Thoughts on the 1.8-2.0 oHm coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Just got a pack a these when I ordered some Fusion.

Any suggestions on what liquids to use or NOT use with these on a 400/900mAh Triton?
(saw in another post they're good for the "clearer" liquids. So, guess nothing heavy like Belgian Cocoa or Cafe Mocha, but other stuff is o.k.?)

& (stupid question:facepalm:) but is it essentially the same as using the 2.2-2.4oHm on a higher voltage with the VV?
Essentially just a simple matter of final wattage, right?
(I would not be putting these on a VV at all, probably... just got em thinking they'd gimme a bit more -SHAZAM!- on my regular batteries. Me likey lotsa Flavor & Vapor :vapor::drool:)

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
There's two ways to lower the resistance of a coil:
1) use a higher gauge wire
2) use fewer loops to make the coil

I don't believe that most coils use #2; there is a need for a large surface area in order for the e-liquid to vaporize correctly.

The interesting thing about different gauges, is how it increases the mass of the coil; some of the heat gets transferred right away, and because the coil is "bigger", there's a higher capacity for more heat to be transferred.

Many here on ECF's mech mod forum point to a 28 gauge coil wire as "ideal" (unless you're trying to get unusually massive clouds) but I don't know for sure if the standard coil uses that 28 gauge coil wire. While a bigger wire results in a slightly larger surface area, it doesn't make up for the hotter temperature.

So the general advice is right; if you go below the standard, some juices that have flavorings that are particularly temperature sensitive will leave a burnt taste, regardless of the voltage you apply.

That's the theory, at least. I've never tried lower ohm'ed coils, although I've had a few standard ones short in the middle area.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
Uh... so throw em in the garbage?
Come on, there's gotta be a practical use for the 1.8's in a Triton setup.
28-gauge vs 30-gauge ... tom-a-to tom-ah-to.
I know this'd CLEARLY be relevant to someone with a rebuildable mod setup.:D
But I'm just trying to get some general advice on Liquids that would benefit from this level of resistance (with Whatever-gauge wire is in there), or what Liquids NOT to use with 1.8's.
Maybe I should just experiment blindly and set some more $$$ ablaze?
- Sorry bout the sarcasm, I'd just prefer not to scorch any Liquid or fry any wicks/coils unnecessarily;)-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread