This scared me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanjo

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2012
CHITOWN!
I've seen quite a few of those type of commercials on tv lately. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies where the ghost of xmas present says "Sometimes you have to smack them in the face to get their attention"

I used tyo switch channels when one of "stop smoking" commercials come on, so my kids and wife won't nag me.
Now that I am a vaper, I am glad for the e-cig.

Chris77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Fishers, IN
How I responded to fear ads as a smoker:

1. Anxiety goes up after seeing ad
2. Smoke a cigarette to calm myself

Years of watching/hearing/reading such ads has never made me up and quit cold turkey. I'm 34 years old, which means that for my entire life I've been well aware of the consequences of smoking. This ad would not have stopped me from lighting my first cigarette - at 15 I was invincible, as we all are at 15.

I hate this ad, and these sorts of ads in general. I don't believe they do anything to help the population and are nothing more than a waste of tax payer's dollars. Putting warnings on packs and pictures of dead corpses don't work either. I simply do not believe you can scare someone into quitting. If anything you're probably just taking time off that person's life by increasing their overall level of anxiety.

QUIT SMOKING
IT IS BAD FOR YOU
IT CAN KILL YOU
IT CAN LEAD TO BIRTH DEFECTS IN NEWBORNS

Yet the FDA still allows it to be sold.

Yes, and the craziest thing is that some countries are trying to ban e cigs, whilst continuing to allow tobacco cigs. I mean really no logic to it is there. I imagine that the tobacco companies (& NRT pharma companies) have a hand in legislations trying to get rid of the new competition...but then again I am partial to a good conspiracy theory, so who knows.

Last edited:

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com
That blows my mind.

Yes, and the craziest thing is that some countries are trying to ban e cigs, whilst continuing to allow tobacco cigs. I mean really no logic to it is there. I imagine that the tobacco companies (& NRT pharma companies) have a hand in legislations trying to get rid of the new competition...but then again I am partial to a good conspiracy theory, so who knows.

seabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2012
WI
I agree. I always want to have a cigarette after I see one of these ads just to spite them. I think they do nothing except make the perception of smokers even worse.
How I responded to fear ads as a smoker:

1. Anxiety goes up after seeing ad
2. Smoke a cigarette to calm myself

Years of watching/hearing/reading such ads has never made me up and quit cold turkey. I'm 34 years old, which means that for my entire life I've been well aware of the consequences of smoking. This ad would not have stopped me from lighting my first cigarette - at 15 I was invincible, as we all are at 15.

I hate this ad, and these sorts of ads in general. I don't believe they do anything to help the population and are nothing more than a waste of tax payer's dollars. Putting warnings on packs and pictures of dead corpses don't work either. I simply do not believe you can scare someone into quitting. If anything you're probably just taking time off that person's life by increasing their overall level of anxiety.

DWG505

Moved On
Apr 20, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

I've read in several places that the loophole for big tobacco when it comes to FDA regulation and other legislation is that tobacco is a "natural product," whereas e cigs are manufactured. Although, the added chemicals in tobacco are definitely not natural.
But yep, lots of people agree with you.

mrgoodwrench2u

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Toledo, Ohio . U.S.A.
You know the FDA and the government really don't want you to quit do they?
Maybe heath officials and such. But you know they are making Millions and Millions in Taxes, all the little stikers on the bottom of every single pack , proves that state has paid and then you pay. States and the Government would lose a lot of money if everyone quit smoking and started vaping ,Then I'm sure they would some how Tax vaping ,the e-cigs, e-liquid
,something to get their Tax money.
Just a thought that seems could turn to reality .
I think Vaping saves lives, as a nicotine delivery system ! ! !

Best Wishes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread