vaping experience so this approach could never work for me.)

The PG/VG ratio changes with adding flavoring too. I'm not a stickler for PG/VG ratios so if it is off, I don't really care, but some folks find this part to be the most important part of their vape.

wandawag

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
jacksonville, florida
the nic level is more important thing to me. i have vaped some at 70/30 i think it was, but that is definitely less important to me. i was going to buy premixed because i thought it would be simpler and safer. i think i could buy premixed with one or the other of vg/pg, then buy some seperately and follow the calculators for the math part....then i would be safe in handling the straight nic. that is what i was thinking....so tell me what i need to do. thanks.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
Methods, Methods. Look around here. Alot. Don't handle the nicotine no matter the %. Don't get it on you in other words. Ever. Gloves a must regardless of %.
Lots of mixing threads. I've been doing some talking in this one http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/417319-ratios-questions.html. Now that I've shown that link and with you asking the questions your asking do not attempt what I'm doing without some experience with much simpler ways. I am showing this because of the VG questions. PG leaves an odor on your breath and a different taste from VG. VG is inately sweet. Taste it. On a finger. VG makes vapor. Tons of it. I can put a cloud around me with an 1100mah eGo and an EVOD tank. All those things are subjective to your preferences. Experiment. Taste it before you vape it. Nicotine levels will change the flavor (acid) perception in the mouth. Throat hit in particular in combination with TA.
24mg/ml will allow you to mix most flavors and stay above 20mg/ml unless you have got real high percentage flavors. Just can't get fancy with it and can't add alot of stuff or nicotine levels drop. Calculator is a must. Do not attempt anything over 24mg/ml without it. You can get poisoned quickly.
Everybody has to start somewhere don't let it daunt you with all this information. Try it. The DIY mixing thread is a real good palce to start.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/12152-make-your-own-juice.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/5066-eliquid-recipes.html

The first link touches on the dangers.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Im certainly one that has talked about and insisted that everyone be safe with nic handling but if you get 24mg nic on your hands as an adult its not going to harm you. I use gloves when I handle anything over 50mg to 60mg. Save yourself some gloves with anything less than 50mg. Just be sure to wash up with cold water.... not hot. Hot water will actually speed nic absorbtion thru the skin because it opens the pores wider.

Safety first of course, but lets not scare people.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
the nic level is more important thing to me. i have vaped some at 70/30 i think it was, but that is definitely less important to me. i was going to buy premixed because i thought it would be simpler and safer. i think i could buy premixed with one or the other of vg/pg, then buy some seperately and follow the calculators for the math part....then i would be safe in handling the straight nic. that is what i was thinking....so tell me what i need to do. thanks.

None of us are handling straight Nic here. Usually we top-out at 100mg/ml which is about 10%.

If the nicotine level is paramont then a mixer usually starts with twice their target level. (I was only able to make the switch to vaping with 48mg/ml juice so 100mg/ml nicotine worked pretty well for me.) This leaves enough room for adding flavoring and PG/VG.

The dillutant for the nicotine is whatever the mixer's preference. Throwing a few recipes and various PG/VG ratios into a calculator will give you a good idea of where it may be the best place to start.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
Anyone considering doing so must bear in mind the following:

Nicotine is an extremely toxic substance - more so than arsenic, milligram for milligram. Its extraction, storage and use in e-liquid pose a significant risk to the user and anyone who might come into contact with it.
Never allow nicotine to touch your skin or allow it to build up in the atmosphere. Always wear suitable protective clothing and keep workspaces well ventilated.
Extreme caution must always be applied in the handling of nicotine, especially where children are concerned - a drop of e-liquid that might make a long-term smoker feel sick will likely kill a child.
All items contaminated by nicotine extraction or e-liquid mixing must be cleaned or disposed of accordingly. Treat it as toxic waste - do not allow it to pollute the environment or remain unattended or unsecured at any time. Contact your local authority to find what provisions there are for hazardous waste disposal before you attempt any e-liquid production.
E-liquid and all substances used in its production must be stored securely away from children and pets and in child-proof bottles.
Appropriate care must be taken to safeguard against fire-hazards. Many ingredients in e-liquid are highly flammable, as are many substances used in the extraction of nicotine.

Even following these guidelines cannot guarantee your safety.

I too handle 24mg/ml without gloves.
Scare people? Best policy is to not handle it period. If that little post I made is going to scare someone what does the header on ECF do I copied up there? It better scare everybody who reads it. Looks like there'd be a few thousand dead folks if it didn't.
I don't understand that and I do not mean to be confrontational.
Safety first. One of the most dangerous natural chemicals on the planet is being discussed here and used by those discussing it.
I probablly do some stuff personally that a professional would not do because it is not considered safe. You can rest assured that just because I do it wrong does not mean that I will instruct anyone to do it my wrong way when there is a correct way. If anyone is using it they need to know the correct way regardless of whether they or I do it or not.
Lot's of opinions here and that's a good thing and as I said above I do not intend to be confrontational.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There are a couple of questions.

How important is the nicotine level?
How important is the PG/VG ratio?

Right on Hoosier.

Because the Answers to these Two Questions can have a Profound Effect on how Easy or How Hard DIY can be for the Average DIY-er.

If a Person was willing to use a Nicotine Level that deviates Slightly from say 24mg, they could just Buy 24mg Pre-Made Nicotine Base and just add Flavoring/Sweetener. Wow... DIY just got a Whole Lot Easier. The same goes for the PG/VG Ratio.

Now if you Just Have to have Exactly 24mg at Exactly some PG/VG Ratio, then DIY becomes a Bit Harder and is going to Involve Measuring Everything to the same Exactness as the Resulting e-Liquid.

And isn't something like 24mg an Arbitrary Number Anyway? Who says that a Person has to use 24mg?

If retailers had sold e-Liquids using Non-Scalar Multiples of 2 or 3 for Nicotine Levels in the First Place, like 21.5mg, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Don't get me Wrong. There is something to be said for a Person who wants to Measure Everything down to the +/- .01ml Level. Or for someone who has a Lot of Time and Doesn't Mind Washing a Small Array of Syringes, Pipettes, Graduated Cylinders and what not.

But I'd rather Vape a 21.5mg 67.3%VG|32.7%PG e-Liquid that was Much Easier to make.

Last edited:

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
zoiDman
That's how I started mixing. I bought juice components the day I ordered my first ecig. Had already bought some. And, wife works at HUMCO. Since we've gone here on this thread already the stuff in a 32-36 mg/ml range is better. You can do more with your flavors at this level. That's how I made my first mixes. But I did start with 100 mg/ml VG nic base and cut it to 36 mg/ml PG30/VG70 nic base. I used that as a base for everything. I just added flavor and didn't worry about the nic level. I have since realized there is much more to it and have Gone to the Darkside I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread