Three Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
1. Where do I get the absolute highest quality PG and VG? I'm not concerned with price really. I just want to make sure that I am going to start with the best quality possible for a base.

2. Is this stuff safe for vaping?
FRO-31065-0.jpg
I make raw chocolate as a hobby and occasionally use this organic/alcohol free flavoring. I have had great luck with it as a flavoring for chocolate. Has anyone tried this for e liquid?

3. Is there a thread somewhere on how to make flavor extractions? I was thinking of extracting from fruit peels, vanilla beans, edible flowers, ect. Seems great in theory, but I'm not sure what the process would be like to make them vape safe.
Sorry if these are trivial questions, I want to get into DIY but know very little. I have been, and will continue to read the many primer threads on these forums before I even begin to attempt making my own juice.
Thanks!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
You do not want to vape oils, so be sure the flavors you use are water soluble. you can do extractions, but watch for oils because it is not healthy to vape them.

To do extraction flavors, fill a 30 ml glass bottle with something like tea leaves or coffee, fill rest of bottle with PG. Nuke in microwave for 10 seconds, let cool, fill up bottle with more PG as it has been absorbed into the leaves/grounds etc. Cap bottle, let sit in cup of hot water for 30 mins. Remove & cool. Then strain thru a coffee filter. You have your concentrated flavor to work with.

As for PG & VG you can find it at Wizard labs or other vendor that sells DIY supplies. I get mine at High Desert Vapes. bnrk

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
Dow Propylene Glycols

Hi manji1,
IDK who makes the best or if there is a "best". But, Dow -And when purity matters, turn to the product that offers confidence and security. DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP offers among the highest purity and most consistent quality available – with a specified purity of 99.8 percent or greater, non-detectable MEG/DEG contents, adherence to Joint IPEC-PQG Good Manufacturing Practices for Pharmaceutical Excipients, and a two-year shelf life when stored according to Dow’s recommendations. Think of it as “your security for purity.”

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
read the stickies, USP grade is #1, most everyone sells USP grade PG/VG. As long as it says USP, it is all the same. I shopped strictly on price. BTW I buy walmart aspirin also, Bayer is too expensive.
No offence whatsoever but I have to disagree with this. I buy generic aspirin as well. When it comes to things that I taste, I am quite a bit more picky. Would I buy cheap scotch or generic olive oil, heck no. I have tried many different juices from a handful of vendors and I can say for sure not all base is created equal. USP is a manufacturing standard, it doesn't mean that there isn't a high end or a low end to that.

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
Well if you want quality, I've heard the most positive things about Wizard Labs, and it's where I just grabbed my nic base and VG from. They also happen to have great prices (best I could find on nic base) (more cost does not always equal better). Others I've heard people use are MyFreedomSmokes and RTS vapes. I grabbed a gallon of PG from Essential Depot for $38 shipped. It's USP, they claim quality as it's intended for esmoking right on the label, works for me.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Last edited:

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2012
    Herkimer NY
    To do extraction flavors, fill a 30 ml glass bottle with something like tea leaves or coffee, fill rest of bottle with PG. Nuke in microwave for 10 seconds, let cool, fill up bottle with more PG as it has been absorbed into the leaves/grounds etc. Cap bottle, let sit in cup of hot water for 30 mins. Remove & cool. Then strain thru a coffee filter. You have your concentrated flavor to work with.

That is awesome--- I now plan on making some NET from cigar and pipe tobacco, plus anything else I can stuff in a bottle and nuke

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2012
    BELLE VERNON PA.
    No offence whatsoever but I have to disagree with this. I buy generic aspirin as well. When it comes to things that I taste, I am quite a bit more picky. Would I buy cheap scotch or generic olive oil, heck no. I have tried many different juices from a handful of vendors and I can say for sure not all base is created equal. USP is a manufacturing standard, it doesn't mean that there isn't a high end or a low end to that.

Though I am not as picky after smoking for 40 years, I agree with you and there are differences in quality, even within the "USP". Some of the more picky taste-testers can tell a big difference in some of the PG/VG.
    As far as the nic goes, well, wl has fans, but the most current reviews for the American made nic from RTS is very favorable. Reviewed by wolcen, comparing RTS and WL ice, which is not stocked for now and is loved my many :)

ECF Veteran
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More RTS vs WL Ice

Refer also to post 839 in this thread.

I've had the two on hand (WL Ice and RTS) for well over a month now.

I'll continue to buy from WL for personal reasons, but in terms of clarity, th, flavor - so far, I consider them pretty darn near equivalent. This is a far cry from the RTS I originally purchased well over a year ago in VG (these are both PG) - and again I'm very surprised no one has noted a clear difference in the newer batches, leading me again to think I received an unusual batch previously. I do know that RTS has had two suppliers and even they say there is a noted difference between them - why they would not stick to whichever this came from only is beyond me. Last I heard (probably a month ago now) they were also considering a possible purchase of one of the labs, so maybe this all has changed again. I haven't really been on ECF for about a month, so I've some catching up to do.

In any case, and this is coming from someone who is not a big supporter RTS, but based on the RTS nic I received from Judgment Affirmed (no lot number, but he received them 12-28-12): to my taste buds - so far*, I call this a tie. I do think there is actually a subtle difference, but the bottom line to me is this: I have tried numerous times to pick out which is which in a blind taste test, and so far I cannot do so with any level of accuracy. It's just too hard testing them back to back for me. Now, by "so far", I mean this was testing on a modified (for dripping) CE9 w/Kanthal & cotton @ 1.5ohm / 5V. I'm going to mix fresh batches of 30mg (or maybe 24mg - 30mg is too much for me now I think) to try again. Today I received a mini-RDA and with the stock coil/wick, I feel I'm getting much better flavor than I was on the CE9. If I can finally *regularly* pick out one from the other, I'll certainly update with that. I only had several drops of each left in my test batches but I get the sense I might be able to finally nail them down.

It will be interesting to hear what Cyrus Vap thinks anyways. He clearly seems to have a knack for this sort of testing and I know he's got the equipment he knows how to get the best flavor from already. I sent him about 30ml of this same nic. Unless he has finally moved, this should reach him first thing next week. Of course for any review from him, you now have to trust a longer chain of custody: Judgment Affirmed [someone that has had a pretty clear openness/lack of bias in my opinion and has even pointed out an unfair statement of my own] and myself. Hopefully those who have seen us both around can vouch for us. I think so anyway but you may have your doubts - I dunno. Only fair to let it be known what's up either way.

I did try some titrations finally, and I had a nice "Homer moment": when I did the WL nic, I was like "uh oh... maybe I did something wrong? That's WAY too little 0.1N H2SO4... oh, right - that's 60MG not 100MG" (DOH!)

I used the calculator on WL's site to do the math for the MG levels. All were 1ml samples and I got the following:

Vendor: mls H2SO4 added/ Result (Labeled MG)
    RTS: 6.2 / 100.6mg (100)
    WL: 3.62 / 58.7mg (60)
    GP: 2.13 / 34.6mg (36)

Honestly, I thought that WL may be a little low, or the others would be high, but they are pretty spot-on. The GP (Good Prophets) - I really thought was going to be higher than normal - this stuff has SERIOUS BITE (it is well aged)! My reasoning for thinking the WL might be low (or the RTS high) is that the RTS for whatever reason seems to have slightly more "effect" or "buzz". The slight variances are most likely my not so great testing equipment. Also of note: I've had no further headaches, which I had originally suspected *may* have been from RTS. These appear to have been from the pumpkin flavoring I used in one of the early RTS mixes.

Enjoy folks

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    I am not sure if this is how some extract tobacco, head on over to the natural tobacco thread for instructions. Someone on EFC gave me these extracting instructions for coffee and it works on tea as well. I have some vanilla Chi Tea I need to try it with :) I was also thinking of trying it with vanilla beans. bnrk

That is awesome--- I now plan on making some NET from cigar and pipe tobacco, plus anything else I can stuff in a bottle and nuke

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2012
    Herkimer NY
    I am not sure if this is how some extract tobacco, head on over to the natural tobacco thread for instructions. Someone on EFC gave me these extracting instructions for coffee and it works on tea as well. I have some vanilla Chi Tea I need to try it with :) I was also thinking of trying it with vanilla beans. bnrk

I did some further research and your method is on point- :vapor: can be used for tobacco too!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread