Thread problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
I'm having an awful time with my V2 using ego mega carts from smoktek. The carts act like the threading on the Vamo is stripped, but it isn't. I have to shove down on the cart while screwing it on to get the cart to thread onto the Vamo.

1) Is anyone else having this problem?

2) Is there a fix for it?

Any ideas?

Many thanks...

Tim

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you are talking about the 510 SMOKTech Dual Coil Mega Cartomizer, I have never used them myself, but that being said, manufacturing quality control from China is not the best. I have had numerous cartos from Smok Tech that are sometimes difficult to thread, that is why I always keep an Air Controller on top of my device (Vamo V2) to avoid damaging the threads. I suggest trying a different Dual Mega Carto and see if they all are manufactured that way. If so you just need to be ultra careful when installing them.

Best Wishes
The Wabbit

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
Usually threads won't work on adapters either, this is the problem, stripped threads !

Correct. I have 510 to 510 adapters. No joy there. This is very disappointing. Someone in another thread mentioned "drilling it out then heli-coil" it. Is that a joke? I don't know what it means.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
Do yourself a favor and pick up a 510-510 or 510-Ego adapter... It'll solve most of your problems with threading stuff on the Vamo...

My local vape shop sells a $3 adapter that is 510 to ego on the outside and 510 to 510 on the inside of the top part - best of both worlds.

:)

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
tdtyler..... heli-coil is a repair kit for damaged threads. Another name I've heard for them are "thread inserts". I've used them to repair messed up threads on various parts of my old backhoe, but you can do the same thing with smaller things like the 510 conn as long as you can find the right sized inserts. Google "heli-coil" and you will find all sorts of info. I saw one really good video about how to make a repair with them as well. Hope this helps.......

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
tdtyler..... heli-coil is a repair kit for damaged threads. Another name I've heard for them are "thread inserts". I've used them to repair messed up threads on various parts of my old backhoe, but you can do the same thing with smaller things like the 510 conn as long as you can find the right sized inserts. Google "heli-coil" and you will find all sorts of info. I saw one really good video about how to make a repair with them as well. Hope this helps.......

Yes! Thank you very much. Now I get it.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Interesting. I have an old tap and die set that I inherited from my grandfather. I haven't used it in years.

I'm assuming that the connection is metric, so my set probably won't be useful in this application.

The ID size of the 510 connector is 5mm, correct?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I honestly do not know what the ID size of the 510 conn is. I know I have seen it as well as the thread pitch somewhere on this forum. Maybe in the modding section? I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Yep, from a stick in the modding section, 510 Tap & Die 7mm x .5.

The sticky itself:

taps-dies-901-801-510

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Duplicate Post: I posted this on another thread.

Stripped Threads Follow-up:

Vamo Body Parts

This is where you can get the Vamo "Top Cap" for $3.99 plus $3.00 shipping. Although my V2 is OK for now, it is a year old and I ordered a new top cap, just in case. If any of you want to fool around with removing the cap and replacing the threads, this is the answer. They are in Mediapolis, Iowa, not China.

Edit: Ordered this AM and already shipped by this afternoon!

The Wabbit

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Vicflo, I should have thought of that and taken the rest to Vape Con East next week to sell outside. I could have saved some $.

Anyway, mine came just today and it even has two little "nubs" on the bottom in order to solder the wires to the base. As I said before, I am saving this for the day when my threads finally give out. They are just loose right now, but my Vamo V2 is a year old and I change tanks many times a day. The new threads work great on my tanks, so I guess my theory on the carto threads not being perfect was wrong.

The Wabbit

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Success: My threads were becoming very very sloppy, so I went ahead and proceeded to replace the cap I purchased.

1. The top was VERY difficult to remove, but wrapping my Vamo in a leather shammey and placing it in a vice to hold it steady, I used vice grips on the top and kept wiggling and wiggling. It finally came off without damage to the Vamo.

2. The new top comes with two "nubs" so soldering the wires back on was tedious, but went well.

3. The new top diameter was not quite as large, so it was very loose. I secured it with one small drop of Loctiite Super Glue and it seems to be holding up well. Everything works just like new.

As long as you have the tools and the patience, this should make your Vamo last another year or two.

Best Wishes, Good Luck Tinkering.

The Old Wabbit

flatom

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
got antsy... ordered 3 so its free shipping. came out to like $11.97 shipped.

You got a good deal. I just pre-ordered a replacement top head from ecigaretteimpressions.com since they're currently out of stock. ETA 11/18/2013. The price is now $5.99 for chrome or black chrome, $6.99 for brushed steel. Though the shopping cart page says free shipping with orders over $10, the shopping cart does not remove the shipping charge until the order is over $20.

The thread issue is the only fault I've found with the V2 in the 5 months I've had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread