Thoughts of building my first mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China
I began vaping with a K-go from Hoosier, and then I graduated onto a Ipro. Now I feel like I am ready to venture into modding even though I am not knowledgeable in electronic engineering at all. To start off I want to build a Variable Voltage mod using 18650 in series cheaply since I am currently a college student without a job and I was wondering would it be possible to build one with the vv kit from Madvapes. Another thing I am curious about is how to connect a voltmeter into it since I cannot find a schematic/tutorial that shows how to. Also I was wondering if a knob could be placed on the potentiometer from that kit, and what other buttons would work since the button that comes with the kit looks basic and unappealing. I would also like to know how to also connect a LED into the mod using that set up.

Project Box 134x70mm with battery door, Bone

Project Box 4.5 x 2.75 x 1 with battery door, Black

I was wondering which box would be best for this intended build these two are ones that caught my eye while surfing Mad Vapes.
Another question I have is where could I look more in depth at the electronic knowledge I need for building mods?

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China
Good luck...to build a viable VV mod you need to use quality parts....and you need to know what your doing inside and out..lol...most modders dont start out building a VV box mod...so again...Good Luck
Yea I know lol but I am the type of person to jump into things instead of just dipping a toe in the water.

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
:D

c0208.gif
Hi BJ

:lol:

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China
The ACDC v2.1 uses the 4" x 2" x 1" project box from Radio Shack. Trustfire 'Flames' 14500s last me ~10 hours (probably a bit longer, but I haven't kept close track on the time :blush: :D). I have some gray Ultrafires which don't last nearly as long.
Ah ok I will look at radio shack then hopefully they have a white version since for some odd reason I want the mod to be white :?: .Yea that's one reason why I would like to look into 18650s since I already have to charge my 14430s for my Ipro every day lol. Eh for me my German blood went too far and when I got my Ipro and the two sets of batteries I did tests of how long the batteries lasted at my vape pace lol I want to put a VM in the mod but I read your post in your thread did anything else give you a problem besides the epoxy during installation ?

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Ah ok I will look at radio shack then hopefully they have a white version since for some odd reason I want the mod to be white :?: .Yea that's one reason why I would like to look into 18650s since I already have to charge my 14430s for my Ipro every day lol. Eh for me my German blood went too far and when I got my Ipro and the two sets of batteries I did tests of how long the batteries lasted at my vape pace lol I want to put a VM in the mod but I read your post in your thread did anything else give you a problem besides the epoxy during installation ?

I still have trouble coloring inside the lines :D. The only problem I had with the VM was making the hole too large and then trying to clean up after that. Someone had suggested making the hole for the VM undersized and using a file to finish the hole. I'm going to try that for the next mod I put a VM in.
I may try fitting a piece of Plexiglas in the VM "window". Now where'd I put that caulk gun?

ETA:
I don't think Radio Shack has white project boxes. For my first "ACDC" mod I used this off-white box from eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2pcs-Pl...lectrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item2a14ebd7d3

Last edited:

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China
I still have trouble coloring inside the lines :D. The only problem I had with the VM was making the hole too large and then trying to clean up after that. Someone had suggested making the hole for the VM undersized and using a file to finish the hole. I'm going to try that for the next mod I put a VM in.
I may try fitting a piece of Plexiglas in the VM "window". Now where'd I put that caulk gun?
Ah well at least it was just a measurement problem. Just wondering have you ever worked with the board that is sold on the madvapes site? If so how would I go about connecting a volt meter into the mod ? Since all the wiring besides trying to include the vm seems easy.

FenrisKomplex

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Shanghai, China
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread