atatatyn.jpg

I don't even know what brand this is. It was about $5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
That looks just like the Smoktech RDA I got. How I've done it, is use 2mm ekowool folded in half and wrap 32 gauge kanthal wire around it 6 times... next time I'm doing five.. it registered at 2.6 ohms I want to be around 1.8-2.2 ohms. Then I moved all the coils as close as I could with tweezers to make the coils as close together and evenly spaced apart as I could. I then put the two ends into the little holes Positive and negative posts and tightened down the screws. Tested the ohms to make sure it registers. Make sure the coil is not touching the bottom of the base, wrapped the end of the wick around the screws and put some juice on. Then lined the airhole up with the airhole on the base. Not sure If this helped.

PS I tried a double coil on this RDA and it was so tight no air was getting to the coils. So I didn't do so well on that one either. I stuck with single coils and it's working again.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
Oh boy.. for the clouds I hear it's all about sub ohms.. but you have to be careful with batteries and many regulated mods like my MVP2 will not fire any ohms under 1 ohm. So I'm hearing the next best thing for cloud chasing is micro coils. Might want to look into that. You can get your coils to 1.5 ohms and it vapes like a sub ohm but you can use on regulated mods. well that is what I've read. Haven't tried it yet!

It's all about tastes. Some people really like using cotton. I haven't had luck with it yet. But silica appears to be the norm especially for those just beginning.

Jayviator

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Astoria, Oregon
I would go with a micro coil. Since I started making micro coils, I've loved it. I run 28g 11 wrap micro coils at 1.6 ohms in my kayfun. You could probably do a 6 - 8 wrap with 30g in that RDA. Just make sure you torch the coil first. Hardens it up so you don't mess up your coil when installing it. Rip tripper has a good micro coil tutorial on you tube if you decide to go that route.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
I'd slap a micro, 1.2-1.5 ohms on that sucker if I were you, and save any sub-ohm adventures for your Trident. Real easy to short out on that cap with such a tiny RDA if you're not very careful. And I definitely wouldn't recommend a dualie.

You don't need a torch to get a good micro. Just wrap onto your drill bit of choice, keeping your wraps as close as possible. Install your coil and get a pair of needle-nose pliers ready. Fire your mech until the coils glow, release the fire button, and then as the glow is fading, pinch your coils *gently* together with the pliers. Repeat three or four times until your coils are touching and glowing from the inside out when you fire. DO NOT touch the coils with your pliers while you are firing. I repeat, DO NOT do that. And again, DO NOT touch the coil while you are firing. Trust me on this... :D

Techinique demonstrated starting at 3:30 HERE

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I'm hoping the bigger platform will be much easier to build! I have a phoenix V6 on it's way to me which has 3 posts instead of two. so it's designed to have dual coils. I think your trident is the same. I'm going to have to give the micro coil a shot, but I need to get a torch!

You can achieve dual coils by double winding...(wind 2 strands at once)
Just be very careful and do the math...

You can also thread in a coil from each side of the two posts.

Don't overdrain your battery or pull too many amps:
Ohm's Law Calculator

Never let the battery get below 2 volts...EVER. 3.4v or so is generally a good time to change the battery (it'll be lower than that when under load).

Your choice of coil type will have much to do with what size wire you have at hand, the size of your air-hole, and wick material.

You can get any of it to vape well...it's about balance between wick, coil, and air.

Last edited:

Steevo95

Sep 18, 2013
San Diego
This is why I get intimidated. Lol. I guess for now ill go with a micro coil in it and mess with that! I currently don't have any wire. Or wick. That's why my next question is: what size and kind of wire should I get? When I tried to build a coil today, my problem was trying to not smash it while installing it.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
You can achieve dual coils by double winding...(wind 2 strands at once)
Just be very careful and do the math...

You can also thread in a coil from each side of the two posts.

Don't overdrain your battery or pull to many amps:
Ohm's Law Calculator

Never let the battery get below 2 volts...EVER. 3.4v or so is generally a good time to change the battery (it'll be lower than that when under load).

Your choice of coil type will have much to do with what size wire you have at hand, the size of your air-hole, and wick material.

You can get any of it to vape well...it's about balance between wick, coil, and air.

Thank you! I just need more practice. This small RDA doesn't leave much room for anything but a single coil as I found out, the air doesn't flow around the dual coils pretty much at all! I'll wait for the bigger RDA to show up to try my hand again at a double coil! Had no idea I could double wrap a wire. But I really don't want to ruin my batteries. For me it's all about flavors!

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
This is why I get intimidated. Lol. I guess for now ill go with a micro coil in it and mess with that! I currently don't have any wire. Or wick. That's why my next question is: what size and kind of wire should I get? When I tried to build a coil today, my problem was trying to not smash it while installing it.

If you want to do single coil micro coils in the 1 Ohm range 28 AWG is good. This stuff is pretty thick but has really low resistance.

Just as an example, you'll need about 2.5 inches at 1/16 wind of it to get in the 1 Ohm neighborhood and have some legs to work with. That'd be from 8 to 12 wraps on a 1/16 bit.

If you want simple loose 4 to 5 wrap coils, 33 or 34 is good...this stuff is really thin tho' so it will be tough to make a micro out of. These will give you coils in the 2.5 to 3 Ohm neighborhood. Easy and safe to work with...easy on battery life. This type of set up generaly works better for me with a 'small air hole' and tight draw.

For the more complex multiple coil stuff....remember that every coil you add will seriously cut down on the resistance and can 'double or more' the current drain on your battery. You'll probably want to first try regular coils with some of the higher resistance wire (32 - 34) if you really really want to try multiple coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread