Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
6DaEeM0.jpg

I need it! I wanted to ask, is this something that was specifically created for vaping? Or is it something that was repurposed for vaping?

The reason I ask is it would be awesome if I could just stop by a hardware store and pick one up. Any ideas?

vape Happy,
Cullin Kin

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I have a set, and loan them out to those that don't have anything... but my main coil tools these days are an authentic set of Kuro Koilers by Kuro Concepts. The originals are not cheap, but they are premium quality... just like everything Jon makes.
If you're on a budget, there are clones... the best set I've found is this particular SKU at FastTech.

Reactions: six

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I'd like to know that, too!

Edit: What's it called?

On all the Vape sites it's called a Coil Jig, but so is everything else that helps wrap coils lol. It's an awesome tool though.

@everyone Thanks for posting. I know they are available online from quite a few different vendors. lol I just wanted to know if they were some sort of repurposed tool for vaping I could pick up at the hardware store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thayamax

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Mactechvaper (I think that's how he spells his username) is insanely into precision tools. If anyone knows the tools original purpose and name, he's likely to know it. Send him a pm. He's usually a friendly, helpful guy.

Tapatyped

Thank you!!!! I will!!

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I have a set, and loan them out to those that don't have anything... but my main coil tools these days are an authentic set of Kuro Koilers by Kuro Concepts. The originals are not cheap, but they are premium quality... just like everything Jon makes.
If you're on a budget, there are clones... the best set I've found is this particular SKU at FastTech.

I had planned to pick this particular item up tomorrow. Sorry to derail but I'd like to know if it will produce tension coils?

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I had planned to pick this particular item tomorrow. Sorry to derail but I'd like to know if it will produce tension coils?
Nothing is applying any tension to the wire as it is wrapped except for your hands so it is not a true tension coil. You can make a contact coil if thats what you are referring to.

Reactions: VictorViper

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I had planned to pick this particular item up tomorrow. Sorry to derail but I'd like to know if it will produce tension coils?
Yes, the Kuro Koiler does apply a modest tension, but more importantly, it is consistent... as opposed to hand coiling on a bare shaft, where tension applied can be fairly random, depending on the individual and the tool used to hold the wrap end of the wire strand.

User instructions and a video can be found at the Kuro / VaporDNA link in my first post.

If you want to control tension to a greater degree, refer to the Super X Drifter thread on the subject.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Thanks guys. I had actually planned to build up the DIY version of the tension jig as presented by @turbocad6, but it'll likely take a little time to source the parts for it without dropping $50, so I figured this would do a good enough job in the meantime. Light-but-even tension is definitely better than my current finger-shredding technique!

[EDIT] Thanks for mentioning the video, I hadn't scrolled all the way down and totally missed it!

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks guys. I had actually planned to build up the DIY version of the tension jig as presented by @turbocad6, but it'll likely take a little time to source the parts for it without dropping $50, so I figured this would do a good enough job in the meantime. Light-but-even tension is definitely better than my current finger-shredding technique!

[EDIT] Thanks for mentioning the video, I hadn't scrolled all the way down and totally missed it!

Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making :thumbs:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
6DaEeM0.jpg

I need it! I wanted to ask, is this something that was specifically created for vaping? Or is it something that was repurposed for vaping?

The reason I ask is it would be awesome if I could just stop by a hardware store and pick one up. Any ideas?

Vape Happy,
Cullin Kin
If you are not willing to buy online, your best bet should be something like Hobby-Lobby or Michael's. I do not know for sure, but wire craft is quite popular, so may be they carry out something like this:
Small Wire Wrap Jump Ring Mandrel | Fusion Beads

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Calibrated mandrels have been around for hundreds of years, they come in many different sizes, and serve many different needs. I don't think any industry could claim ownership of the idea.

I have as set (for checking carburetor jet sizes) that looks almost identical to those, and their probably 40 years old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread