Threads on VTR giving up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I have a VTR that I have really enjoyed, but the 510 threads are starting to go away. It seems like the metal is very soft to me. No tank has been cross-threaded(which would be hard to do with the cage holding the tank exactly straight). You can still put a tank on it and it will recognize the tank and give you the ohms reading and it will put power to the tank. But if you try to tighten the tank the threads will slip and I know that is going to remove more metal to the point it would not work at all.
I am thinking about using one of the Air Flow Controllers like this link.
Smoktech Tank Airflow controller
Maybe screw or pin the controller to the swivel piece that has the female 510 threads. Then I could use the 510 threads in the controller.
Has anyone tried to remove that piece?
Any other ideas?

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
The damage may already be done to your threads but I use these even on my old ego's
510 to eGo Adapter Convertor for E-Cigarette

For as cheap as they are just throw them out if the threads ever go bad. I tighten it pretty tight on the mod so that it doesn't generally come off when I unscrew a tank. I've heard some people use that when threading on there mod starts to go bad but I'm using mine just to protect the original threads.

I've never used an Airflow controller but from the image it looks like it will do exactly the same thing but also allow you the ability to control airflow. I guess $1 vs $4 isn't going to bankrupt you either way.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
A lot of Vamo users are using airflow controllers. I'm surprised to hear this of a VTR. I was thinking that would be my next (more reliable)mod.
I wasn't expecting this to happen either. I have not heard of anyone having this problem. I may of have been something I did, but I don't think so. Who knows!!!! I did drop it last week onto carpet that was over a concrete floor from about 3 foot. The fall did not put a mark on it and it kept right on working. Today I noticed the loose threads?????

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
The damage may already be done to your threads but I use these even on my old ego's
510 to eGo Adapter Convertor for E-Cigarette

For as cheap as they are just throw them out if the threads ever go bad. I tighten it pretty tight on the mod so that it doesn't generally come off when I unscrew a tank. I've heard some people use that when threading on there mod starts to go bad but I'm using mine just to protect the original threads.

I've never used an Airflow controller but from the image it looks like it will do exactly the same thing but also allow you the ability to control airflow. I guess $1 vs $4 isn't going to bankrupt you either way.

I use one of the air flow controllers to protect the threads on my Evic. I think the advantage of it is it is shorter and about the same diameter as a protank or a Kayfun Lite. You do lose the use of the Ego clone threads however.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
So, does the VTR not have a warranty? If it is reasonabily new, why would you not return it and have it repaired or replaced.
I had considered buying one for my wife (she's a mod collector, apparently). She already has 5 PVs and hasn't been vaping for that many months, LOL. But if Smoktech doesn't back their products, I don't need 'em.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
So, does the VTR not have a warranty? If it is reasonabily new, why would you not return it and have it repaired or replaced.
I had considered buying one for my wife (she's a mod collector, apparently). She already has 5 PVs and hasn't been vaping for that many months, LOL. But if Smoktech doesn't back their products, I don't need 'em.

Yes I am sure they will fix or replace it under warranty. I just love to tinker with my devices and I normally put the air flow controllers on all my mods to protect the threads as all the tanks I use have to be removed to fill them from the bottom, so I am screwing them on and off a lot. This does work on the small 510 threads.
As I said in one of my replies I did drop this VTR last week and that may have started the problem.
I am not dissatisfied with the VTR at all and will probably be getting another one in the future.
I am going to be doing some extensive modifications to this one. I use Kayfun Lites a lot and they will not fit through the "cage" at the top of which the tank goes through. I am going to cut the cage off and replace it with a larger one so I can use the Kayfun Lites.

Last edited:

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
No problems here but I just tighten my atty down until the ring turns, I had assumed it was like that to prevent any over tightening.

I am sure I did not over tighten the tank. Like you, I just tighten the tank until the ring turns. I dropped this VTR last week and that may have started the problem???

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Has to be over tightening or leaving the top unit slippy loose. This is a common problem on a lot of China mods.
Now I always use an air flow regulator or a Tank support.

I can assure you it was not from over tightening or leaving the tank loose. I did discover something else tonight about this problem. I have been using the Iclear 30s tank and a Protank2 tank with this VTR. Both of these tanks only have threads on the bottom 2/3s of the male 510 at the bottom of them. The threads are the worst in the bottom of the female 510 threads on the mod. The threads above this point are not good, but not as bad as the bottom threads. If the tanks had been over tighten or left loose the top female threads would not be like they are. They would be in good condition.
What I saw when I first noticed the problem was what looked like a dark gray mud like substance inside the female threads, on the Protank male threads and around the top of the female threads. This mud like substance was very wet.
This may be crazy, but I had very strong cinnamon juice in the Protank and I know some of it leaked out the bottom of the tank from where I left the mod in the cold car for a few hours last night and then returned it inside the warm house. The tank flooded pretty good. Another guy I know lost the threads on one of his mods using this same juice I found out tonight. I am thinking this juice eat or effected the metal that the female threads is made of. The female threads on this mod have been very tight feeling right up until this happened.
This is the only explanation I can come up with and it may not be correct, but I can find no other reason for it to happen. This has really been a puzzle to me. I know a little about mechanical things as I am a retired engineer. I don't like to have problems and not know for sure what causes them.

bigrf85

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
jax, fl
I have a VTR that I have really enjoyed, but the 510 threads are starting to go away. It seems like the metal is very soft to me. No tank has been cross-threaded(which would be hard to do with the cage holding the tank exactly straight). You can still put a tank on it and it will recognize the tank and give you the ohms reading and it will put power to the tank. But if you try to tighten the tank the threads will slip and I know that is going to remove more metal to the point it would not work at all.
I am thinking about using one of the Air Flow Controllers like this link.
Smoktech Tank Airflow controller
Maybe screw or pin the controller to the swivel piece that has the female 510 threads. Then I could use the 510 threads in the controller.
Has anyone tried to remove that piece?
Any other ideas?

how long have you had your vtr ive ad mine a week ad had no suspicions of the threads causing problems sorry to hear your problem mine so far at least seem to be pretty sturdy maybe try contacting inokin or where you got it from just to see if they will do anything for you maybe even offer repair services

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Only threaded on bottom 1/3
Bottom threads worse

Okay

If you prefer to assume e-liquid is ACID - okay.:)

I do not believe I said or assumed e-liquid is ACID. And I said the tanks had threads on the bottom 2/3s. I just don't know what happened in this situation and I posted what I saw and know on the forum looking for some help and advice.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
How long since the VTR has been released? More soft threads? Does anyone know of which PVs have the best threads hard metal?

Sounds like a pain everytime i read another thread with this issue it makes me more likely not to buy anything other than selling the house for a PV that will actually last!

Whats the point of a SS case when the threads get stripped, trigger switch fails or the 510 insulator breaks down in a short space of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Only a suggestion - may save the mod.
Not sure the brand or availability, but Check this video and see if you can get the Air flow controller. Leave it on as a permanent adapter.

It is a higher end piece and should last.

Thanks for the video. I had not seen this one.
I looked for the high end one Phil showed in the video and found the manufacturer, but could not find anyone that sells it. It is made in Europe.
The other 510 air flow controller he showed is available at many US online vendors. They are made by Smoktech. I actually have one of these on my Evic because the threads on it have always felt loose. I do not use if for flow control, but only for using it's 510 threads instead of the Evic's threads.
I tried the one from my Evic and it will not tighten up on the damaged threads on the VTR.
However, I am going to order another of these Smoktech air flow controllers and fasten it to the VTR with small screws. That will be a forever fix for my thread problem I believe.
I have a clone of a King mechanical mod that has very loose feeling threads and so I have not used it yet. I will also order another of these air flow controllers for it and a couple of spares to have on hand.
At $3.49 each they are probably good insurance on any mod and I think I will start using them on everything just to be sure.

Also saw on this forum last night that the Smoktech air flow controller top and botton sections are screwed together with Ego clone threads. It appears Ego clone thread tanks like a Mini Protank could be used also by just removing the top section of the air flow controller. I tried that with my Mini Protank and the center positive post didn't make a good connection, but I didn't play around with it to see if I could get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread