ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina

wllmc

Moved On
Oct 29, 2013
colorado springs co
you will need 30ga, kanthal wire to build a 1.5 ohm coil. six or seven wraps on a 1/16" bit. 28ga. is for subohm builds. get a meter. get some 30ga. and tasteyourjuice.com

I vape one ohm to 1.5 ohms all the time in 28 gauge More wraps more surface area better flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickHeyes

May 12, 2014
Nelson Lancs
You need something like a sewing needle to place under your wick and don't wrap the coil too tight or you'll strangle the flow of liquid. I've done a fair few coils now and as above, you need a meter of some kind. I have a 20+ year old Academy PG-010 but it works so I don't care. For bottom feeding coils three turns on 3mm silica with .15 Kanthal wire is around 2.6 to 3ohms. The further the coil from the battery then things change so a meter is needed.

Just burn the new wire with a lighter first. Some companies sell varnished wire and a good burn before you make it will get rid of it.

Expect a few shorts as you're new to it but carry on. It saves lots of money :)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I've resisted all urges to build without a meter. I plan on going out today and getting one. Then I'm going to make a coil how the guy at the shop said and check it and will post the results. Thanks for all the advice.

Welcome, and WISE DECISION!!!!! I just started building my own coils this week, and I'm at least checking them on my VV3 or MVP2.... I don'ts wants to get blowed up :)

jbish86

May 19, 2014
Chicago
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400793506.841037.jpg here is a pic

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
I've resisted all urges to build without a meter. I plan on going out today and getting one. Then I'm going to make a coil how the guy at the shop said and check it and will post the results. Thanks for all the advice.

Well, Good on Ya! If you are going to do it, you have to do it right.

Looks like you have been bitten by the coil building bug. There are always going to be a few hiccups along the way but, when you build that coil that blows your socks off, there is no better gratification other than finding that perfect juice to go along with it.

Congratulations and enjoy the ride!.......:D

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
You're going to need to wrap it around something larger and/or add more wraps, and you're definitely not going to get to 4-5 ohms. Smaller wire is the only way to do that. Have you thought about trying to get to 3 ohms per coil? That will give you a good 1.5 ohm dual build, which is a good place to start with two coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread