Three parallel battery mech mod, what coil resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrasyn

Mar 13, 2018
DXB
Hi veterans,

This is probably a bit of a silly question to you guys but I just want to double check. I know nobody else that uses mechs and we have no brick and mortars here that I can pop in to and ask questions.

So the thing is this. A friend brought me a three parallel battery squonk mech mod from abroad. He thought it would be regulated and freaked out when he unpacked it back home and it turned out to be a mech, and he then gave it to me as I’m the only one using mechs that he knows. Most people here use screw-in coils on playmobil setups. :)

Now, my mechs are all ‘one battery’ types and I feel confident using those. I know ohms law and I know my batteries. This is however my first multi battery thingy.

So now for the real questions.

1) For as far as my reasoning takes me, a 3-bat parallel build can go as far as the single battery voltage, and triple the CDC. Am I right?

2) So that means I could use builds going as far down as 0.05 ohm and still be well in the safe zone of three prime LG’s, being 55-60A. Am I right?

3) If I may be so candid to ask, what would you as veterans throw in as a coil setup in this, would you say ‘ooh wow three batteries, great for my single coil 0.8 ohm builds’ or is it the opposite, ‘ooh wow three batteries, time to get out the 20g SS and wrap me a dual .05 build’. I would also appreciate a short insight in the reasoning for that, if you don’t mind.

As for my own thoughts, I’m not afraid of using this with normal, run of the mill coils. It’s probably fine. But I would like to know for sure if my reasoning on the extreme option is valid. Low ohm builds are very attractive and I’d like to get a bit of a cloud going with this mod, it’s just inviting me to try something extreme. I just want to be safe and keep my hands. ;)

Thank you for your time and answers!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi veterans,

This is probably a bit of a silly question to you guys but I just want to double check. I know nobody else that uses mechs and we have no brick and mortars here that I can pop in to and ask questions.

Not silly at all :)

So the thing is this. A friend brought me a three parallel battery squonk mech mod from abroad. He thought it would be regulated and freaked out when he unpacked it back home and it turned out to be a mech, and he then gave it to me as I’m the only one using mechs that he knows. Most people here use screw-in coils on playmobil setups. :)

Now, my mechs are all ‘one battery’ types and I feel confident using those. I know ohms law and I know my batteries. This is however my first multi battery thingy.

So now for the real questions.

1) For as far as my reasoning takes me, a 3-bat parallel build can go as far as the single battery voltage, and triple the CDC. Am I right?

The 3 batteries in parallel will output the same voltage as one battery. Always put in batteries that are the same model, have close to the same number of charge/discharge cycles on them and are at very close to the same voltage as each other (I try to be within about +-0.1v). Also check battery voltages when you take them out. They should still be very close.

Yes, the combined continuous current rating for the triple cells will be 3 X a single cell.

2) So that means I could use builds going as far down as 0.05 ohm and still be well in the safe zone of three prime LG’s, being 55-60A. Am I right?

I don't know which LG you are referring to. If your battery will safely handle 20A continuous, three in parallel will be just as safe at 60A.

If you would like a second opinion on how your battery actually tests out, Mooch has a great battery blog here with a lot of batteries tested.

A 0.05 ohm build will draw around 84A with the batteries at 4.2V (around 350 watts) as per the Steam Engine ohm's law calculator. That is too high for 20A cells for me. It is also difficult to accurately measure resistance that low, so the build could actually be say 0.035 ohms (0.015 less than 0.05) and then the build will draw 120A. That would be way too much to consider safe.

You've got so many amps available with this mod, it will be very easy to get tons of power while staying safely within your safe battery amp capability. Also, the mAh of the three cells combined also gets multiplied by 3, so if you vape this mod at the same wattage you are vaping at now the batts will last 3 times longer on a charge :cool:

3) If I may be so candid to ask, what would you as veterans throw in as a coil setup in this, would you say ‘ooh wow three batteries, great for my single coil 0.8 ohm builds’ or is it the opposite, ‘ooh wow three batteries, time to get out the 20g SS and wrap me a dual .05 build’. I would also appreciate a short insight in the reasoning for that, if you don’t mind.

So to review, with this mod you can build in comparison to a one battery mod at 1/3 the resistance, which increases both amp draw and watt output by 3 times.

A given atty will vape well in a fairly well known wattage range. Things like atty geometry, air flow design and maximum air flow available all come into play. When I got my first 150 watt mod I experimented with higher wattages with a couple of drippers I had that could do a fair bit of power, but they couldn't do 150 watts comfortably. My experience with 100 watt setups in them was quite successful though and I learned a lot about what watt range I liked.

IMO, experiment away, within the safe limits of your hardware and your batteries. One thing I would suggest if you want to try higher power is go up in reasonable steps to get a feel for how your atties handle it and how higher power setups vape in general.

Stay safe and have fun xtrasyn :thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread